TNA vs. WWE

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:08 AM

Which do people watch more which do people prefer and why? Just a conversation starter....

#2 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

I watch TNA more as it reminds me of the WCW in the early 90s with the company is trying to find its identity. The company puts on awesome ppv's, although there have been some stale matches from time to time (Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle 1), but overall I've enjoyed the ppv's more than WWE's.

I do think it sucks that TNA only has an hour a week to buildup to a PPV... although I hear that may change soon biggrin.gif

With WWE lately, there is too much to keep track of with 3 brands and most of the storylines seem to be extremely stale... I'm saying this from a perspective of not watching since last years Wrestlemania.

#3 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

I have just started watching TNA as they introduced more womens matches (atleast at PPV's).

Christy Hemme says a proper division is coming, but I am not intertested in more 'Divas' so hopefully they stick to trained & talented women:

"I've always loved pro wrestling," she said. "I can't wait to get back in there. TNA has a full woman's division planned."

Jacqueline Vs Gail in the Cage match a few weeks ago should have shut up a few of TNA's backstagers still complaining about women getting in the ring.

I enjoy the cruiserweights in the WWE....& the tag team matches. Don't watch many of the bigger guy matches.

Don't know much about TNA's roster, I know a lot are ex-WWE. I'm not used to ordering their PPV's so I forget most of the time. I will order the next one early. I watch the TNA womens matches on Youtube, but I would love to see an entire TNA event.

#4 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

I believe majority of the women in TNA are in fact trained to wrestle.

Gail Kim - as mentioned above, so that's obvious
Jacqueline - Same as above
Jackie Gayda - Some experience
Christy Hemme - Trains alot from what I've heard
So Cal Val (Ring Girl) - wrestles in some of the independent circuits
Leticia Cline - No experience
Ms. Brooks - I believe she does.

---
TNA does have a lot of ex WWE stars, the bigger ones being Cristian, The Dudleys (now Team 3D) and Kurt Angle, they also have quite a few former WCW wrestlers like Sting and Scott Steiner (I credit him as WCW since his WWE stint lasted less than a year I believe).

The X-Division guys are pretty awesome when they compete and aren't restricted by time... especially when you get 3+ in a match (Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles for instance).

TNA's ppvs are great as I mentioned previously... especially their recovery from a fire during a live ppv a few months back and they only lost one match from the card. Eric Young and Johnny Devine continued with their match until it was finished even with fire suppression material (not sure what its called?) was spraying down from the ceiling.

#5 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Electricbolt @ Apr 27 2007, 09:14 AM) View Post
Gail Kim - as mentioned above, so that's obvious
Jacqueline - Same as above
Jackie Gayda - Some experience
Christy Hemme - Trains alot from what I've heard
So Cal Val (Ring Girl) - wrestles in some of the independent circuits
Leticia Cline - No experience
Ms. Brooks - I believe she does.

Traci Brooks is quite talented. She is a wrestler. I saw some of her matches against Trinity. It is a damn shame Trinity went to WWE where she is never used, especially not in a wrestling capacity. Such a waste of talent! Makes me sad sad.gif

#6 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

TNA or WWE...

Hmm, tough to decide one over the other. Both have their good points, and both have their faults

I've been a WWE fan since 2000 and i love it as much now as i did then. For the most part, i'm happy with the way WWE is at the moment, although to be fair, as long as Shawn Michaels is still challenging for the WWE title i'm pretty much happy with anything WWE puts out lol. If i were to be critical of WWE, i would have to say i'm sick and tired of John Cena being WWE champ. While he and Michaels put on a fantastic near-hour long match at Earl's Court on monday, being champion for 21 of the last 25 months is just too much. Vince would argue that Cena moves the most merchandise, so he deserves to be the champ. But i don't see how merchandise sales would suffer with Cena chasing the title. ANd don't even get me started on that damn WWE championship itslef...ugh.

In terms of SD, i hope to god WWE have no plans in turning Ken Kennedy face anytime soon. I was there for the SD tapings on tuesday, and it seemed like he was being cheered by everyone in that arena. He had to resort to insulting english football to get any boos. WWE should understand that people like him BECAUSE of his heel antics. He starts acting like a good guy and i bet you the majority of fans will turn on him. Look what happened with Orton and Cena. Both were being cheered during their heel runs a few yrs ago, but as soon as they became babyfaces, those cheered changed to boos becuase their character was not the same one who the fans had been cheering for.

