• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

Good news for those of us who like the ST3 phaser. Word through the grapevine is that it is in serious consideration for the next Trek Tek release. Odd they want to do that before more well known phasers like the assault phaser or boomerang or even the cobrahead. I guess DST is trying to do the releases in order of the movie they come from perhaps? After that, maybe we'll see the assault phaser.

Hopefully they will work in the working lights on top for the P1 as it had four sequencing LEDs at the top as well as a group of LEDs in the trapezoidal shaped "trigger" on the top. With the TWOK phaser having all the lights working, I have confidence DST will give the ST3 phaser the same treatment. They appear to be raising the bar with every Tek release. Hopefully that will continue to remain true. DST has come closer to true prop replicas than any other toy company ever has. If they continue on this route, they will rival MR or other mass production prop houses and offer better prices at that.

As for movie trics and comms, I'd rather see the ST5/6 communicator and tricorder before any others. I think those are the most interesting visually and electronically. They are more reminiscent of their TOS counterparts than anything from TMP or TWOK and the electronics are cooler than the ST3/4 versions they were based on. Although I'd love to see a TMP tricorder as well after that.

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

That would be quite interesting to see, I've never been too concerned about the ST3 design, but have been warming up to it recently.

As for the assault phaser, I'm certain we'll see it eventually. Especially since TUC's 20th anniversary is 2011.

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

Well I like this news indeed. Has any other company produced this phaser yet? It would be uncharacteristic of DST to do a prop that hasn't been done by another company. I do applaud them for making affordable and excellent pieces.

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

YES!!! that is my favorite phaser. I do hope they decide to do it.

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

No other company has done it that I am aware of. Not even in water pistol form like the TOS and the motion picture ones were done.

#6 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Oct 13 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be uncharacteristic of DST to do a prop that hasn't been done by another company.

To be fair to DST, they actually haven't done that many Trek Tek releases. The TOS communicator is the only DST original release so far and even that was a retooling of the STTE (which was a copy of the MR). The upcoming tricorder and TWOK phaser will be the first releases that were commissioned completely by DST from the very beginning and will be the first true DST originals.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 13 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair to DST, they actually haven't done that many Trek Tek releases. The TOS communicator is the only DST original release so far and even that was a retooling of the STTE (which was a copy of the MR). The upcoming tricorder and TWOK phaser will be the first releases that were commissioned completely by DST from the very beginning and will be the first true DST originals.

Are you sure the tricorder and TWOK phaser aren't retooling from another company as well?

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

The tricorder is based on the HMS kit from Rod.com but the prototype was made by HMS themselves at DST's request. The TWOK phaser prototype was made by an independent prop maker, also at DST's request. These are not retoolings or copies of previously released toys or completed props and are projects commissioned from the ground up by DST.

#9 onebuckfilms

onebuckfilms

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

I do know one thing, the TOS Phaser and Communicator are fantastic, especially the Communicator !!!

The Communicator looks and feels like the "real thing", and even the placement of the screws in the bottom matched the screw holes seen on screen.

The Phaser, with the exception of some holes for screws on one side, looks almost identical to the screen used item to me.

I was never a Toy collector or anything, but I do have Starfleet Uniforms for Comic-Con etc., and a Fan Film I have brewing, but I have become a fan of these.

To my mind, they are almost prop replicas, and if the Tricorder and TWOK Phaser match the quality of the Communicator and TOS Phasers, then I will be very happy.

As for the Star Trek III phaser, if this rumor is true, then it'll be great to see it done well.

Personally, I'd like to see a Communicator and/or Tricorder to go along with the TWOK phaser, but if they do a Star Trek III Phaser and Communicator, then that would be fantastic.

The Trek II communicator looks somewhat blocky.

#10 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

True TWOK communicator is blocky but if it comes with Kirk and Khan's dialogue from the movie so much the better! "KHANNNNNNN!!!" The exchange between Kirk and Spock would be cool too! " By the book."

#11 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Oh man...I'd kill for a TWOK communicator that screams "Khaaaaannnnn!". That would be the bee's knees.

Sallah

#12 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (onebuckfilms @ Oct 14 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To my mind, they are almost prop replicas, and if the Tricorder and TWOK Phaser match the quality of the Communicator and TOS Phasers, then I will be very happy.

I'm hoping, since these two upcoming products are the first original Trek Tek releases from DST, they will actually be better than the previous Tek releases.

#13 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

Great news!!!

This is my favorite phaser, and no one has ever made one.

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

I have always placed that Phaser as my #2 favorite with the Assault Phaser as #1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users