• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Like dozens of other composers I wrote a theme to submit as a demo for the new Star Trek series.  It was a long shot (think from here to the Delta Quadrant) but it was also something I just wanted to do for myself.  I didn't have much to go on at the time (a little over a year ago) so I just thought of the other shows and what space exploration might sound like coming from me.  I rallied the best of the best and even got legend Dennis Sands to record and mix (he did the Avengers score for Silvestri!).  So here's the Hollywood Studio Symphony performing the music at the Warner Bros. Eastwood Scoring Stage:

https://www.facebook...54957947715406/

I know this is a discerning audience, so I hope you enjoy it.

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Wow! I like it.

#3 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

I actually really like that.

There was one posted on Reddit a while back which I didn't care for, but this is nice.

#4 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

Really like it. Timbre is spot on, and I still love that bit around 1:09. It's been really tempting to post on those recent 'Discovery Theme' posts from that other guy - the one who's tune sounds like Superman if he had an NFL entrance, saying that I've heard something far better. Share this far and wide dude, as it's brilliant. Instantly makes me think of Star Trek when listening. :)

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Really like it. Timbre is spot on, and I still love that bit around 1:09. It's been really tempting to post on those recent 'Discovery Theme' posts from that other guy - the one who's tune sounds like Superman if he had an NFL entrance, saying that I've heard something far better. Share this far and wide dude, as it's brilliant. Instantly makes me think of Star Trek when listening. :)

Is this the one you're talking about?

https://youtu.be/rrnR5zAJC_g

That's the one I was talking about.

DJC, you should post yours on Reddit for a wider audience.

#6 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yeah dude, that sounds like the one (same guy): http://ncc-1031.com/...-been-revealed/

And yeah DJC, you totally should. :)

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Yeah dude, that sounds like the one (same guy): http://ncc-1031.com/...-been-revealed/

And yeah DJC, you totally should. :)

It's sounds way too much like Galaxy Quest, DJC's is much better. It has a good repeating catchy sound that most series have.

#8 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:23 PM

Thank you kind gentlemen!  I'm not a Reddit-er but maybe I'll snoop around over there to see where I might post it.  It was like pulling teeth to get myself to put it on Facebook and here, out of fear of super harsh criticism and discomfort in the whole self-promotion thing.  

Through some colleagues I was able to send it to someone involved in the production.  This person also gave me a few more descriptive words about the tone of the show and the sound they might be looking for.  I knew that this recording wasn't quite right based on the new brief, so I quickly created a second version electronically to send along:

http://www.musicdani...n.com/discdemo2

An agent was also helping me get to the right folks but also warned that so many big names were really going after this gig.  It is daunting to try to compete with more established composers who have more well-known credits to their name.  I still call it a win to challenge myself to try and even better that a few other Trek fans got to hear it.

#9 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

This is really great! It to me kind of feels like what new Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek music might sound like. 

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I love that. Not only could I hear it as opening theme but I could also hear parts of it being used throughout the show for different types of scenes. Very well done.

#11 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

This is really great! It to me kind of feels like what new Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek music might sound like.

I love that. Not only could I hear it as opening theme but I could also hear parts of it being used throughout the show for different types of scenes. Very well done.

Thank you both!

#12 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Great score djc. I like the other score by Charles-Henri Avelange too, although it does sound far too much like Galaxy Quest.

It's hard to create something original for a TV series that has such a rich musical heritage to it but my personal opinion of the Star Trek: Discovery theme is that it should reflect the themes used in TOS. Not necessarily the main, opening theme to TOS but certainly something that uses the same tones and melodies.

In a ways the themes used in Star Trek Beyond would be great for Discovery.

#13 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

I actually had the same thought as you 1701, it should sound similar to TOS.

#14 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

It's easy to only remember the theme tune but there was some outstanding music being done for TOS. It was all so original and never generic. It was otherworldly but powerful, dramatic, bombastic, it really took me into the Wild West of space. Star Trek: Discovery's music needs that quality.

I hope whatever comes out for Discovery isn't just generic fanfare or TV sci-if music.

Honestly... I like them both but I feel that both of these samples, whilst very well put together, come across as generic sci-if music. There's nothing in either that separate them from being for another franchise like Stargate for example.

#15 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

I'm utterly blown away by this, djc!

Magnificent work, a really professional-grade, top quality piece of art. How lucky you are to have access to an orchestra of that calibre!

#16 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

I'm utterly blown away by this, djc!
Magnificent work, a really professional-grade, top quality piece of art. How lucky you are to have access to an orchestra of that calibre!

You, sir, are a prince! Thank you.

#17 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

It's easy to only remember the theme tune but there was some outstanding music being done for TOS.

Agreed. I find myself humming the Romulan theme from "Balance of Terror" or even the Vulcan fight music from "Amok Time" every now and then...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users