Photo

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! About SW TFA! SPOILER ALERT!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

lol! love the rationalzation, but Its fantasy, thus its not rational. If it were rational, one might argue you wouldn't ever have light act the way Kylo Ren's saber did.

But I'm not trying to rationalize it or explain it. Actually calling the saber guard exhaust ports just makes it sillier to me :-)

The effect stood out and my  comment is I like the clean saber effect used in all the previous episodes better.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:17 PM

lol! love the rationalzation, but Its fantasy, thus its not rational. If it were rational, one might argue you wouldn't ever have light act the way Kylo Ren's saber did.

But I'm not trying to rationalize it or explain it. Actually calling the saber guard exhaust ports just makes it sillier to me :-)

The effect stood out and my  comment is I like the clean saber effect used in all the previous episodes better.

I was incorrect, it has cross guards because it's kaiber crystal is cracked. But it was crudely put together, which is why it's unstable.

Shame it was destroyed, I liked it.

#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

ha! Colbert says its one beam. Done on purpose.

http://www.cnet.com/...ate-disturbing/

#24 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

Some clarity on the voices that appeared in Rey's vision:
http://io9.gizmodo.c...kens-1748962435

Ewan McGregor came in to record that line.

#25 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

This was posted on Reddit. Gives some info on the First Order, New Republic, and the Resistance.

http://m.imgur.com/HcOvLPd

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the link. If they didn't put it in the movie, and it really needed to be there to understand it... then its a failure in good filmmaking IMO. If it's just more backstory for uber geeks, have at it I say!

Apparently I'm not the only person that after seeing the movie thought they didn't explain the politics very clearly... but I don't think it really matter in the overall plot does it?

#27 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

Here's a pretty good review,with spoilers.......oh,never mind,the link won't show up here.

So,EVERYONE is returning for the next movie. Guess the Han scenes must be in flashback or something,unless they come up with a REALLY good explanation on how he survived,lol! And TWO actors played Chewie this time around,which is understandable as Mr.Mayhew isn't all that agile these days.

Guess I'll see this movie either this week or next. THEN I can see how much of a remake,reboot.....whatever...a lot of people are saying it is,lol! I honestly don't care if it is,it's Star Wars,I'm just in it for the fun of it,lol!

J-R!

#28 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Best attitude JR. Thats how I went in to it. If you saw last weeks episode of "Big Bang Theory" Will Wheton summed it up for me with "You know... I enjoyed that more than I thought I would" comment!

#29 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

Apparently I'm not the only person that after seeing the movie thought they didn't explain the politics very clearly... but I don't think it really matter in the overall plot does it?

So far the destruction of the New Republic hasn't really been of much importance to the movie. It should have been, but it wasn't 

Say what you will about the prequels, but at least we understood (for the most part) how the Republic worked. 

It was definitely a fun movie, and certainly one of the best Star Wars movies that has been made. As of now, I'd say it's my second favorite after Empire. 

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS#P4K2dVD

#30 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Ok,here's that review I was on about earlier today. VERY spoilery,a bit negative,but not too bad.

http://www.jeditempl...owcontent&id=41

And yes,I always try and go in to a movie or tv series with an open mind. I'll give anything and anyone one chance,lol! It's paid off a LOT of times,and the few times it hasn't.....well,life goes on and I'll come across something else that'll grab my attention,lol. For a few minutes,LOL!

J-R!

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Thats a good review. I have to say its pretty spot on.

#32 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

That was an amazing review, probably the best that I've read. 

#33 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

I didn't care for that review to be honest. It was written well but I think it was to harsh and nit picky. I miss the days when people used to be able to just go and watch a movie without feeling the need to pick it apart scene by scene. I guess as I get older I have less patience for know it all and negativity. (I'm not talking about you guys). That's why I avoid any and all "reviewers" like the plague. If I see a trailer and think it looks good I go and watch the movie from start to finish with an open mind. I have never gone to a movie to watch and critique it scene by scene . I guess that's why I enjoy so many movies people don't like. I loved The Force Awakens. I didn't have one complaint about it. I think that was for two reasons. One it really is a great movie and two I just wanted to go and enjoy a movie without trying to look for something to not like about it like do many people tend to do these days.

