• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

As I was reading some sites, I happened upon something interesting...

If thee is any doubt as to who the antagonist of Into Darkness is (and I don't think there is) I see more sites are outright listing it. 

I'll put it in a spoiler just in case someone is trying to wait for a surprise.

But I saw this...

Spoiler

I also noticed that its already won an award!

Apparently a California Location Award in 2012!

http://www.imdb.com/...rds?ref_=tt_awd

Not sure what that means.

#2 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yeah Im not clicking spoilers.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

I want to read it so bad but I am going to hold out.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I just read this review... and I couldn't help but laugh out loud... 

Please be warned... its a spoiler, and... well a bit racy in one instance. 

#5 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

First of all, let me say I really enjoyed the movie. But it does have issues.

First of all, it's great to see the crew back together. Unfortunately, this is an all-to-brief occurrence because the plot demands for some of them to break off again. It does make me sad we can't follow this crew week to week in a show, because all around they are fantastic and really do such a great job of inhabiting their roles.

I enjoyed Cumberbatch a ton, playing
Spoiler

All that being said. I loved Uhura in this. Loved the action set pieces. Loved the main villain. Loved Scotty. Loved Sulu's moment. If anyone is sort of poorly served, it's probably Chekov. So even though there were about two moments that broke the spell, and made the whole a bit weaker than the 2009 movie... there was a lot to like here.

If anything, I really want the movies to forge their own path now. That's not to say, given the ending, that I wouldn't mind
Spoiler
\\

PS - the spoiler function on the board is very odd! I had to combine three paragraphs into one in order for the spoiler function to work properly!

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Somehow I completely missed this thread when posting about seeing the sneak peek tonight....sorry.... I personally am pleased with the film but do agree with JonWes that it is sad that we dont get to see the entire crew interact more....but. there are some great moments in this film, never the less. I can see where some purists will have some problems....but overall its a great romp.... with lots of great elements.

#7 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I saw the film when it opened in the states on Thursday, and I have to admit, it's pretty much what I was expecting. I'm not going to spoil anything here, but I definitely think it could have been better, although it did have its high points. Unfortunately, it came off as a bit rushed to me, and I honestly felt that there were too many missed opportunities in the film overall.

On the positive side, I will say that Karl Urban and Simon Pegg were superb, and that there definitely wasn't any problem with the actors; the problems, at least in my opinon, were clearly issues with writing and overall execution on the production end of the film.

One thing I will praise on the production end though is the new "warp drive" effect. I've made it abundantly clear that I hated the "warp drive" effect in Trek XI, so it's nice to see STID returning to a more traditional "rubber–band" style visual effect for warp drive. I don't really think that counts as a spoiler, but if it does, I'm sorry for not tagging it as such.

Oh and I have to admit that I'm curious to see what this film will bring in at the U.S. box office; the IMAX 3D showing I was pretty empty, (I think there were more people in the opening day showing of NEM that I was at,) but then again, it was a 1:00P.M. showing on a Thursday afternoon, so it could just have been an issue of timing. If this is a pattern though, I'd consider it a cause for concern.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

I'm betting the film will be a smash hit at the box office. Any of my complaints with JJ, aren't really issues for most movie-goers here. 

I was watching Star Trek III, The Search for Spock Last night, and I realized that the sets and production level, which was good for the times, reminded me of watching something like The Ten commandments or Cleopatra. A big production bit from the 50's or 60's just didn't stand up in the 80's. Likewise, some of the old trek films just can't compare with production and effects of modern day. 

I've heard the new movie is visually stunning and the effects are great. 

#9 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

I was watching Star Trek III, The Search for Spock Last night, and I realized that the sets and production level, which was good for the times, reminded me of watching something like The Ten commandments or Cleopatra. A big production bit from the 50's or 60's just didn't stand up in the 80's. Likewise, some of the old trek films just can't compare with production and effects of modern day.

