Toy Fair 2017

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

I saw an exchange on the DST Facebook where someone asked them about Star Trek and whomever was answering questions for DST got defensive and was answering pretty much like the Q&A. No real info other than some snarkyness.

Always hated that about them (I say them, but I think you all know 'who' I mean). The contrast between him and the guy who runs NECA's social media accounts, or Ben Robinson - hell, even Eaglemoss' customer service people on their facebook page, is night and day.

#42 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Probably Zach Oat. I don't know what the deal is with DST but that guy needs to go and the whole PR department needs some serious shake up.

#43 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Probably Zach Oat. I don't know what the deal is with DST but that guy needs to go and the whole PR department needs some serious shake up.

They really do need to learn a thing or two about customer service, and not outright arguing or being condescending toward customers.

It comes from the top and trickles down though. A few years ago I was at SDCC for my first trip and went to visit the DST booth. I ran into the head man himself (you guys know who that is) and started talking to him about Star Trek and Stargate and he was very friendly, until he asked where I get my info about products. When I told him mostly from Trektoy, he threw his hands up and said "oh no, one of those guys, you aren't here to beat me up are you"? Then went to talk to someone else.

#44 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Any of you enter the contest DST posted end of December/Early January?

They said a winner would be picked the week after, it still hasn't been.

3 weeks ago I asked when they'd pick someone, they said soon.

I asked again the other day and they said soon again.

How can a company fail so badly at PR?

#45 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

You were the only entrant!  They need at least one more!  

#46 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

You were the only entrant!  They need at least one more!

I wish, they probably had well over 1000 across twitter and Facebook.

#47 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

I think I remember that one. Was it a big lot of Star Trek stuff? I may have entered.
They probably keep picking members from here and going back to try and find someone else. Lol. Yeah.... they're marketing dept sucks.

#48 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

I think I remember that one. Was it a big lot of Star Trek stuff? I may have entered.
They probably keep picking members from here and going back to try and find someone else. Lol. Yeah.... they're marketing dept sucks.

Ya, it was older stuff mostly. One of the things was the gold TOS Enterprise, and an ISS TOS Enterprise. 

#49 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Well this might be nothing but John Van Citters of CBS consumer products - the man responsible for Star Trek merchandise and licensing posted a photo of him at Mattel...

Could it be that they're working with Mattel to do Star Trek product which would include a Mega Construx

#50 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

I kind of hope not. Mattel has let me down over the past few years. Their service and product decisions are really only a step above DST. But on the other hand. They do have worldwide brand recognition. It could be great news that they are trusting a major toy company to handle part of the license for Star Trek. It gives me hope that someone like Neca or Macfarlane could get the 7" license. Splitting up licenses among multiple companies for different things within a franchise seems to be he popular way to go these days.

#51 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

Mattel own Mega Construx/Bloks and Hot Wheels. Both have made Star Trek product in the past so it seems like the logical choice of the relationship is good between cbs and Mattel.

#52 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Interesting thing I haven't seen discussed here is that Chris Pine has a Mattel figure coming for the Wonder Woman movie. This will be a good figure to use as a frame of reference for how any potential Captain Kirk figure might turn out. Good thing about Mattel is they don't shy away from adding female figures in the mix. I have Harley Quinn, Supergirl, Catwoman, etc....I could easily see Uhura, Chapel, Rand, Janeway type strong female role model characters being added to lines!

http://news.toyark.c...t-243831#images

#53 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:13 AM

The fate of the Kelvin Timeline pretty much hangs in he balance as Brad Grey, Paramount CEO resigned. Whoever comes in to replace him may see no interest in continuing with Star Trek movies or Bad Robot, bringing an end to Star Trek movies.

#54 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Nah I saw an article the other day saying that Beyond was the ONLY Paramount movie to break $100million box office, so I'd say the movie franchise has a secure future.

Obviously the proof is in the pudding etc, but Mattel making Star Trek stuff doesn't get me too excited either.

#55 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Nah I saw an article the other day saying that Beyond was the ONLY Paramount movie to break $100million box office, so I'd say the movie franchise has a secure future.