Not much to say about ECW other than the fact that i'm loving the New Breed vs Originals storyline. I have no problem with Bobby Lashley, but i just don't like him as ECW champion. I don't know why lol. Another criticism i would have about ECW is the lack of 'extreme rules'. Apparently, Vince doesn't want every ECW match to have no rules because then it would get boring fast. I disagree. I don't see why, just because each match is contested under no dq rules, wrestlers would have to resort to using weapons. They could still wrestle a solid 20 minute match without a single chairshot, but just having the propspect of No DQs would give it more of an ECW feel. plus, it would rule out the ridiculous sight of count-outs and such in an ECW match. Did anyone see ECW on tuesday? Monty Brown got disqualified for crotching Dreamer on the guardrail! When the hell has that ever happened before?!?

As for TNA, i will openly admit that the only reason i started watching TNA regularly was to get my fix of Christian. I was a huge fan of his 2005 WWE 'Captain Charisma' gimmick (don't get me started on how his feud with Cena should have been handled) and i couldn't believe it when he walked out on WWE. I'm loving him as NWA champ (for the 2nd time!) Since then, i've become a big fan of TNA, and i've really enjoyed AJ Styles' work, and i'm really getting into Robert Roode's character. As i said somewhere else, its very old-school. My main criticism of TNA though is this. They are trying to be different than WWE. Having a six-sided ring is not enough. The main difference between WWE and TNA is the X-Division. The X-Division IS NOT TNA's answer to WWE's cruiserweight division, but the way its been treated by TNA recently you could be forgiven if you thought it was. I know TNA has a fairly large roster, and only an hr timeslot, but i think more focus should be put on the X-Division

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:23 AM

TNA tries to cram too much stuff intothat hour program. The program is forgettable because not enough emphasis is given to anything. WWE knows how to properly book a program (although sometimes they just chose not to). There has been such a great buildup to the HBK/Cena match that it reminds of some of the older wwe storylines.

Im surprised at how many newbies we have watching wrestling. I checked in at about 1991. I cant beleive its been 16 yrs already. In my opinion TNA is trying too much to be like WCW. WCW did the same thing with pushing smaller wrestlers, buying bigger names, and cramming too much onto one show. If it wasnt for the nWo, WCW would have been nothing. If TNA doesnt get a big idea they wont be able to justify the huge contracts they are giving out.

Ive also lost all respect for Kurt Angle. He has gone back on his word just to bash the WWE and try to make TNA look better. I hope hes getting the help he needs. The best thing going in TNA is Kevin Nash. That guy is histerical!

#8 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(Will Riker @ Apr 27 2007, 02:35 AM) View Post
If i were to be critical of WWE, i would have to say i'm sick and tired of John Cena being WWE champ. While he and Michaels put on a fantastic near-hour long match at Earl's Court on monday, being champion for 21 of the last 25 months is just too much. Vince would argue that Cena moves the most merchandise, so he deserves to be the champ. But i don't see how merchandise sales would suffer with Cena chasing the title. ANd don't even get me started on that damn WWE championship itslef...ugh.

Yeah, it only took a few months for him to start getting booed by the fans when he originally won the title... I do recall that from when I was an active poster on a few wrestling boards.

Not much to say about ECW other than the fact that i'm loving the New Breed vs Originals storyline. I have no problem with Bobby Lashley, but i just don't like him as ECW champion. I don't know why lol. Another criticism i would have about ECW is the lack of 'extreme rules'. Apparently, Vince doesn't want every ECW match to have no rules because then it would get boring fast. I disagree. I don't see why, just because each match is contested under no dq rules, wrestlers would have to resort to using weapons. They could still wrestle a solid 20 minute match without a single chairshot, but just having the propspect of No DQs would give it more of an ECW feel. plus, it would rule out the ridiculous sight of count-outs and such in an ECW match. Did anyone see ECW on tuesday? Monty Brown got disqualified for crotching Dreamer on the guardrail! When the hell has that ever happened before?!?

