• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:11 PM

Borg Cube, MIB, recently sold for $74.99 + free shipping after 1 bid.

This would have been crazy money a year ago, but I suspect that people watching the Picard show are thumbing through eBay on their phones and are finding that something like a Borg cube in that size was only made by Pmates, and a quarter century ago. So if they want something like that, to scale with some Micro Machines, their options are limited.

Having said that, do you think this cube will be opened, or left in box? Because if you wanted a loose cube, those are on offer like once every couple weeks or so.

Needless to say, this will be a hot item throughout the run of the Picard show.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

cube.jpg

#42 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

USS Defiant, MIB, recent sold for $135.00 + $15.00 shipping after 1 bid.

This is a lot of dough for a boxed Defiant these days -- $150 at the door -- but if you want one in the box for some reason, like for an unboxing video or as a gift or something, you could still find them for a bit less.

Well sold. Which I will attribute to the Picard show once again.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

defiant.jpg

#43 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

Two Voyagers, two very different results. I'm not sure what happened with the higher result, but perhaps even the lower result was plenty of dough.

For some reason Voyager, along with the Defiant, remains in very high remand despite the fact that a fairly good number of them were made.

voyagers.jpg

#44 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:33 PM

Enterprise E from Insurrection recently sold for $71.00 + $10.99 shipping after 20 bids.

This is about an average result for this day and age, and these remain in demand.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...&orig_cvip=true

enter-1701.jpg

#45 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:37 PM

USS Defiant, MIB, recently sold for $117.50 + $10.99 after 21 bids.

This is slightly on the high side, but I can't call it crazy money because crazy money is around $200 these days.

However long this link lasts:  https://www.ebay.com...&orig_cvip=true

defiant-aug-20.jpg

#46 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for doing this Morgan, it's fascinating.

#47 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:05 PM

It appears that someone paid ::sigh:: an absolute modern record for an MIB Borg Cube, with this example selling for $100.99 + $11.75 shipping after 4 bids.

Eagle-eyed readers may note that this example was numbered 000348, a fact which was hyped by the seller in the listing. Now, I'm a fan of low numbers and everything, but this is a lot of dough for an MIB item that probably will not be opened for like another 40 years. Low numbers among big ships rarely commanded a premium back in the day, and it's odd that they sometimes do today.

Perhaps this is the effect of the Picard show we're seeing. 

Well sold, as they say.

By the way: is it weird that the cube was not released for FC with just an updated box? Seems like it would have been a fish in a barrel, esp if the outside panels were updated with the FC cube design.

borg.jpg

#48 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Agreed about it being odd they didn't re-release the Cube. Instead, they went for an all-new design with that slightly wonky Borg Sphere toy.

#49 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, the sphere was.... not great in terms of sales at the time, but they were quite limited in what they could plausibly do for the film. I always thought some kind of snap-together, disassembled cube with a sphere that could come out it might have done well, scaled roughly to starfleet Micro Machines ships, like the DS9 station, but even that sounded pricey.

The box art was a little dull too.

The one thing about the sphere that seemed good was the fact that it's about to scale with the E.

I still haven't bought a sphere & haven't seen an example of a loose one in real life. Like the Transporter playset, I always keep putting it off.

#50 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

USS Voyager recently sold for $193.50 + $18.55 shipping after 18 bids.

This is where these have been regularly trading for the past decade or so. Still, the supply of MIB Voyagers is not really drying up after all that. Every month a couple or more go for $150-$220 pretty reliably.

Pretty average result these days really.

This one is numbered around 51000, so think about that volume, who bought these, where they went, and the remaining demand 25 years later. Also, this is a much greater span of time than from the original Star Wars vehicles to the market clamor for them in the late 1990s, for perspective.

vger.jpg

#51 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 08:24 AM

USS Defiant recently sold for $76.00 + $20.00 shipping after 8 bids.

One of the lowest results for a boxed Defiant in recent years, and for you only have to look a some of the posts above. Demand for these remains high, just like with Voyager, and is showing no signs of dissipating.  

Well bought.

defiant.jpg

#52 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, the sphere was.... not great in terms of sales at the time, but they were quite limited in what they could plausibly do for the film. 

It probably wouldn't have been feasible at the time but I would have loved it if they did an Akira or any of the other new fed ships seen in the movie.

