Photo

DST and the original USS Enterprise filming model.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

Do we reckon that DST have gone down to see the model to take scans/photos for reference to give us the ultimate replica of her? 

Personally I think now that she's been taken out of her display case and is there for someone to walk up to and examine in such great detail, DST would be insane not to take an opportunity to work with CBS in making that happen. 

#2 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

I'd be really surprised if they did. I love my DST ships, but they don't seem the type of company to do a thing like this. Also, the HD model is pretty great. I'd personally prefer they put the effort into a new ship (meaning one they haven't made before).

#3 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, their 1701 versions have been pretty great. I second that their efforts should be devoted to a Defiant class...I mean a new ship design. 😉

#4 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

True, I mean I would LOVE the DS9 Defiant but I'd just love DST to do something awesome for the 50th.

#5 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

I don't see DST making that trip when they already did an amazing job on the E. Also they'd have to be granted access by the Smithsonian.

#6 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

I could see a company like QMx doing something like this to make an Artisan Replica of the TOS Enterprise, but not DST. Not to mention the HD Enterprise is fantastic as it is.

As for the anniversary.

We already know we're getting the TOS BoP next year (supposedly) I imagine if they announce the Federation ship soon, we'll be getting it as well. They're also doing a re-release of the HD Enterprise.

We'll also be getting a new Select figure, possibly the TNG phaser, and who knows what else DST has planned.

#7 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Gut instinct is telling me the next ship is going to be the Enterprise-JJ, and part of the reason for that is because DST have thrown cold water at every other suggestion. With the 'nu' stuff, all we've heard is that they'd love the licence. Basically, I've accepted (read: given up!) on the idea of ever getting a DST Defiant. lol

Also, this might've just been me, but with the 50th anniversary next year, I'm viewing that as a celebration of the series as a whole. The marketing departments however, are seeing this as a bumper opportunity to sell even more stuff from the original series. Even though I completely understand the reasons behind that (nothing will top TOS in terms of sales), I can't deny that it's really bleak for people like me who grew up on TNG and DS9 - and I say this fully aware that we're about to get the Cobra phaser!

Six years since DST released their last NEW TNG era ship (not including re-releases). :/

#8 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

Seems like a good read of the tea leaves there Jay K. Wow, it's really been 6 years?

#9 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

I think so - Enterprise-D, 2009? If you want something a twinge more of a bummer, the only other TNG era ship before that, was the Enterprise-E, first released in 2005. I might be off by a year or two with both, but either way, it's a long time, and doesn't give me any hope for a Defiant, Voyager or Enterprise-C. :/

Something I've been thinking of lately, and I wanted to make a topic about it - Kickstarter. There's a case I'd like to present to help me argue its good points (in terms of Star Trek, this could REALLY let DST know that we want those ships), and bad points (how many re-issued ships do we have to buy before this company puts out new ships - ships that are the main 'faces' of their respective series - and temporarily halts serving TOS fans). It could boil down to how much do we really want this company to make those products vs feeling like we're getting screwed over by a big company, but I think it'd make for some interesting discussion.
I'll post it later this week, with a couple of examples I've been following. :)

#10 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

Something I've been thinking of lately, and I wanted to make a topic about it - Kickstarter. There's a case I'd like to present to help me argue its good points (in terms of Star Trek, this could REALLY let DST know that we want those ships), and bad points (how many re-issued ships do we have to buy before this company puts out new ships - ships that are the main 'faces' of their respective series - and temporarily halts serving TOS fans). It could boil down to how much do we really want this company to make those products vs feeling like we're getting screwed over by a big company, but I think it'd make for some interesting discussion.

I'm curious what you mean by this kickstarter stuff, are you thinking of trying to use it as a poll of sorts, or actually trying to fund a ship for DST to make?

#11 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

I think so - Enterprise-D, 2009? If you want something a twinge more of a bummer, the only other TNG era ship before that, was the Enterprise-E, first released in 2005. I might be off by a year or two with both, but either way, it's a long time, and doesn't give me any hope for a Defiant, Voyager or Enterprise-C. :/

Definitely interested in hearing more.

#12 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:25 PM

Looks like QMx is doing a 1:350 Scale TOS replica:

http://www.startrek....con-set-to-stun

SDCC Booth #4149

#13 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Looks like QMx is doing a 1:350 Scale TOS replica:

QMX4.jpg

SDCC Booth #4149

Unless I'm wrong, I had no idea the TOS 1701 had an aztec pattern. I've never seen that mentioned anywhere..! :o

#14 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:46 AM

I never thought it had an aztec pattern? I wonder if QMX are showing us a glimpse of what the Enterprise will look like in Justin Lin's STAR TREK BEYOND?

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:22 AM

I never thought it had an aztec pattern? I wonder if QMX are showing us a glimpse of what the Enterprise will look like in Justin Lin's STAR TREK BEYOND?

Thats a TOS Bridge, and I think the font for the registry is different. 

#16 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

I'm suggesting have the production team changed the design of the ship

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

I'm suggesting have the production team changed the design of the ship

It would be a pretty radical change, if they did it they would have to redo the bridge set as well and I don't see them doing that.

That plus the article that showed the picture said it was the TOS Enterprise.

#18 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Do we reckon that DST have gone down to see the model to take scans/photos for reference to give us the ultimate replica of her? 

Personally I think now that she's been taken out of her display case and is there for someone to walk up to and examine in such great detail, DST would be insane not to take an opportunity to work with CBS in making that happen. 

We've resolicited our HD Enterprise, and it's a consistent seller. I don't see us going back and making a NEW TOS Enterprise to correct whatever inaccuracies may or may not be there.

#19 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Unless I'm wrong, I had no idea the TOS 1701 had an aztec pattern. I've never seen that mentioned anywhere..! :o

It did in the HD remastered version of the series.

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

3967143756_6a5b2c857f_b.jpg

It does have some, but the pattern isn't the same to me as the QMx one. To me it looks to much like the refits paint job, which doesn't seem right. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users