The reason it'd get stale is because the current creative team has no idea how to book ECW. I watched the first ep of ECW on Sci Fi and wasn't really pleased with it, TNA may have problems fitting all they need to in 1 hour, but they sure do it better than ECW is (although I haven't watched ECW lately so that really isn't a fair assumption by me).

As for TNA, i will openly admit that the only reason i started watching TNA regularly was to get my fix of Christian. I was a huge fan of his 2005 WWE 'Captain Charisma' gimmick (don't get me started on how his feud with Cena should have been handled) and i couldn't believe it when he walked out on WWE. I'm loving him as NWA champ (for the 2nd time!) Since then, i've become a big fan of TNA, and i've really enjoyed AJ Styles' work, and i'm really getting into Robert Roode's character. As i said somewhere else, its very old-school. My main criticism of TNA though is this. They are trying to be different than WWE. Having a six-sided ring is not enough. The main difference between WWE and TNA is the X-Division. The X-Division IS NOT TNA's answer to WWE's cruiserweight division, but the way its been treated by TNA recently you could be forgiven if you thought it was. I know TNA has a fairly large roster, and only an hr timeslot, but i think more focus should be put on the X-Division

I do enjoy the X-Division as well, which at one point was the centerpiece of TNA because fans wanted that style of wrestling which WWE had lacked since WCW went under. I do feel that the division is being neglected by the current creative team of Jarrett and Mantel (from what I hear, Russo only writes the promo's for the undercard guys).

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Apr 27 2007, 08:23 AM) View Post
TNA tries to cram too much stuff intothat hour program. The program is forgettable because not enough emphasis is given to anything. WWE knows how to properly book a program (although sometimes they just chose not to).

It is rumored that TNA and Spike TV are currently in negotiations for a 2 hour timeslot weekly and the Sting/Angle match from the recent Impact wasn't put on a PPV because it was hoped the match would increase ratings at least a bit. I prefer the booking that D'Amore did back in 2005.. but TPTB felt it necessary to replace him with Mantel/Jarrett... which obviously didn't work because they brought Russo in.

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Apr 27 2007, 08:23 AM) View Post
The best thing going in TNA is Kevin Nash. That guy is histerical!

I love those segments he has with the X-Division.. they are totally awesome!

#9 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

i've also lost a ton of respect for angle, and that of most of the guys who left WWE for TNA because of all their constant WWE-bashing. I know they aren't supposed to be promoting WWE (which in a way they are, just by mentioning WWE), but for a guy like Kurt Angle...to paraphrase something Sting said to him last week on Impact: "If it wasn't for WWE, you'd be nothing but an gold medallist gym teacher". Now i still don't know the full story behind Angle's WWE departure (i was away in mauritius at the time, and didn't realise he was gone until about a week after i got back lol), but from what i understand WWE were so concerned with his health that Vince had to fire him, in the hope that that would allow him to sort himself out.

To be fair though, i'm just glad Christian has had the class not to bash WWE (yet). I think he's said before that if it wasn't for WWE he wouldn't be where he is today, and i hope he continues to bear that in mind, as i for one cannot wait for him to return 'home' so to speak (and i'm sure it will happen, sooner or later). BTW those few weeks when Edge and Christian were top of their respective companies was awesome. Who'd have thought way back when a couple of Canadians posing as fun-loving, wannabe-surfers would wind up being recognised as the two best heels in the business?

Electricbolt, I daresay ECW has improved considerably since it first 're-debut'. Its still not perfect, but that New Breed vs Originals storyline is keeping me interested enough to keep tuning in every week, so as far as i'm concerned, its doing its job (although one other thing i dislike is Extreme Expose. The three of them are nice to look at, don't get me wrongl, but i tune in to watch a wrestling programme. If i want to watch some scantily-clad women dance around for 3 or 4 minutes, there are plenty of music tv channels that can help me lol)

You're understanding on Russo is about the same as mine, EB. Alot of TNA fans are calling for Russo's head, but as far as i'm aware, he doesn't have that much booking power. And i'll agree with the two of you - Nash is freaking awesome. They should do another PCS, as those segments were gold. That time when he said he was 'blacker' than Jay Lethal had me cracking up. Speaking of Lethal, is anyone else enjoying 'Black Machismo' like i am? its amazing... he has Macho Man down to a tee - the voice, the movement, the mannerisms. And besides, its been ages since we've seen such a colourful gimmick lol