#34 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:54 AM

I don't mind reading a review or three,doesn't mean I actually agree with them. I'm quite capable of making up my own mind about a movie or tv show,a review is still just someone else's opinion that you might agree with or not. I'm not the very nitpicky kind either,and end up liking movies or tv shows that totally fail,lol! Like I've said before,I will watch anything.....ONCE. I even watched those little trolls walking around New Zealand for three movies and was bored to tears. *I* could've made a nice tourist infomercial for NZ as well,LOL! So,just goes to show that people love different things. Plain and simple.

It wasn't a bad review and not as nitpicky as some I have seen. Will I sit and look for faults while watching a movie? Hell no. I never do. I might be bored watching a movie,but that's on me. And no matter how bored I might get watching a movie,I NEVER leave the theater till the movie is over. I've paid for this and I WILL watch it through. If I fall asleep,then that's on me too,lol! Yes,it has happened a few times. Not gonna say which movies though,lol! And no,it wasn't ST ID,which I've watched numerous times as I still love it.

Because I don't care what other people think about movies I happened to like,I have a lot of movies people might never have heard of on my fave list,lol! Or they might've heard the title and just dismissed it right away. I stopped doing that when I was kinda forced to watch some movies I had never heard of and ended up loving. And yes,they ended up in my dvd collection as well,lol.

J-R!

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:29 AM

Critics have always been a part of the movie going experience... I don't think that means people really listen to them, otherwise Michale Bay wouldn't still be allowed to make movies :P

But they can add to the conversation and I think that has value in the overall experience because ultimately a movie is supposed to tell a story and stories are supposed to be talked about.

There is something about JJ's films that just don't "fill" me up. Many a film I've come out of and just thought "wow", what a film... what a story... and I felt like it all worked so well. But I came out of this film thinking "Just another Star Wars" film... And this seems typical of JJ movies for me... I went home a started watching the previous films to see if I liked them better... and this one comes in 4th for me.

I now rank them this way...

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A new Hope

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. The Clone Wars

7. Phantom Menace

I could see myself softening up and switching 3 and 4 around. But it just doesn't reach the level of TESB or ANH to me.

And here is a bit of my disappointment, this was a fine effort, but no where as good as Empire Strikes Back IMO as suggested by the reviews... So it begs the question... have reviewers  become more lax and lazy in their assessment? Have the quality of movies dropped such that reviewers have been forced to lower their bar?

I dunno... I do know that I found myself thinking (more than once) "get on with it", which is a sign with me that the story has languished or has out right pulled me out of the experience.

I'll def rent and watch it when it comes out on Red Box, but I don't know if I'll see it again in the theater.

#36 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

If you're a casual Star Wars fan who just enjoys watching the movies without delving deeper into the backstory and lore of the universe, than this movie is great, and a very fun ride. It certainly outshines the prequels for a lot of people. 

If you are someone who heavily reads into the entire story of Star Wars, than this movie disappoints in some regards. The main one is that they pretty much retold A New Hopes story for a new audience. While for some franchises that can be a good thing, for Star Wars it wasn't necessary. A New Hope stands up pretty well, and can still easily be enjoyed by a modern audience. This is supposed to be a continuation of the Star Wars saga, and not a reboot.  

This movie could have had a very similar plot to it without the inclusion of Starkiller Base, they didn't need a superweapon for the story to work. The idea of a movie centering around finding Luke Skywalker is interesting enough without including a planet destroying weapon, especially when it has been done twice before. 

Starkiller Base could have easily been just a key military base for the First Order. Rey could have still been captured and taken there, and the Resistance could have still launched an attack on the base to destroy it. Finn could have still gone there with Han to "lower the shields" and rescue Rey, and everything could have happened how it did. 

