• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#641 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:32 AM

An Interesting read about how Discovery was financed.  

Some bits of note...

Before Discovery aired, CBS president Les Moonves admitted to investors that Netflix had paid the production budget for the show. That's right, in return for the rights to host the latest Star Trek product outside the US and Canada the streaming firm had paid for all the up-front costs. CBS All Access, therefore, got a free show.

So even if a new subscriber subs up and pays for a month and then drops, CBS AA made money.

Discovery proves that there is a market for some sort of well-made and modern Star Trek franchise. As things stand now, CBS is getting the show at little cost and is building a name for it, in part, thanks to the work Netflix has put into promoting the show. 

So basically this means... that people paying for Netflix are subsidizing Star Trek... even in places like the US where you can't watch it on Netflix!

#642 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Captain Pike has been cast.

http://deadline.com/...ess-1202360639/

Guess the Kelvin actors are probably out, shame because Bruce Greenwood was awesome.

#643 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

Anson Mount! Perfect! I loved this guy on Hell on Wheels.

#644 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

He certainly looks the part!

#645 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

Oh wow, didnt realize he was the lead in Hell in Wheels. Ive watched some of it but didnt make the connection.

Intrigued to see how he handles the role.

#646 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

Finding out that Netflix paid for Discovery makes my decision to cancel Netflix a while back all the more a good decision for me. Don't want to subscribe to a service that has someone like Susan Rice on the board of directors.

#647 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

I never even heard of Hell on Wheels... but the premise looks interesting. The response seems a bit mixed though. 

#648 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Now that Pike is cast I wonder who we might see as Number One. I think Id like to see Laura Prepon in the role. Currently she is costarring in Orange is the New Black alongside Captain Janeway!

#649 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

That's interesting.

https://www.cbr.com/...gn-legal-issue/

#650 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

That's interesting.

https://www.cbr.com/...gn-legal-issue/

Indeed, interesting enough that Eaves deleted his Facebook page.

I dont necessarily mind since I think the new Enterprise is gorgeous, and much better than the original ship. Same for virtually every other design change in Discovery, with the exception of the Klingon ships. Most of them are hideous.

#651 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, it's bad enough that the fanbase is so fractured. Splitting the property hasn't helped at all. We really need this franchise glued back together.

#652 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Here comes Spock:

http://sciencefictio...trek-discovery/

#653 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

Young Spock. No guarantees of an adult Spock yet.

#654 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Maybe he deleted his Facebook page for the same reason many others in the country have been doing so as we speak.

What a bunch of ridiculous nonsense.  I don't really believe him, to be honest.  Sounds like excuses, or maybe even intra-company confusion.  If it's true, though, it's definitely discouraging.  What kind of idiots would let things get to the point where you can't even use your own property in future property?  Yes, if that's true, Star Trek is rudderless and thereby dead.

#655 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

He deletes his Facebook after bloggers start publishing articles about comments he made, and you think he did it because of all the privacy issues?

Since we dont know, and probably never will, what the details are about the deal between Viacom and CBS when it comes to Star Trek are, it very well could be true.

If it is, then the best we can all hope for is that they merge again so the property can be under one roof.

#656 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

It makes no sense that, after splitting Trek along the lines of television and feature films, the TV division couldn't use a design that originated on TV.

If the showrunners on Discovery wanted to use the Kelvin-verse Enterprise I could understand the film unit saying, "No, we spent a lot on that. It'll cost you." But to be denied the legal right to use the original NCC-1701 design on a TV series? 

And both divisions are owned by the same company!

As for Spock, hopefully this won't cause too much of an uproar. We've seen a few different young Spocks already.

#657 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

He deletes his Facebook after bloggers start publishing articles about comments he made, and you think he did it because of all the privacy issues?

Well I only proposed a "maybe".  But it seems odd he'd delete the entire profile, and not just the post that the bloggers were linking to...

#658 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

And both divisions are owned by the same company!

I may not have worked for a film company, but I have worked for companies.  And I know that as soon as somebody tells somebody else "legal reasons", people start erring on the side of caution and it can usually be easier to proceed that way than to actually go track down those who could tell you the truth about what's legal and what isn't.  So, that is why I may not exactly believe this is actually true.

#659 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

You were indeed correct and it was not true.

http://trekcore.com/...tive-not-legal/

I like the comparison pic of the calendar Enterprise and its final show design:
https://imgur.com/a/nlfOy

#660 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

I'm guessing this has something to do with merchandise.

CBS licenses the properties separately. As a Discovery licensee (McFarlane), I wouldn't be too keen on my competition (DST) being able to produce the same ship despite not having the license to do so. That "25% different" smacks of an arbitrary number that came from someone in Licensing or Legal – not Creative – to assuage such concerns.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users