jim010's Content

There have been 22 items by jim010 (Search limited from 29-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#53425 Playmates Enterprise Figures

Posted by jim010 on 09 July 2010 - 11:28 PM in Playmates

QUOTE (dukeman3ca @ Jul 5 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i hope somebody takes a crack at them, it would be cool if they would make actual ones from playmates, but we all know that will never happen

I started to make a body, and posted shots in the custom forum, but have not had much time to continue. It will be done, but very slowly ...

#51162 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 27 March 2010 - 09:42 AM in Mego

I am now very upset that I got rid of mine years ago :

(
QUOTE (neoworx @ Mar 26 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They went for between $300 and $400 each. I figured they would do well due to the coolness/rarity factor, but I was surprised they went that high. One guy got all three.

#51109 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 25 March 2010 - 05:30 PM in Mego

QUOTE (neoworx @ Mar 25 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, they brought a pretty good price. I was a bit surprised. And pleased. wink.gif

Can I ask what it went for?

#51103 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 25 March 2010 - 04:13 PM in Mego

QUOTE (sallah @ Mar 24 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still remember losing those auctions... wink.gif

Sallah

Must be rare that these show up - I look whenever I'm on (I do business through ebay, so I'm on alot) but never see one. I don't know if I'd buy one, since there are better enterprises out there now, but it sure was a nice replica toy for a loong time after it came out.

#51102 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 25 March 2010 - 04:09 PM in Custom figures

QUOTE (reverie @ Mar 25 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool! It's too bad Playmates couldn't continue where they left off and do a few waves of "retro" figures. I know they weren't for everyone (and I got into it way after Playmates was done with the line), but I'd love Enterprise done in that style!

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Thanks - it might be awhile before I'm able to finish one, as I have to put it on the backburner for now.

#50949 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 19 March 2010 - 02:02 PM in Mego

I think I measured my Enterprise to be 12 -13 inches long.

I would say the Mego Enterprise was about the same size as the Enterpirse made by Bandai. 1:850 scale.

#50930 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 18 March 2010 - 09:07 PM in Mego

I found the pictures at the Megomuseum. Didn't find one of the box for the Enterprise, though.

#50929 TMP ships

Posted by jim010 on 18 March 2010 - 09:06 PM in Mego

Remember these? I used to have the Enterprise and teh Klingon ship. The Enterprise was really nicely proportioned and detailed. Stickers were wrong, but it was still cool. The saucer came off, too.

#50928 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 18 March 2010 - 08:59 PM in Custom figures

Thanks.

Here's what I have done. I used Milliput, but I would like to make the details a little cleaner. I still need to do the pants pockets and zippers. I tested paintinf on the top half, but as stated, I used enemel, and it is still tacky.

#50896 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 17 March 2010 - 06:33 PM in Custom figures

OK, I have some pics of the uniform I scuplted - almost got all the details.

Now how do I post pics? I don't see a function for that like I have in other forums

Cheers

#50840 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 13 March 2010 - 10:54 AM in Custom figures

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Mar 7 2010, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no, use acrylic, or at least a primer. I painted my TT Worf with enamel, and it never dried! I had to redo it and it is fine.
Lets see what you did...

I'll post pics on Wednesday.

Cheers

#50684 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 06 March 2010 - 11:01 AM in Custom figures

Well, I carved and sculpted the details of the Ent uniform onto the body of a Laforge figure with the collar. I tested modelmaster spray paint, but it didn't take very well. You goes use enamel or acrylic?

#50493 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 25 February 2010 - 06:41 PM in Custom figures

I picked up a Sea Quest figure. It is the Roy Schieder character, and is the right size. Uniform is comparable, and certainly has the right 'baggy' look. The turtle neck has to go, though. Pockets are in the wrong spots. To use without modifying wouldn't look right.

The head has the same hair as Archer, as is teh forehead. Repainting the eyebrows may work.

I think making a copy of the AA Archer head may still be the way to go.

I tinker with this, but I will get the stuff from Gyptex to make my own molds.

#50155 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 14 February 2010 - 12:22 AM in Custom figures

Tiberius,

Looks like there is a sci-fi convention at the BMO centre there in Calgary.. I plan on going, as Brent Spiner and Lenard Nimoy are attending. Perhaps we could arrange a meet?