The destruction of the Republic is another thing, why did it have to be done? The First Order really didn't accomplish much by doing it, especially now that Starkiller Base is destroyed. The planets that were part of the Republic aren't just going to join the First Order now, they'll probably just re-elect a new Chancellor and Senators, and support the Resistance a lot more. Don't try and tell me the Republic consisted of the 5 or so planets that were destroyed, because that would just be stupid.

I also doubt that the ENTIRE Republic fleet was just hanging out in orbit of it's capital instead of out protecting other systems that are part of it. I could believe that a good chunk of it has been taken out, but not all of it. 

Say what you will about the prequels, but at least George Lucas tried to tell a new, different story than what was told in the originals. 

A small part of me is concerned that with how much people are demanding the new movies be like the originals, and nothing like the prequels, that we're going to get 3 movies that basically retell the original trilogy's story. That would be a massive mistake in my opinion, we don't need a retelling of the originals, we need new, interesting stories in the Star Wars universe. 

That said, I still consider 7 to be one of the best movies, even if it is just a rehash of A New Hope. 

My current ranking is:

->Empire Strikes Back

->The Force Awakens

->Revenge of the Sith

->Return of the Jedi

->A Phantom Menace

->A New Hope 

->Attack of the Clones

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Interesting order Alteran 195. ANH 2nd to last?? And below APM?!

I can actually see AOTC as last, but are they just all that close for so your down to favorites?

#38 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Interesting order Alteran 195. ANH 2nd to last?? And below APM?!

I can actually see AOTC as last, but are they just all that close for so your down to favorites?

Empire Strikes Back - I don't really feel I need to explain why this is my favorite. 

The Force Awakens - While a remake of ANH, pretty much everything about this movie is enjoyable to me. I'm looking forward to seeing it a third time in theaters. It is a really well made and fun movie. The acting, characters, cinematography, and effects are all phenomenal. 

Revenge of the Sith - Seeing Anakin finally fall to the Dark Side is what the prequels were all about. The opening battle, and final duel between Anakin/Obi-Wan and Yoda/Sidious really made this movie good. The only reason it isn't still second is the wooden acting, and bad dialog. I will add that watching The Clone Wars series before this really adds to the movie, and specifically to the Order 66 scene since you actually get to know the other Jedi better. 

Return of the Jedi - I hate the Jabba stuff at the beginning, but once it gets into the meat of the movie, it gets a lot better for me. The scale of the fleet battle above Endor at the end is still one of the coolest in any sci-fi movie I've seen, only topped by the one shown in Revenge of the Sith's opening. 

The Phantom Menace - I can actually enjoy watching TPM, and don't understand the hate for it. Jar Jar is annoying, but I don't even mind him all that much. Out of all the prequels, I feel it's actually aged rather well compared to the rest of them since they used a lot more practical effects vs CGI. Back when it first released, I'd guess on VHS, I was home sick from school for two or three days and watched TPM over and over and over again, it was all I did for those couple days. 

A New Hope - I don't know if it's the fact that I've seen A New Hope a million times, but I just don't enjoy that movie. I know it's a classic, and obviously a well made movie, but it's not one I would watch if given a choice. 

Attack of the Clones - AOTC is just garbage, I can't stand watching it anymore. When I was showing the movies to my girlfriend for the first time, we were probably half way to three quarters of the way through the movie and she commented that nothing had really happened yet. Even the battle at the end was boring. This GIF sums up AOTC:

YNwCyfy.gif

#39 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

I actually thought ROTS was well done too. I re-watched it the other night, and for me is the only prequel needed. Actually... if you watch the animated shorts of the clone-wars and ROTS you get to know everything needed about the jedi, the sith, Anikin etc. I just have no use for TPM or AOTC.

I just thought it was interesting that you rated ANH so low. Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

I just thought it was interesting that you rated ANH so low. Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.

It's probably my most blasphemous Star Wars opinion. 

I actually thought ROTS was well done too. I re-watched it the other night, and for me is the only prequel needed. Actually... if you watch the animated shorts of the clone-wars and ROTS you get to know everything needed about the jedi, the sith, Anikin etc. 

Are you referring to the old animated one, or the newer series? Because I'm talking about the newer Clone Wars series. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users