#53 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:55 AM

It probably wouldn't have been feasible at the time but I would have loved it if they did an Akira or any of the other new fed ships seen in the movie.

They needed to do an Enterprise-A first, hah! They kinda missed out on some painfully obvious crowd pleasers, that in retrospect seems like merchandising malpractice

Would love some large federation ships like the Akira, Nebula, Ambassador, Miranda, Oberth.

#54 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:46 PM

They needed to do an Enterprise-A first, hah! They kinda missed out on some painfully obvious crowd pleasers, that in retrospect seems like merchandising malpractice

Would love some large federation ships like the Akira, Nebula, Ambassador, Miranda, Oberth.

Yeah same here.

#55 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:55 AM

A loose Defiant recently sold for $97.00 + $9.30 shipping after 18 desperate bids. Tested and works, bottom plug attached and is not missing. No stand.

This is certainly on the high side, as I've seen loose ones go for around $40 to $60 (including one I bought just a couple weeks ago for around $60, with stand and decals intact). But with demand at the moment, it's not all that crazy, even if on the high side. 

Yes, folx, milk and gas prices are going through the roof, and so apparently are Defiant prices.

This is one of those things you can land for about $60 pretty reliably if you watch auctions closely for a few months and just take your time to find a good one. Of course, with the holiday season coming up and so many Trek series now in production, prices aren't going to be great for a while.

defiant-10-2021.jpg

#56 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:33 PM

A Runabout, MIB, recently sold for $34.00 + $9.10 shipping after 4 bids.

If you think about it, this is actually pretty close to how much it it was new just due to 25 years of inflation. So somebody got a bargain here after a quarter century of storage.

These things actually did pretty well at retail, even though I think there were fewer produced than the TNG shuttle for instance. These seemed to have been picked up pretty quickly, along with the station, when they came out. I already did not see them at retail in the summer of 1994 -- they were largely gone.

runabout-11-2021.jpg

#57 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:39 AM

The weird design choice of moving the windows onto the roof always bugged me - and the fact that the scale they chose wouldn't allow you to close the canopy with a figure inside. They should have re-issued these with a redesigned door and a snap-in interior as part of the Innerspace line - or at least compatible with those mini-figures... I think it would have been close to the right scale for them.

EDIT:

Just looked at a toy review of one of them on Youtube (here, if you're interested) and the issues extend beyond the cockpit window mislocation. They deepened the jowels under the cockpit to try to make enough room for the action figure to sit inside... but there wasn't enough anyway! So it just ended up looking cross-eyed and pudgy for no reason... a shame.

#58 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, the artists designed themselves into a corner with this one, it could have certainly had normal windows (could just paint them in with some work). Years ago I did a conversion with the normal windows installed, I cut out the openings with a wood burner and glued in transparent plastic windows. Also attached a weapons pod from the model kit. Took out the whole interior midsection that was taking up room and installed benches in there. I don't have it anymore and don't have pictures of it.

The Innerspace line was dud considering there were so many suitable, smaller vehicles that could have been made roughly to scale. I was just thinking about this the other days -- they could have done in the Innerspace line stuff like the:

- Runabout

- Just all the TNG shuttles

- Merchantman J

- Academy trainers

- TOS shuttle that doesn't open in the center like a toolbox

- Vulcan shuttle Surak

- Spacedock Pod from TMP

- Spacedock shuttle from Search for Spock

- Executive shuttle from Undiscovered Country

- Bajoran fighter

- Klingon shuttle

That's like two dozen vehicles right there. The list just goes on and on.

#59 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:00 PM

Just a crime you dont have pictures of that modification. Take away his replicator rations.

#60 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:09 PM

Enterprise B with stand recently sold for $45.00 + $9.25 shipping after 1 bid.

These are up for auction pretty regularly, but they generally don't crack the $50 barrier. This one barely did with shipping, and that's kind of impressive. Most of these have plastic yellowing issues, sticker issues, etc, so it's hard to find a really clean one. This one seemed about average, and gets bonus points for having a stand, but perhaps not a close-out panel. No info whether anything worked on it was listed. 

The DST model is so much more superior to these, it's kinda wild to see these bring this kind of money, but hey -- it's not about the realism with these. I myself still don't have one tbh.

ent-b-12-2021.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playsets, vehicles, ships, value, auction, result

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users