Thoughts?

http://trekmovie.com...itch-tv-series/

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

Well after seeing the bitching and moaning in the comment section,I'm not even gonna go there,lol! Trekkers.....never satisfied. LOL! I'm just kidding. I read some of the script for the pilot and it sounds like it could be a good show. Would I watch it? DEFO! But I do get the feeling that even if it didn't have Star Trek in the title,it could be a good enough show and I'd still watch it. I love my sci fi,and will watch ANYthing.....ONCE! If I like it,I'll watch it more than once. I'm open to giving anything a chance. Yes,even Sharknado. ROFL!

J-R!

#3 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Interesting concept, I like the idea of them jumping forward again after TNG and going to a new galaxy, lot of story potential there. Not sure about the ship though, I like it, but it looks like they ripped the design/idea off from STO. I'm also curious why the registry is 1701-A, doesn't make much sense to me. 

So he owned the domain of startrekbeyond.com... I wonder if he sold it to paramount, or just gave it to them. 

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

I didn't read the script... but the basic ideology he outlined seems ok. I don't think its all that ground breaking as DS9 and ENT started building story arcs that overlap. I do agree that they need to get people to think through what tech may look like in the future and update allot of it. 

There is no reason why they couldn't pickup after DS9/VOY sometime...  but the real issue is people seem to really like more dystopic stories these days. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad,  and The Walking Dead. are certainly all dystopic, which makes me wonder if  people would rather see something that combined Asmov's Foundation with Star Trek... where colonist are sent to the fringes of the universe and forced to innovate, adapt, and progress to ensure the ultimate survival of the Federation.

#5 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:06 AM

Just for the fact that Paramount have asked this guy to pitch his ideas to them is great as any new Star Trek project will go through various changes before we see anything being shot.

Personally I find the idea a little dull. Id like to see something that continues on from where the comic book "Countdown" left the prime universe.

A Netflix produced series that features the likes of Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Wil Wheaton, Jonathan Frakes, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis and LeVar Burton reprising their roles as the characters we know and love whilst over the course of say 10 - 13 hour long episodes introducing new characters and naturally moving away from the established TNG cast until by the end of the series you have a new crew.

A new series set within the prime universe's 24th century could also feature appearances by the DS9 and Voyager casts too.

From a flagship show you could then build upon and expand the established 24th century Trek universe by doing a Klingon-based series for example featuring General Worf (not captain), you could do a NCIS type of series, and of course a Starfleet Academy series.

Build a Star Trek franchise out of the familiar surroundings of a universe already established and build new elements for new and old fans young and old from those established stories, ships and characters. (Like Star Wars is doing).

You could then potentially produce an anthology TV series on top of all of this so that you could expand on characters and stories already established within the timeline.

Although an Anthology series would be awesome and still something that should be considered, the advantage of doing a series that isn't shoehorned into established series or episodes is that you can truly imagine new types of technology that don't necessarily conform to the Star Trek architecture as we know it so far. For example, what would a communicator look like now? Would it be a flip phone type thing or a simple badge worn on your uniform or would it be something else? An implant in the brain or the eye or something? Maybe Starfleet have finally implemented some Borg tech into their fleet!

A new Star Trek series needs to eventually go beyond what we already know as Star Trek.

#6 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

I have seen something like this posted somewhere else before, don't remember if it was here or not. 

I want a series that's similar to Game of Thrones, obviously not as vicious/gorey, but more realistic. When I say realistic what I mean is that there is no plot armor for the cast, or even the ship for that matter. Anyone could die at any time, or leave the ship for new assignments/transfers/promotions. There wouldn't be random red shirt of the week, there would be genuine concern for people when they went on away missions or were injured. 

The ship could be destroyed, or heavily damaged, and out of commission for a season while we'd follow any surviving crew to new assignments.

The series could even take place across multiple ships/stations, even follow junior members of the crew instead of just the senior staff which would give a broader perception of what its like serving in Starfleet. 

As for a timeframe, I feel jumping forward a century like TNG did would be a good way to do it. This would help keep the series fresh, but familiar, and allow them to explore new things instead of staying in the 24th century. I kind of like the idea of the TNG cast introducing us to a new crew, but feel the 24th century has been done, and we need a fresh setting.

#7 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

If Trek is to survive on tv it needs to follow how Nexflix and HBO has done.  Im not smart enough to say what it should be because Im a person thats stuck in the past when it comes to Trek.  We need new ideas and a new take on things.

#8 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

I like the sounds of it and would watch it.

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Some of the elements that I find are fundamental to Star Trek are twofold 1) optimism for the future, while 2) providing an introspective view of who and what we currently are. Most shows are these days are very dystopic, and thus thats why I suggested a merger of something like Foundation and Trek. I think it would add an edge that people want these days. The other issue is how to add that introspective view... traditionally it was done with characters like Spock, The Dr., 7 of 9, Data, or T'Pol. Star Trek Celebrates diversity... and I think maybe going the other direction... a colony of just humans would help bring forth story lines that show the ramifications of lack of diversity?

I dunno.. its not a bad idea.. it just seems like he's spent decades trying to analyze what would be the least offensive to the largest group of trek fans... that he's taken any edge out of it, and I think people want something with more edge these days.

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

I think setting a Star Trek series in the 25th Century would be ideal. You could literally take that anywhere without treading on anything that has come before it introducing new fans whilst honouring the current fan base by continuing the legacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users