One more thing before i finish off this essay lol. A prime example of WWE not knowing how to book. What the hell were they thinking, advertising Edge vs Orton on monday knowing full-well Orton wouldn't be competing? And seeing as i was there in the audience, i was so disappointed. I'm also really annoyed with Orton. He should either grow up or just get released. Thats two years in a row i've not had the opportunity to see him live because the idiot couldn't act like a grown up for once lol. As great as that Cena-HBK hr long match was, i still reckon they could've shaved about 10 mins off it and let Edge cut a promo in the ring, making up some excuse for why he wouldn't be facing Orton. It would have been better than wwe.com's pathetic excuse - the Cena/HBK match went on for too long, there wasn't any time for the Orton/Edge match

#10 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Will Riker @ Apr 28 2007, 03:21 AM) View Post
One more thing before i finish off this essay lol. A prime example of WWE not knowing how to book. What the hell were they thinking, advertising Edge vs Orton on monday knowing full-well Orton wouldn't be competing? And seeing as i was there in the audience, i was so disappointed. I'm also really annoyed with Orton. He should either grow up or just get released. Thats two years in a row i've not had the opportunity to see him live because the idiot couldn't act like a grown up for once lol.

Randy certainly is a troubled lad. Whats was it...8 different kinds of prescription drugs he was taking for growth & whatnot??

And ofcourse, I don't like the way he treats the Divas in real life....but he seems to have stopped annoying them for the moment.

He would be wise to sort his act out...he is a big drawer card, but with this Dan Rodimer rising through the ranks, & plenty of other pretty guys, Randy may be more easily replacable than he'd thought.

#11 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

With the current landscape, orton would be scooped up pretty quickly by TNA no matter what kind of conduct he has. He knows it and Vince knows it. With RVD possibly jumping in the next few months, losing Orton to TNA might just be too much star power switching sides. I dont know how to punish him because if you take him off tv you are hurting yourself by not having a top guy there, if you let him wrestle it looks like you dont care, fines dont work, and if you fire him you give TNA another guy that you built up from nothing.

#12 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Quite a pickle they are in.

It seems the work load for wrestlers at TNA is much more manageable than that in the WWE, where it appears people are worked till their bodies give up!

I don't blame anyone for going to TNA. It would be a nice change. A big pay cut I'm sure...but it would be worth it.

Apparently Gail Kim knocked some of Jacquelines teeth out at a house show a couple of days ago...ouch!
I was lucky to have never broken anything or lost any teeth!

#13 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ May 1 2007, 06:39 PM) View Post
I don't blame anyone for going to TNA. It would be a nice change. A big pay cut I'm sure...but it would be worth it.

Undercard talent would definitely take a paycut, and TNA management has a policy of making its employees pay for their own transportation to Florida, along with paying for their own hotel room.

#14 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(Electricbolt @ May 2 2007, 04:45 AM) View Post
Undercard talent would definitely take a paycut, and TNA management has a policy of making its employees pay for their own transportation to Florida, along with paying for their own hotel room.

lol, which all the TNA talent can thank Kurt Angle for!

#15 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

I believe that started around the time Sting showed up tongue.gif

#16 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

hehe, you may very well be right, EB

i was just basing my statement on the fact that i read somewhere back when Angle joined TNA that he told management that a good way of cutting costs would be for the talent to start paying for hotel rooms, travel, etc

#17 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

LOL that pretty much would have ticked off everyone except for 4 people (Sting, Jarrett, Christian, and himself) tongue.gif

#18 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

damn, i can't believe Undertaker is seriously injured. i was looking forward to a lengthy title reign from the deadman

at least i got to see him live last week. His entrance is one of the greatest things i've ever experienced in my life

#19 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Im just very afraid of who he is going to drop it to. Batista is total garbage. He truly is the poor mans lesnar.

#20 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ May 3 2007, 08:25 PM) View Post
Im just very afraid of who he is going to drop it to. Batista is total garbage. He truly is the poor mans lesnar.

There is a rumor that he may drop it to Kennedy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users