BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:49 AM

Beautiful...I am stoked!!

#42 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Great pics!!! Those look amazing.

#43 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Im sold on these from those pics.  Thanks Jon

#44 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Saw the 6 inch figs at Kmart in NY the day before I left. Didn't get any of'em. Why? Let's just say SDCC had something to do with that,lol! Should've picked up R2 at least though,since my fave characers are him and Boba.

There's a TRU Megastore in London? Not the one on Old Kent Road,never considered that a megastore,lol! Not the Brent Cross one either. But I guess they could try and slap on Megastore on that one,lol!

Hmmm,time to find something new to collect I guess.

J-R!

#45 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Robster I'm confused as to why SDCC would have something to do with it??

I dunno if the one I went to is an actual megastore it's just the biggest Toys R Us I've been to and from talking to the guy behind the checkout it's apparently their flagship store. I'm not up on my Toys R Us knowledge though but it was the one in Brent Cross.

#46 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

I picked up Luke and Maul this morning. I am super impressed with these figures. If Star Trek could get this treatment I would be ecstatic.

#47 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ugh...I might have to buy these. Currently out of money...but if I can still find them when I get some cash in hand...it'll be very bad for me. Those are great.

#48 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I picked up Luke and Maul this morning. I am super impressed with these figures. If Star Trek could get this treatment I would be ecstatic.

Sigh. It would be amazing for Star Trek to get this treatment, even though design-wise Trek is perhaps not quite as intricate and "toyetic."

#49 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

Oops,should've been more clear. As in,the BoP turning me off Trek collecting for a while,so did Hasbro with their Boba Fett exclusive.....which I was offered by a guy at the Hallmark booth for double the price,he'd gotten six of'em. Guess Hascrap don't know actually enforce their own rules,lol!

Yeah,unfortunately it only takes a little thing like that to turn me off something and get into something else instead. Just how my head works,not much I can do about it. Unless there's a way to turn off the remote control that's in there,LOL! All this channel surfing is tiring sometimes,lol.

Been to the TRU at Brent Cross a few times,it's pretty good.

And at some point I will get my fave characters in this six inch line,just to stay on topic,lol! R2 and Boba top of my list,and two or three others. Real happy I'm not a completist.

J-R!

#50 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well, I had one of those "crap, I have been buying too much" moments and canceled a slew of pre-orders and some just-ins.  SW Black did not make the cut.  (Neither did Eagle Moss... :()

#51 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Sigh. It would be amazing for Star Trek to get this treatment, even though design-wise Trek is perhaps not quite as intricate and "toyetic."

There's the reason why Star Trek hasn't got a Black Series... I guess Star Trek, like James Bond, is one multi-billion dollar franchise that doesn't translate well into toy-sales. The ships by far are the most eye catching and popular aspects when it comes to models and toys, I think Hasbro really do need to pick things up a bit if they intend to keep the license beyond 2013.

If they drop it I think after a 4 year absence and hopefully learning from their mistakes and also by listening to the fans, Playmates could come back and do the type of line that fans, old and new would die for - giant electronic USS Enterprise with bridge play-set anyone? Classic retro 90's range perhaps?, re issuing the toys that took fans by storm in the 90's...

#52 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

I get the feeling that Hasbro was as much in the dark about the Disney buyout of the Star Wars franchise as the fanbase, and when that happened and reinvigorated Star Wars interest Star Trek got put on the back burner. Paramount should have locked JJ into a three movie deal and given him a strict schedule to adhere to. Instead Mr Freelance was able to defect to that "other" franchise.

Now onto the thought of Playmates getting the license again. That would probably be the best scenario. I seriously doubt Hasbro will give Star Trek the attention it needs now that Star Wars is being pimped in a big way by The Mouse!

Playmates will have to probably stick with one scale, 4.5". They might even be able to get a contract for that scale now. I'm sure Hasbro has in their contractual agreement for 3 3/4" and 6" so there won't be any conflicts of interest. If Square Enix can do 10" figures, there are loopholes.

Playmates will have to get busy now if they are going to have anything in time for the 50th Anniversary. If they could do for Star Trek, what they are doing for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Simpsons: World of Springfield I say bring it! Just stay away from 3 3/4" and 6" altogether!

#53 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Playmates needs to stay as far away from Star Trek as possible.

I still have hopes that Hasbro will test the waters with some sort of Star Trek Action figure line eventually. If they do it right like they are doing Star Wars I am happy to wait.

#54 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I get the feeling that Hasbro was as much in the dark about the Disney buyout of the Star Wars franchise as the fanbase, and when that happened and reinvigorated Star Wars interest Star Trek got put on the back burner. Paramount should have locked JJ into a three movie deal and given him a strict schedule to adhere to. Instead Mr Freelance was able to defect to that "other" franchise.

Now onto the thought of Playmates getting the license again. That would probably be the best scenario. I seriously doubt Hasbro will give Star Trek the attention it needs now that Star Wars is being pimped in a big way by The Mouse!

