• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#681 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

Interested in a review of the first few episodes when it comes out to see if it's going to have a familiar Star Trek feel.Glad that awful Lorca character is gone.

#682 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

That's an interesting trailer. I still have no interest in the show based off that, but I was really surprised at some of the comedy they threw in there. I think it's beyond doubt that The Orville has had an influence on the show and they're trying to bring a little of that comedy to this as well. Perhaps they heard a lot of the "Orville is better than Discovery" comments from fans and didn't realize it wasn't the comedy but rather sci-fi writing that made it better. In any case it still goes back to my main issue with the show in that it's heavily influenced by the trends and styles of current TV rather than simply being it's own thing. Looks like a fun show though for those who like that sort of thing!

#683 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

I think they’ve definitely taken the “it’s too dark and serious” complaints from season 1 into consideration here.

This seems way more lighthearted, which is great. They’ve also improved the visuals, it seems the grainy blue filter is gone and it looks nice and crisp.

#684 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

I absolutely loved season one and thought it was great. I can't wait for season two.

#685 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Yeah this season looks promising!

#686 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:12 AM

I think they’ve definitely taken the “it’s too dark and serious” complaints from season 1 into consideration here.

This seems way more lighthearted, which is great. They’ve also improved the visuals, it seems the grainy blue filter is gone and it looks nice and crisp.

These were the two things I noted right off as well, and I agree.

... I was really surprised at some of the comedy they threw in there. I think it's beyond doubt that The Orville has had an influence on the show and they're trying to bring a little of that comedy to this as well. 

In any case it still goes back to my main issue with the show in that it's heavily influenced by the trends and styles of current TV rather than simply being it's own thing. 

We'll have to see how the comedy plays out, but hasn't trek always tried to be at least in sync with the current TV trends? For instance, we know that that the TOS uni style were basically picked to highlight the trend of color TV which was new. 

Its tough to tell from just a trailer what they will do with a full season, but I got a sense that they are getting back to some basic exploring... with a bit of "searching for Spock"... dang that guy is always getting lost! Lost in the TOS U... lost in TNG (searching for him on Romulus)... Lost in the Kelvin U... and now lost again! You'd think they would put a gps tracker on him or something?!!

Ok, because we have to have something to complain about... I'll complain about Pikes Uni. Close. but a swing and  miss IMO... If your gonna go retro... just go there. 

In the end, the writing for S1 was still a big enough mess that I may wait for the entire season to release and then binge watch it in a month. I like where this trailer is going... just not sure they got there based on what we've been hearing... and, IMO, Isaacs and Yeoh were the stars of S1... a bit disappointing to not even see Yeoh in the trailer... I hope shes incorporated into S2. 

#687 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Ok... this trailer looks incredible! They are hitting on the classic theme of going where no one has gone before and exploring... boy it looks great... I was gonna skip this season and binge it later... but golly... I may cave based on this trailer!

https://www.cbs.com/...=AAM-00-10afd3a

#688 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

When they make the episodes full of ten billion plot and character reversals, and then add a mirror universe to create reversals on reversals, I felt like a full week in between episodes was too long...  I couldn't remember everything I was supposed to remember to make sense of it all.  In that sense I like to binge stuff these days.  It also makes watching shows that save most of their gusto for mid-season and season finales (Walking Dead) much easier to watch because you don't get that feeling everyone else had of "please make something happen"...

But, for Star Trek, I put up with weekly viewing.

#689 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

This is interesting:
https://twitter.com/...5337286656?s=20

Wonder if theyll lighten up on some of the face makeup to making talking\emoting easier, or if theyll add hair and facial hair which alone would drastically improve the look.

#690 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

I just want them to quit doing 10 min monologues in badly broken Klingon with sub-text. Unwatchable!

#691 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

Because alien races should all look the same, just like humans all look the same.  :rolleyes:

#692 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Because alien races should all look the same, just like humans all look the same.  :rolleyes:

Actually from an outsiders perspective humans do all look alike. We all have the same basic shape, features and characteristics. Despite our own beliefs we are all the same color with only varying different shades.

#693 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

Yet when we apply the same degree of variety to aliens suddenly they're a totally different race.

themotionpicture0025.jpg

"Those aren't Klingons! Klingons look like Space Mexicans!"

#694 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

We have a new Spock.

https://www.hollywoo...an-peck-1134570

#695 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

We have a new Spock.

https://www.hollywoo...an-peck-1134570

Cool. I can't wait to see what he brings to he character.

#696 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

His grandfather's voice? I honestly don't know what Ethan sounds like. I guess I could go to the Google...

#697 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

Quarrels and reconciliations with his adoptive sister.

Yay...

#698 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Quarrels and reconciliations with his adoptive sister.

Yay...

Spock's such a drama queen when it comes to family.

il_340x270.734413556_tgmy.jpg

#699 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Ethan Peck's eyebrows are all wrong!!! 

:P  :D  :lol:  :roflmao:  

#700 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

DISCO S1 coming to Blu-ray and DVD.

Just some observations;

@  ~$55 for the Season, you could basically buy it cheaper than the 1 year sub price. 

The cost is a bit north of $4 per episode, which at ~3 episodes per month (assuming you didn't cancel for the "break") your a bit more than the $10 streaming price per month... if you canceled for the break months then you would come out better. 

These will eventually make there way into libraries where you can rent for free!

This announcement was sooner than I thought...   I guess I thought they would want to keep the content exclusive longer to encourage more subs to sign up. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users