Photo

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! About SW TFA! SPOILER ALERT!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Since we are rating the movies, here are my thoughts.
I don't actually hate any of them by the way, but definitely have my favorites.

From favorite to least favorite.

Empire Strikes Back: This is my favorite for multiple reasons. I think pretty much everyone knows why it's the best. Lol.

The Force Awakens: I thought it was a fun ride that reintroduced is to an old friend while helping us make new ones at the same time. I can't find anything wrong with it at all. While some thought it hat the star killer weapon was not needed I actually thought it was a very plausible step for a group of intergalactic bad guys to keep trying yo build a bigger baddie version of the last weapon that they used. The new characters were almost instantly likable and relatable.

A New Hope: Come on, it's the one that started it all. It's a bit slow in parts of it, but still great.

Return of the Jedi: I thought this one was a great third act to a broader story even if it seemed a little more light hearted than the other two. Jabba and his lair of villainy was one of my favorite parts.

Revenge of the Sith: This was a good movie that showed us what we all wanted to see, the fall of Anakin Skywalker and his Transformation to Vader. My only real complaints were the lack of chemistry between Portman and Christianson and Christianson's emotionless acting. I thought MacGregor did a great job in all of the prequel movies.

Attack of the clones: I actually enjoyed quite a bit of this one too. The clone army. Jango Fett, lots of Jedi fighting. Those were the highlights. The over use of CG and green screen were the biggest downfalls.

The Phantom Menace. If they would have taken out (or toned down) Jar-Jar, used some practical effects and models instead of so much CG and green screen and gotten rid of the political crap this would have been a much better movie. The highlights for me were Darth Maul and Liam Neeson as Qui Gon Jin.

I enjoyed the prequels for what they were but they could have been much better. They could have cut at least half of the political story out of all three and it would have made for a better bunch of movies. I also think they could have gotten just about any other actor to play Anakin and it would have been a better choice than Christianson.

#42 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

I'm thinking of the 2003-2005 series. Never saw the newer series... I think I saw an episode where they had to rescue baby hut or something... didn't interest me.

The 2003 series pretty much gave you all the backstory on the clone wars necessary to lead into ROTS. It established characters like Duku and darth sidous as the chancellor... what a badass Yoda was, the  and even Anikins slow decent to the darkside.

TPM offered little more than to introduce young Anikin and Padame... and AOTC built the relationship between them. Otherwise most of the rest of the positioning done by Palpatine doesn't really matter, oh sure there are a few bits that add some clarity to the clone wars, but you can pretty much start watching them, go to ROTS and straight on through to TFA without missing much by skipping the 1st two IMO.

#43 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

The last Clone Wars series had a lot of very generic episodes geared mainly at kids but there were some really great plot lines.  The episodes dealing with Sith/Jedi mythology were really interesting and the Yoda stuff in the final season was great.

#44 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

The newer Clone Wars series definitely starts out more kid friendly, but as it goes on it gets a lot better. It has quite a few interesting story arcs that really add a lot of depth to the prequels. It's also canon, which the original Clone Wars isn't.

It also introduces one my favorite characters, Ahsoka Tano.

If anyone does watch it, make sure you watch it in chronological order, not release order.

#45 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:03 AM

The 2005 isn't considered canon? If not that interesting as it basically leads right up to ROTS. I thought that was the whole point of it... especially since it was written by Lucas and done with Lucasfilms?!

But I guess your right... a quick look on google finds this...

https://en.wikipedia...Star_Wars_canon

Pretty interesting it looks like it was "de-canonized" after disney purchased lucas films. In fact it looks like they de-canonized a bunch of stuff... that must have had the hard core fans riled up!

#46 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

The 2005 isn't considered canon? If not that interesting as it basically leads right up to ROTS. I thought that was the whole point of it... especially since it was written by Lucas and done with Lucasfilms?!

But I guess your right... a quick look on google finds this...

https://en.wikipedia...Star_Wars_canon

Pretty interesting it looks like it was "de-canonized" after disney purchased lucas films. In fact it looks like they de-canonized a bunch of stuff... that must have had the hard core fans riled up!

People were/are certainly upset that their books were no longer canon. But I've never really understood why, since they were never really canon.

Before Disney bought the rights, Star Wars canon was far to complicated. There were seriously 6 levels of canon, and higher levels of canon could overwrite lower ones. 

Example: In the Expanded Universe the homeworld of the sith was Korriban. In The Clone Wars TV show it was changed to Moraband because Lucas thought Moraband sounded better. 

G-Canon - George Lucas Canon, anything made by him or any statements made by him. This was the level of canon, and could overwrite anything else. Even deleted scenes were canon unless they contradicted the movies. 

T-Canon - TV Shows

C-Canon - Books, video games, comics, etc.... The Expanded Universe basically. 

