Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#121 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:11 PM

And a phaser review:

EDIT:

And the Picard and Riker figures.

I don't love the collars and overall uniform cut on the TNG figures, otherwise decent.

#122 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:51 AM

Hello all!! So far I have purchased Spock, Data, Burnam, and Saru.... I hate to say this, but out of these four, Data is the weakest figure... He seems like he is in a different scale from the other 3. His head is very large and his hands seem small due to the odd proportions. I really like Spock and the two Discovery figues.

I haven't even seen the figures in person, but I got a sense somehow that Data was quite a bit larger than the others. Also, Khan seems a bit smallish.

#123 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:25 PM

The Enterprise isnt that impressive, especially not compared to DSTs. The underside of the secondary hull is particularly bad.

Seems far more toy like, which to be fair it is.

#124 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:01 PM

The Enterprise isnt that impressive, especially not compared to DSTs. The underside of the secondary hull is particularly bad.

Seems far more toy like, which to be fair it is.

Honestly its better than I thought it would be.  

#125 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 06:00 PM

Hey All,

Ive had the Enterprise for a couple of days now, and ultimately I like it. It has a lot of mistakes and detail errors to be sure, but if you look at it as an evolution of what was done in the original 90s line and with what they did with the 2009 movie line, it fits in well.

Does it compare with what DST did? Only in that they are models of the same ship. AA/ DST tried to give us as close to the filming miniatures as could be achieved as an adult collector toy. The new Playmates toy feels like a sturdy fun toy. So long as you go in with that in mind, I think there is a lot to enjoy here.

Ive not compared it side by side to the original classic playmates Enterprise, but this new ship feels down right huge next to the DST TOS Enterprise. This toy measures 18 inches long.

Again, like the figures, this line is hitting those nostalgia points and I am liking what they are doing. Not perfect by any stretch, but a lot of fun.

Regards,

OAD

#126 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:59 PM

Anyone see that a leaked image is out that the next ship is supposed to be the Discovery?

#127 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:13 PM

https://www.facebook...sn=mo&ref=share

#128 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:17 PM

Oh nice.  I hope that means La Sirena is next.

Ive not compared it side by side to the original classic playmates Enterprise, but this new ship feels down right huge next to the DST TOS Enterprise. This toy measures 18 inches long.

Glad to hear it passes your muster OAD.  The original Playmates TOS Enterprise was fairly sizable itself so I think 18 inches is reasonable.

#129 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:40 AM

Interesting, looks like the UK market is getting more standardised packaging - none of the retro stuff. Odd. Those ugly old packages were just as prevalent here as they were in the US back in the '90s.

306281682_10167869556555487_109568600835

That said, I do prefer this design.

306264930_10167869556710487_162335408665

You'd think they'd go with the refit Enterprise on the TWOK figures though... odd.

306521916_10167869556960487_252592573249

The ship packaging does at least reflect what's in the package.

#130 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:50 AM

Generic packaging is part of what damaged the figure lineup in the 1990s with the 1996 common design and then the warp factor lineup. And what damaged other figure lines of the time as well.

Pmates itself said on multiple occasions that 70% of buyers are adult collectors who keep the figures in the packaging. 1992 might not have been the high point, but it was distinctive.

These new international variants don't represent a call back to the 1990s at all, which is perhaps not needed at all, but the nostalgia element isn't quite there. It could be ReAction or somebody else making these.

#131 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:27 AM

MY Discovery actually spins and is FREE lol

#132 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:22 PM

Gotta say, this debut is super weird because after a month of some US regions receiving figures, other US regions have still gotten zilch, but there are people on eBay selling the figures for $20-30 a pop.

I'm not in a hurry to overpay, and I know ::sigh:: the supply chain thing is an element, but daaang.

This rollout is actually very retro in a way, because in the 1990s the same thing tended to happen, but on an even grosser scale. But there wasn't eBay. So the whole experience of seeing empty store shelves is very retro.

#133 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:18 PM

I checked the Target near work and didnt see any figures.

#134 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:45 PM

Greetings All,

I have two targets within five miles from me and one Walmart. Of the three, I saw two wrath of khan figures and two discovery figures at one of the targets about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully, they are just being slow one putting out product. Though we may be due for a significant toy aisle reset soon for the holiday season.

Then again, stores may be hesitant to order a lot of stock after the performance of the 2009 line at retail.

If and when more shows up, Ill report here. But to be honest, I have had the most success with obtaining the majority of the initial offerings via the dreaded Amazon. Phaser included.

Regards,

OAD

#135 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:10 PM

Bad news, there is a video out there saying the Discovery ship is a fake. This debut is a let down.....how doesn't Walmart have anything yet, they partnered with Paramount+....you would think they should have been the first with the rollout 🤔

#136 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:42 AM

I've been thru a handful of Targets and Walmarts in two states: Connecticut and Rhode Island. Nothing in either of them. But the stuff that's there is super old and is kind of a wreck, the toy aisles don't look like they get restocked much at all. (And everything is expensive).

#137 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:40 PM

No sightings in Pennsylvania. I'm looking forward to adding Zero to my Sandcrawler droids.

#138 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:32 PM

Bad news, there is a video out there saying the Discovery ship is a fake. This debut is a let down.....how doesn't Walmart have anything yet, they partnered with Paramount+....you would think they should have been the first with the rollout

Do you have a link?

#139 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:05 PM

https://youtu.be/HYPz8cLxePk

#140 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:04 PM

Got an Admiral Kirk off of Mercari, hot damn.....I'm enjoying what they did (no, it is not AA or DST) and I can't wait to get the rest of the 1st series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users