Playmates will have to probably stick with one scale, 4.5". They might even be able to get a contract for that scale now. I'm sure Hasbro has in their contractual agreement for 3 3/4" and 6" so there won't be any conflicts of interest. If Square Enix can do 10" figures, there are loopholes.

Playmates will have to get busy now if they are going to have anything in time for the 50th Anniversary. If they could do for Star Trek, what they are doing for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Simpsons: World of Springfield I say bring it! Just stay away from 3 3/4" and 6" altogether! 

I think the thought of Playmates returning fills me with excitement but also fear. Excitement because they would hopefully kick off a new Star Trek range by continuing off from their 90's line with a range of JJ Abrams movie toys - Big USS Enterprise toy, alien toys, 4 inch action figures and play sets that yes totally could include the features that World of Springfield sets had. I wouldn't want them to go and do other scales. 4 inch is fine.

They could do smaller fighter-pod styled figures sure but I think their priority should be to build and cement their 4 inch line - crossovers too with TMNT would be brilliant.

My fear is that they'll do the crap they did before in 2009.

One thing's for sure though for any toy company to be interested in Star Trek, the powers that be HAVE GOT to get going on putting into place a multi-platform brand. At the moment Star Trek is just several movies and TV series, it needs to be something bigger than that if it is to have any hope in competing with the business that Star Wars, regardless of how good Episode 7 is, will go and do now. Star Trek could quite easily be hung out to dry and once again a domain for a niche audience.

Playmates needs to stay as far away from Star Trek as possible.

Why?

#55 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Because they had it for the first movie and handled it poorly.

#56 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I hate to sound like a cheerleader for either company but I will say Hasbro hasn't always handled things so great either. I have a Indiana Jones somewhere in the recesses of my collection that has one of his eyes literally painted on his cheek! The same Hasbro that is pumping out 5 Points of Articulation figures for Iron Man 3, Wolverine, Star Wars. Black Series 6" and 3 3/4" will be the exception rather than the rule going forward. I'm really not getting the feeling that Hasbro views our cherished franchise as the same coveted thing as Star Wars. The main problem with the 2009 toys was that Paramount was wanting cheap toys to capture some of the same type of sales as Hasbro's core product. I honestly feel that if the DST/Playmates crossover line would have happened things would have been a lot different. Remember some of Playmates best action figures were those that were contracted out to Art Asylum before they became a part of DST. Just because Hasbro holds the license doesn't mean that Star Trek will get the same respect that Star Wars does.

#57 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Oh I agree. Hasbro has made some huge mistakes, but since we are talking about the Star Wars black series and how great those figures are and how cool it would be to get the same treatment for Star Trek. I don't want any more crappy playmates figures if there is even the slightest chance of Hasbro doing the same thing or Star Trek down the road.

#58 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

I agree with you. It's my greatest hope that Hasbro will do something with Star Trek other than Kreo and Battle Pods. I also have to agree with 1701, Paramount and CBS seriously need to do something more to keep this show relevant to the younger generations. An animated series would be a great start.

#59 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

To be honest, hypothetically Playmates could do the same kind of figures as the Star Wars Black Series... Gentle Giant are working with Hasbro to do the Black Series so could DST work with Playmates to do a Star Trek collectors line? Playmates are already doing a collectors line of 6 inch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

However... For ANYONE, Playmates, Hasbro, even DST, to reap the rewards of having a license to produce Star Trek toys the studio's need to get a grip and do something that pulls in the kids other than a great movie every other year (which in the case of Into Darkness, seems to have not pulled in anyone under the age of 20) There needs to be a strategic brand development plan, identical to the one JJ Abrams had for Star Trek in 2009! 

Failing that I think it would be beneficial for Paramount and CBS to cut their potential losses with Star Trek in the face of the stiff opposition Star Wars will be giving it and sell it to Lucasfilm/Disney/JJ Abrams. Star Wars in the next 10 years will be right up Star Trek's ass on film, on TV and in stores crushing it with every move it makes and unless Paramount and CBS get their heads out of the clouds thinking that Trek will be able to survive on its history and importance alone then I'm afraid Star Trek will be forever a fond memory rather than a viable FRANCHISE.

#60 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Couldn't have said that better myself. Disney will have a movie out almost every year for Star Wars. They also have a new cartoon series slated for Fall 2014 and are also in talks to get live action TV shows on the air. What does Star Trek have? A bunch of executives with no imaginations, an aging fanbase and a 50 year history to pull from! It's time to go out full Warp with Phasers blazing or relinquish the center seat!

Now back to the subject of this thread, I have been looking all over the state of Louisiana and have not found any of the 6" Star Wars Black Series. Is their a street date on these things? Where is everyone finding these? And lastly, who's butt at Hasbro do we need to kiss for Star Trek to get similar figures? Hasbro used to have Q&As on all the Star Wars forums we need to let the powers that be know that their is interest. With Playmates Toys I had two way correspondence with Paula Billingsley, several of us here did, and she was able to pass word on to the people responsible for the Star Trek action figures. They were just as disappointed in the performance of the line as we fans were and they were hoping for a better response to the further waves which never came along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users