• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

I think they did. they def crossed a line they shouldn't have. 

Offering a deal to license it would be the way to go... in fact... if they want to continue as a 501© and make sure that CBS gets a profit from a non-profit... I'd say they couldn't complain... but they probably would.

#22 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

Im wondering if Axanar didnt ruin it for everyone, if CBS would have just let Continues... continue.

Yeah they probably did. I think Its not really completely their fault, they didnt know Discovery was going to occupy the same time period.

#23 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

It was their fault.

They were selling products with Star Trek branding on it.

They were planning on using a studio funded by Star Trek fans to make other, for profit films.

Alec Peters and Axanar completely ruined fan films for everyone.

#24 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Im wondering if Axanar didnt ruin it for everyone, if CBS would have just let Continues... continue.

Yeah they probably did. I think Its not really completely their fault, they didnt know Discovery was going to occupy the same time period.

#25 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

It was their fault.

They were selling products with Star Trek branding on it.

They were planning on using a studio funded by Star Trek fans to make other, for profit films.

Alec Peters and Axanar completely ruined fan films for everyone.

I agree they were pushing the limits much further than they should. I think had they not chosen the same basis for their story as Discovery they might have simply gotten a warning or something less severe.

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Bastards! Hang'ins too good for 'em! ;-)

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I think "Continues" is very well done in the tradition of TOS, which is what it was meant to look like. I enjoy their attention to detail, trying to get the 1960's feel to it. I don't think I've ever said that this is what we should have on CBS in the place of Discovery. I do wish that CBS tried as hard to capture the essance of Star Trek as the "Continues" folks have. If they had tried, they could have updated the TOS aesthetic to look a little more modern , but still faithful to TOS.And I mean everything, not just the communicator , phaser and tricorder.

#28 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

I think episode 3 and 5 are the best. The sequel to Mirror Mirror and the other being one that Kirk and McCoy are transported back to the Civil War. Could it survive on CBS now? No but Discovery is not on CBS broadcast either. They need the space for Young Shelton anyway

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

It's amazing that they did so much with so little money as compared to the staggering cost of Discovery 's episodes, that come in at 8 million an episode. I remember way back when the original Battlestar Galactica was canceled because they said it cost too much at 1 million an episode. Wow.

#30 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

Adjusted for inflation, thats about 3.7 million per episode. Less than some of the more expensive relatively recent shows.

Game of Thrones averaged just north of $10 million an episode, with the upcoming last season being around 15 million each if I remember right.

Times certainly have changed for TV.

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Could it survive on CBS now? No but Discovery is not on CBS broadcast either.

To imply Discovery couldn't either is Speculative at best... many other fans think it can't make it on the streaming service... but its apples and oranges anyway... Discovery is more like a Mini Series... and if broadcast as such... I bet it'd do fine, but CBS is looking to use it to boost AA subs... so its really got a different purpose. 

#32 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Broadcast has never been Star Trek's friend.

The very first pilot was canned by the network.

TOS was almost canceled after only its second season and was eventually canceled after its third.

TAS was canceled after only 22 episodes despite winning an Emmy.

VOY struggled to its seventh season, network ratings split between broadcast and syndication.

ENT limped into its fourth season where it was finally canceled.

Only TNG and DS9 were truly successful thanks to being available exclusively in syndication and not at the whim of network executives.

Putting Trek behind a paywall certainly hasn't hurt the franchise.

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Yep. We'll see what and how it does behind the paywall! 

#34 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

People have been paying to see Star Trek behind a paywall for years on Netflix and Hulu. If it wasn't doing well for Netflix I doubt they'd have paid to produce Discovery.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

They have been pretty much running all the shows in syndication over air non-stop for awhile now. Clearly each show has its fans! I forget which channel it is... but they run A TOS, then a TNG, then a DS9, then a VOY and Finally an ENT episode every night. 5 hours. Starts at 7pm and ends at midnight.

#36 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

A little off the topic of STC, but along the lines of what happened with fan films, it seems CBS is continuing to find new ways to destroy Star Trek fandom.

https://youtu.be/-0zycZdKymg

Im absolutely disgusted by this. For those that didnt follow this project it was simply a group that was designing a 3D environment based on the Enterprise D. They werent selling anything or creating a product. It was simply a group of people imaging what the ship would look like and sharing their designs.

#37 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

So you're screwing some other guy's wife. You know she'd married. You accept that she's married. You even expect to get caught at some point and things will be over.

But when you finally do get caught you try talking to her husband saying, "Hey, can't we share? I really liking screwing her. It's only about the sex. I'm not trying to steal her heart. She's totally yours but it'd be great if you would allow me and my friends to have at her. After all, we have been paying for her. We're kind of invested at this point. Okay?"

No.

Go create Orville 2.0 or whatever.

#38 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:50 AM

So you're screwing some other guy's wife. You know she'd married. You accept that she's married. You even expect to get caught at some point and things will be over.

But when you finally do get caught you try talking to her husband saying, "Hey, can't we share? I really liking screwing her. It's only about the sex. I'm not trying to steal her heart. She's totally yours but it'd be great if you would allow me and my friends to have at her. After all, we have been paying for her. We're kind of invested at this point. Okay?"

No.

Go create Orville 2.0 or whatever.

I admit fanfilms are kind of in a grey area like youre referring to. This is a whole other level. These guys werent making a show, they were just having fun imagining what the ship as a whole would look like. Its no different than many people in this very forum making custom figures or dioramas. Kind of like the Mayweather helm 3D print file that was just shared here. Whats next are they going to start going to conventions and handing out C&D letters to people who made theyre own costumes. Its all getting just a bit ridiculous. It seems as though CBS just simply wants people to sign up for their streaming service watch the content and not take it past that.

I love the fan community around Star Trek. Unfortunately it seems CBS just doesnt want that to exist. Im just getting kind of tired of it and its a big turn off to whats left of this once great franchise.

#39 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

CBS and Paramount need to stick to a coherent policy regarding this kind of thing. They're sending mixed messages. Either fully embrace the fandom with consistent, common sense guidelines or let it be known no one is to screw with the IP.

#40 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

It sucks, big time even. But it is their right to shut any unlicensed fan-projects down, if we like it or not. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users