I think I know what you mean.  But I also miss some things about old school production values.  When I watch more recent films I feel like I'm watching TV, and almost claustrophobic, because it seems 90% of shots are close-ups.  Simultaneously I feel like I have no spatial sense of what's going on because along with the tighter shots are much more frequent cuts.  And I'm only in my early 30's.  I grew up on "modern" action films, but we seem to continue approaching extremes.

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

I dont look at older films as being inferior because of lower budgets and lack of technology of the time. Part of the appeal to me was making a great movie with limited resources, but still putting out a quality picture. The lack of Special effects technology gave way to more emphasis on plot and character development in my opinion. I like todays films, and i can sit down and watch The Ten Commandments or Star Trek III and enjoy them just as much. The younger generation may not because they are growing up with lightning fast cuts, scenes that barely on the screen long enough to see them and then another cut and another scene. I think perhaps this is because todays young people have a short attention span. Thats why most young people seem to hate older movies. 

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Was testing the Spoiler tab on this one....it worked lol

#12 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Okay so now that works...I gotta say overall I Really liked the movie. But I think that I am gonna have to watch it a second and maybe a third time before giving a great opinion. I do have to say i REALLY loved the visual effects and the shots of the Enterprise in this one, a lot more of them and i am liking the JJprise a bit more after this movie because of it.

Now as for the rest of it...

Spoiler

Benedict though, Awesome job...He did make a very dynamic villian, a million times better than Nero, Nero was a snoozefest of a villian, i mean he was very one sided. 

I still have to say that the Vengance is sort of like the JJ Excelsior in a few aspects...

Spoiler

Okay and talking it over with my roomate he brought up a REALLY interesting point...

Spoiler

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

I dont look at older films as being inferior because of lower budgets and lack of technology of the time. Part of the appeal to me was making a great movie with limited resources, but still putting out a quality picture. The lack of Special effects technology gave way to more emphasis on plot and character development in my opinion. I like todays films, and i can sit down and watch The Ten Commandments or Star Trek III and enjoy them just as much. The younger generation may not because they are growing up with lightning fast cuts, scenes that barely on the screen long enough to see them and then another cut and another scene. I think perhaps this is because todays young people have a short attention span. Thats why most young people seem to hate older movies.

I certainly didn't mean to infer older movies are inferior. Quite the opposite I too appreciate the classics. I was trying to comment more on how different they look.

#14 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I just got back from seeing it and loved it. This is one heck of a great Star Trek movie. I can't wait to see it again.

#15 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

Just got back an hour or two ago and it was a great film. I loved it. 

#16 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I don't know if I've said it here yet or not.,,but I LOVED this movie.  Yeah, there's some plot holes that I bet will be filled in if they release a Directors Cut or just an uncut version.  But all in all, it was a very, very good movie.  I saw it on Wednesday in IMAX 3D and then on Friday in the regular theater.  I don't think it lost anything in non-3D, to be honest.  

I can't wait for it to come out on blu-ray so I can watch it over and over.  Of course, afer a hugely successful run in the theater!  

#17 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

My wife and I just got back from IMax.   We both loved it.  I laugh at any fan who says this movie has nothing to say about current events.  I would say more,but I have no idea how to do the spoiler thing.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

The good news is it looks like into darkness will pass the previous star trek movie gross for a domestic opening in the states. Although... it took it an extra day to do it. Into darkness has 4 days because it opened a day early, where most have three days.

Current estimates are about 84mil domestic.

#19 Starfighter

Starfighter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I really loved this movie. Very good mix of action and character development. 

The only thing that I did not like was the fact that Scotty could basically walk as free as he wanted to on the Vengance. That would not be very realistic.

BTW, I have been reading the IDW ongoing Comic and it was cool to see the interatction of Spotty and Keenser remain the same as it was in the comic. 

#20 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

My only real problem with the movie is this:

Spoiler

Anyone else catch that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users