S-Canon - Older stuff that is ignored for continuity's sake. 

N-Canon - Non canon, like stuff that was contradicted by higher levels of canon. 

D-Canon - No idea, but it's stuff that was part of Star Wars Detours

Anyone who actually thought Disney, or even Lucas if he kept the rights, would make new Star Wars movies that followed the expanded universe were kidding themselves, there was just no way that would happen

What Disney did was wipe out the expanded universe, and make all forms of media going forward full canon. That way there was just one cohesive universe. The only thing that existed at the time that survived was the newer Clone Wars series. 

#47 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

The newer Clone Wars series definitely starts out more kid friendly, but as it goes on it gets a lot better. It has quite a few interesting story arcs that really add a lot of depth to the prequels. It's also canon, which the original Clone Wars isn't.
It also introduces one my favorite characters, Ahsoka Tano.
If anyone does watch it, make sure you watch it in chronological order, not release order.

I agree. It started out for a younger audience but really got good the longer it went on and had some really great arcs in it. It actually got into some dark territory too. I love Ahsoka too and am really glad she has been added to rebels to kind of continue her story a bit.

#48 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

I agree. It started out for a younger audience but really got good the longer it went on and had some really great arcs in it. It actually got into some dark territory too. I love Ahsoka too and am really glad she has been added to rebels to kind of continue her story a bit.

My only gripe with Ahsoka in Rebels is how little she is actually in it. 

I don't know you've you've seen season 2 yet, but this scene with her was just amazing. Probably the first time an animated show got an emotional response from me. 

Spoiler

#49 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

My only gripe with Ahsoka in Rebels is how little she is actually in it. 

I don't know you've you've seen season 2 yet, but this scene with her was just amazing. Probably the first time an animated show got an emotional response from me. 

Spoiler

Yes. I just watched that episode last week. I loved that scene. The other great scene was in season 2 ep 1 when she realized who Vader was. That one got me.

#50 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

Yes. I just watched that episode last week. I loved that scene. The other great scene was in season 2 ep 1 when she realized who Vader was. That one got me.

We don't know for sure that she actually knows who Vader is, I think it was the same episode as the video I posted where she said she couldn't find any information on the Sith Lord. 

I assume she knows, but just doesn't want to admit it. 

#51 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

This is the part I was talking about.

I'm on my iPad so I couldn't add tags or embed the video. Sorry.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Xe1kupqxnJs

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

So... as mentioned, I thought the 2003-2005 animated clone wars did a nice job of giving good backstory and building into ROTS... no that I find out it was "De-cannonized" in lieu of the 2008 series... I guess I'm curious to know does the 2008 series do as good (if not better) job of filling in the 3 year backstory from the start of the clone wars to ROTS?

Do they fill out anikin and obi-wan's adventures? How about Duku? other jedi? other sith? Palpitine?

#53 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

It actually does a very good job of filling in a lot of the backstory. It's not all great but there are some very good arcs. They do cover stuff about Duku, a lot of other Jedi, palpatine, Obi wan, and even touch on Tarkin, mandolorians, and other stuff.

#54 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

The only thing that I feel was missing from the newer series that was in the old one was Anakin being knighted.

But as JMW said, it adds a lot of backstory on a lot of the Jedi and other characters. It also makes you actually believe that Anakin and Obi-Wan were good friends.

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Thats what I liked about the 2003 series... that and you saw the progression of Anikin falling to the dark side.

Sounds like I need a "Best of" to cut to the good episodes!

#56 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

Thats what I liked about the 2003 series... that and you saw the progression of Anikin falling to the dark side.

Sounds like I need a "Best of" to cut to the good episodes!

The new series definitely shows him dealing with the dark side. Anakin force chokes someone in an episode.

#57 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

I actually prefer Anakin from this series better than the actual movies.

#58 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:08 AM

I guess thats kinda what I was getting at. Love 'em, hate 'em... it really doesn't matter with respect to TPM and ATOC.

TPM essentially just introduces us to Luke & Leia's mother. We already know most of the other players, and while the rest of the backstory may be fun and nice, ultimately it does very little to advance us to the end game. Heck apparently even darth maul isn't really killed in TPM  as seen from some of the links sent. 

Likewise with AOTC, its supposed to solidify the romantic relationship between Anikin and Padame, but its very clumsy in this regard and its only addition is to set the pretext for the war and start the clone wars. 

I think the actual Clone Wars is where it starts getting interesting, and it closes loop with comments made by Obi-Wan in ANH. They probably could have done two movies on just the clone wars leading into ROTS. As the animated series seems to show, character and backstory can be filled in just fine.

Ah well, it is what it is now!

#59 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

So who is Reys parents?

#60 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

So who is Reys parents?

Hopefully no one we know, the galaxy can't be that small.

But odds are its Luke and someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users