Cheers

#49985 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 08 February 2010 - 10:05 PM in Custom figures

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Feb 7 2010, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Step 3 is unneccesary, you just use your hydrospan 400
Step 4 acetone is not going to work for a solid head, it is for rotocast

The best way to find your ratio, and I am pretty sure there is only one ratio, is to experiment. Try casting after a week/x days if you are using a dehydrator or oven. I think it took a week for my Klingon head.

So all I need to do is wait until it shrinks to the size I want, and then make a mold before it shrinks any further? I see that I can get the materials I need from Gyptex in Calgary.

Tiberius - being in Calgary, I may need to get some one on one tutoring! Have you bought your materials from them?

Cheers

#49956 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 07 February 2010 - 06:35 PM in Custom figures

OK, here's what I got:

1) Take an Archer Art Asylum head and boil and pop it.

2) Make a mold of the head using Smooth-On Oomoo

3) Cast the head mold using Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300.

4) Shrink the cast (or shrink original) using acetone, or hydrospan 400.

5) Make a mold of the shrunken cast (or original)

6) Cast the second smaller mold.

This sound right? And if so, what mixture of water to Hydrospan (or acetone) do I need to go from a 7 inch scale to 4.5 inch scale?

I will try it, but wouldn't mind more info before I go buying all the materials I need.

Cheers

#49953 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 07 February 2010 - 04:19 PM in Custom figures

Interesting ... just read the tutorial. And this works on Art Asylum heads?

#49946 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 07 February 2010 - 12:28 PM in Custom figures

I'll look at teh Seaquest figures.

As for the shrink method - do you have a link for a tutorial?

Cheers

#49940 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 07 February 2010 - 11:30 AM in Custom figures

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 7 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the biggest issue is finding a good base body and a head with a good likeness. Sculpting new facial features to match a figure is much harder than doing a similar likeness with a head swap. Im also drawing a blank with what base body to use that wouldnt require a complete overhaul with sculpting.

I know that doesnt help much

It's a start.

I Thought the Generations uniform is a start. I could certainly try doing a body, but doing the face? Tough.

I see that you do customs on request. Willing to try?

Cheers

#49915 Love this

Posted by jim010 on 06 February 2010 - 12:44 PM in New Cadets, report here.

What a great resource this site is!

I had just started collecting the Playmates 4.5, and noticed some missing figures needed in order to make a complete crew with First Contact, TMP and ST II.  Then I had ideas to make them myself, and maybe even try doing the crew of NX-01.

Some searching and I find this forum.  And wow ... I just had to sign up!

Glad to be a part of this now!

My interest in trek starts with the classic movie crew, followed by TNG and then the rest.  Sorry, not a fan of the reboot ...

Beyond that, I am a WWII and Napoleon buff, and I play Axis and Allies over at www.axisand allies.org

I build WWII model battleships and collect 1:18 diecasts.  Also collect anything with Doctor Doom in it.

My most expensive hobby is my 05 Mustang GT convertible, and I am a member over at the mustang source.

Glad to be a member here!

Cheers

#49914 Anyone do 4.5 Enterprise figures?

Posted by jim010 on 06 February 2010 - 12:36 PM in Custom figures

I am new here, but so very impressed with what peaple here have done.  I love the customs that fill playmates line of 4.5 figures.

I have wanted these for a long time, but have just now started to collect the playmates 4.5.  I would like the crew from each TV show/movie

Am I right in that I will need to make my own:

Geordi First Contact

Chekov TMP
Scotty TMP
Uhura red uniform
Sulu red uniform
Spock red uniform
McCoy red uniform

assorted DS9 (don't know which)

assorted Voyager (don't know which)

My big challenge is this:

Doing the crew of Star Trek: Enterprise in Playmates 4.5.  I'm willing to experiment, but need some advice on how to approach this.  Or is this something best left the big guys here to do?  If so, who can I approach?

Cheers

#49913 Enterprise E Bridge (for Playmates)

Posted by jim010 on 06 February 2010 - 12:26 PM in Everything else

I am so impressed by this. How did you do the displays? I would like to try this myself!

Cheers