Obviously the proof is in the pudding etc, but Mattel making Star Trek stuff doesn't get me too excited either.

What about the transformers movies though?  The most recent one made $1.1 BILLION.  I dont know how much of that was US vs Global though.  

I like the JJ movies (not as much as TOS, but I still like them), but I can see Beyond as the last of a trilogy.  Had kind of a bittersweet ending that I am satisfied with.  Also I am not sure its a good idea to be shaping a plot around 'Hey Chris Hemsworth wants to return.  Look at us, we have Thor in this movie!  Everyone likes Thor, right?'  If they come out with a fourth movie, Rihanna had better be the villain in it after seeing her music video.

Also I am still mad that they blew up my favorite Enterprise.

#56 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:42 AM

Mattel might not be making Star Trek toys but Mattel do own Mega Bloks so I'd imagine we'll be seeing more Mega Construx sets in the coming months.

As for the Abrams movies, the reason we got them in the first place was due to a regime change at Paramount, otherwise we would of got Star Trek: Beginnings by Band of Brothers scribe Eric Jendressen. That movie would of charted the Romulan Wars...

Star Trek is Paramounts long in the tooth franchise. It's neither a summer blockbuster tentpole movie nor is it a complete flop, so any studio exec coming in would be looking at how they can make a substantial profit from a Star Trek movie if they decided Star Trek was a franchise they felt they could develop.

The fact that Bad Robot are a force to be listened to and respected in the industry now with the help of the success of Star Trek (2009) and of course Star Wars: The Force Awakens among other successful TV shows is a good thing for future Star Trek movies but ultimately if the incoming CEO doesn't like Star Trek, Star Trek won't be made.

#57 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

You can't get all the people excited all the time. Can I ask what about Mattel has people saying no? I was a fan of the Playmates Toys line of Star Trek figures in the 90's and liked everything but was more of a fan of the Galoob 3 3/4" line while it lasted. I liked the Art Asylum/DST figures. I was really turned off by the scale. I am a long time collector of 3 3/4" Star Wars and GIJoe. Playmates came back with what they did and it was painfully obvious they didn't really have a clear idea of what they wanted to do. It's really sad they didn't bring back the 4.5" scale with the new articulation of TMNT. That Casey Jones movie figure is a fine example. Then Hasbro picked up the line and travesty - they DO NOT make any action figures whatsoever!!! Then along comes Megabloks with some truly awesome sets with microfigures that are articulated and has managed to lock down the character likeness in a 2" action figure! I think I would like to see what they could bring to the table in a 6" Mattel Star Trek line. I urge anyone with doubts to check out some of the 6" Halo figures that Mattel is currently producing.

#58 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

For me personally, it's because everything I've seen (including those Halo figures, which are cool for what they are - 343 versions aside lol) is very toy-ish, as in quite obviously made for kids. When it comes to Star Trek, I'm looking for two things - models that match model kits in terms of detail and accuracy, and props that are as close as possible to the show-used versions, screw-hole covers aside.

Regarding my comments above (Beyond making $100m), that is in relation to North American domestic figures, although it also performed the best worldwide out of all the other Paramount films (only one to make more than $250m international).

#59 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm in the same mindset as Jay K.

I don't really have much interest in things that look like toys made for kids.

I've purchased a couple things in the past that I'm really not happy with because of how kiddie they look.

Even the Star Wars Black Series is a stretch for me, but I don't expect a company like Kotobukiya to make the Rebels so I don't really have a choice.

I'd much prefer someone that makes collectors figures, like NECA or even Macfarlane to make figures for Trek.

#60 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

I find that Mezco has that base covered with their One:12 offerings. True they have an incomplete set and nothing from TNG era but that could happen at some point. In this day and age where licenses are all over the place a good toylike line would be great for maybe getting kids back into the line. I know I wouldn't get NECA or Mezco quality figures for my kids though and most kids I've seen have been turned off by collector grade figures. I know their are exceptions to that! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users