17 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Independence-Day-Resurgence-Jeff-Goldblu

The trailer for this looks pretty good, but after more than a decade of comic book film launches, relaunches, rerelaunches, do-overs, Mulligans, repudiations, preprequels, disavowals of prequels, and spinoffs, almost any 90s sci-fi sequel is going to look good.

Very promising cast, soured somewhat by Will Smith's absence, but seeing Goldblum, Pullman, Spiner, and Hirsch there sure brought back a lot of feels. (Will Smith, if you're wondering, could not find the time to do the film).

Those who remember the time when the original came out will recall that that was effectively the apotheosis of explosive summer blockbusters of the 1990s, for better or worse. The original was an influential film from a storytelling and special effects standpoint and it debuted during a very favorable time for such films -- there were just a handful of others like Armageddon (1998) that tried to achieve a similar degree of loud spectacle and destruction.

The summer of 1996, culturally, was also an important time for sci-fi as a whole. It was the 30th anniversary of Star Trek, DS9 and Voyager were still on the air, The X-Files was a cultural phenomenon, the Mars Pathfinder probe was launched, NASA announced that it saw some shtuff on a meteorite that could be somethin'.

Trailer:

#2 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

I'm so excited over this, that I went ahead and read the accompanying novel (I couldn't resist!). Film's going to be a full 11/10 if it lives up to the story (which I think it will). I had goosebumps reading it. :D

Judd Hirsch was my favourite character in the first one, and I'm so happy he's back. THEY'D'ALL BE DEAD IF IT WASN'T FOR HIS DAVID. ;)

#3 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

I'm honestly looking forward to this more than Star Trek Beyond. And now with Anton Yelchin's death it going to be so sad to watch, thinking about him.

#4 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

I'm sorry but Independence Day looks like utter trash... Something so throw away that I'm kind of scratching my head as to why we really needed a second Independence Day... It's going to be the same throw away nonsense as the first. Same plot, same story, just bigger.

In contrast, although it's going to be full of action and excitement, at least Star Trek Beyond looks like it has a decent and thought provoking story with deep and meaningful characters.

#5 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

I'm pretty excited to see this one too. The first was a fun ride. I'm not expecting anything with substance but I am expecting it to be another fun entertaining ride.

#6 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

First one is up there with Jurassic Park for me - it scared the shit out of me as a kid (both of them gave me months of nightmares, which made me love them even more lol), and then when I was older, I found a ton of new things to enjoy about it (mostly comedy at how amazingly terrible it is, which I adore). If for no other reason at all, I'm thankful to this series for introducing me to the word 'schlemiel' at aged 10, and teaching me that I could use the word 'vulture' as a term of insult.

1701D, how on earth can you hate this:

:D

#7 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, definitely not a Jacques Cousteau documentary or Exxon Mobil Masterpiece Theatre, but it's not supposed to be serious. The summer blockbuster genre has been, for the past decade, so much dominated by comic book movies that this is almost like a breath of fresh air as well as very timely 90s nostalgia.

Compared to The Transformers franchise and other Michael Bay entries in the summertime ammo expenditure genre, this looks pretty cogent and genuinely tense, with stakes and plot points that can be understood.

#8 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

I'm not saying I hate it but it's still a trashy film with a throw away plot and 2D characters.

I took more offence to you even comparing it to Star Trek Beyond which may not be every Trekkie's cup of tea but will be a darn sight better than ID:Resurgence.

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

I never really considered the first one to really be anything special. It was certainly entertaining, but not much more than that. Both of the new Trek movies were better, and I'm very hopeful that Beyond will be too.

I won't be seeing it in theatres, but will probably redbox it.

#10 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

I'm looking forward to this!

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:18 PM

I can't WAIT to see this movie! Looks like FUN! And who knows which will be the better film,since none of us have actually seen either yet,lol! I look forward to this and Trek,and will enjoy both immensely.

Still pissed off that they cancelled the ID toys shown at Toy Fair in February though. So no Trek Beyond toys and no ID 2 toys?! Oh well,save me a bundle of money I can spend at Comic-Con,and Blast from the Past and Big Kid in L.A.,lol,and go for the vintage stuff. Still missing some of the fun toys from Trendmasters from the first movie.

And no,that POP crap isn't anything I will spend my money on. Gee,I hope this isn't the way of action figures these days! Oh well,even MORE money saved,lol!

And being kinda bored with all the superhero movies lately,this really will be something more fun and entertaining. Yes,your typical summer blockbuster leave your brain at the door and be entertained popcorn movie. LOVE it! And yes,I like Michael Bay movies too. There,I said it. And I know perfectly well what they are,doesn't mean I can't enjoy'em,lol.

J-R!

#12 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

I took more offence to you even comparing it to Star Trek Beyond which may not be every Trekkie's cup of tea but will be a darn sight better than ID:Resurgence.

I didn't even mention Star Trek, and Morgan only said he was looking forward to it more than Star Trek. I'm looking forward to this an infinite amount of times more than the popular modern action series which now calls itself Star Trek! :P

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone else here has seen these, but on 20th Century Fox's youtube channel, they've uploaded a ton of little clips. They included interviews with the characters (not actors, characters!), some mock historical documentaries, and things such as this:

This has nothing to do with the film, but it's Jeff Goldblum enjoying a little bit of jazz scat:

#13 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Looking forward to this one but Tarzan the next week has me giddy. Johnny Weissmuller used to be on my TV every Saturday afternoon years ago

#14 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Just saw this last night.  I really wanted to like it but it fell real short.  Without spoiling anything I'll say some of the big problems were too many characters, weird pacing, and I missed David Arnold's score from the first one.  The theme is peppered in here and there but the tone is very different throughout.

Anyone else see it yet?

#15 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

Ah damn. I'm hoping to see it on monday at the IMAX. I wonder why they didn't bring Arnold back? The score was every bit as responsible for the enjoyable cheese as the dialogue itself. :/ 

I've seen a few people saying something similar to what you've said, and I can't understand how they missed the mark, because the book story is so perfectly 'in' that universe...

#16 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

Saw it, it confirmed my fears about pacing for the... millennial attention span (I'm gonna say that instead of something else). Everything moves too fast for the viewers to care. It was as if every second that didn't have dialogue was erased and the whole thing just played at fast forward on an old VCR.

That's the biggest issue with action films these days; the dialogue and scenes move too fast for audience to react and care. And it's really easy to compare with the first film 20 years ago, as it moved at Peter Jackson Speed by comparison. I'm sure they had enough footage to slow it down -- they always do -- but it's an editing problem more than anything.

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

I saw it today...and i agree with so e of the parts...it felt rushed. I enjoyed it. It is worth seeing but it wasnt as grand I was hoping it would be.

#18 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

I didn't go in with grand hopes so I actually was pleasantly surprised. Loved Brent Spiner!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users