1701D's Content

There have been 544 items by 1701D (Search limited from 30-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#89216 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 06 May 2017 - 06:18 PM in SciFi news.

I think the fact that Netflix are involved in producing Star Trek is a great thing.

Ultimately I think CBS are taking a huge gamble but one that is win win. If you're a fan you subscribe for 13 weeks and then cancel your subscription. If All Access bombs then Star Trek moves to Netflix US for season 2.

Seems like they are saying all of the right things. They need the established Star Trek fan base to love this show because the fans of Trek will be the only ones signing up to All Access to watch it.

A non fan isn't going to be remotely interested in signing up to a new streaming service for a series they have no interest in. So CBS will be relying on already fans of Star Trek to sign up whilst hoping already subscribers of All Access due to other shows they have showing will tune in.

It does seem like a massive risk with their "crown jewel" - had I been Les Moonves I'd have partnered with Netflix and got them to produce and create the show (which is what I think will happen in the long run).

As for bumping into TOS? I think we're going to get a series that flows into that aesthetic eventually. We've only ever seen 79 hours of the TOS world and a small fraction of the universe that the Enterprise was exploring, so there's a lot of opportunity there to create new aliens, different races of established aliens like the Klingons etc.. whilst remaining in that TOS aesthetic (albeit with better production values). Im thinking back to how Rogue One approached it and while that was very much in the Star Wars aesthetic, it did create new worlds, aliens and vehicles.

#89211 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 04 May 2017 - 06:10 AM in SciFi news.

According to a new article on www.trekmovie.com, head of CBS Les Moonves revealed that Discovery will be released early fall AND more noteworthy is that Netflix, who have bought the series for the rest of the world to watch, have been producing partners on Discovery!

#89199 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 30 April 2017 - 06:08 PM in SciFi news.

If they went the Animated route then I'd want a show that was based upon the current Boldly Go comic series, a series that wasn't confined to the Kelvin timeline but could hop between prime and kelvin. There's such a rich IDW Comic book universe to use for a decent animated series.

#89159 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 24 April 2017 - 09:06 AM in SciFi news.

Could Star Trek: Discovery incorporate the TOS cast through CGI?

We saw our DS9 crew interact with the TOS crew back in 1996 and now with the advancement in CGI through films like Rogue One, could Star Trek: Discovery incorporate CGI versions of Shatner's Kirk, Nimoy's Spock et al as part of the story to Discovery?

#89157 The Future of the Diamond Select Star Trek line

Posted by 1701D on 23 April 2017 - 07:23 AM in AA / DST

I'm really happy that there's going to be more articulation in the Borg figure. This news has actually made me revisit this line. I hope this continues and the figures we get from now on are more articulated. Maybe DST will revisit some of their older less articulated figures like Picard and Worf.

The news that they are also in talks with CBS about producing some product based on the Kelvin Timeline has me really excited too. Not sure what Zach meant by there being many other figures of Quinto and Pine because there's hardly any out there and even fewer that are actually good.

Would love to see them do the Kelvin, Enterprise and Franklin too. Even a Vengeance would be awesome. Spock Prime and most of the main characters in the new movies would be brilliant and perhaps this could be a wave done like their Ghostbusters line? Build a bridge?

Characters I'd love to see would be:

Kirk (09 uniform, Beyond survival jacket)
Spock (09 uniform)
Uhura (09 uniform)
McCoy (09 uniform)
Scotty & Keenser (09 uniform)
Spock Prime (Delta Vega costume)
Pike (STID uniform)
Checkov (09 uniform)
Sulu (09 orbital skydive uniform)
Nero
Khan (Q'onos costume)
Krall
Jaylah
George Kirk

#89156 The Last Jedi trailer

Posted by 1701D on 23 April 2017 - 07:00 AM in SciFi news.

Kylo Ren isn't all bad, there's good in him Leia says so it stands to reason that Rey and Ren will both develop into something other than just good vs evil

#89127 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 19 April 2017 - 05:08 PM in SciFi news.

I love the ship, I think it fits into the timeline because not all ships need to look like the Enterprise just as not all current present day naval/space ships look like the Enterprise.

Sure maybe replace the blue deflector dish with a brown satellite dish but other than that, I'm in.

CBS need to just get a fucking grip over this series and release it.

#89119 The Last Jedi trailer

Posted by 1701D on 19 April 2017 - 04:47 AM in SciFi news.

My guess based upon hearing a lot of stuff from Star Wars fans is that Luke says "the Jedi must end" before he's convinced by Rey to train her. He's a broken man who needs convincing that there is still good to be done.

I've also been hearing a lot about grey Jedi. Jedi who are neither good nor evil but remain in the middle. I think that's what we're going to be seeing develop. Rey won't be as clean cut a devout Jedi and perhaps Ren won't be as clear cut a Sith.

I think we all know that this new trilogy will follow the same rhythm as the original trilogy so I'm going to expect a lot of the same pacing and tone from Empire Strikes Back in The Last Jedi.

#89115 What Starship Legend ship would you like to see being remade?

Posted by 1701D on 18 April 2017 - 07:43 PM in AA / DST

I never thought the pearlescent plastic looked that authentic, it kind of made the ship look and feel like a toy. If they can add the pearlescent look to it without casting it in substandard plastic then cool but honestly if we're doing a Wrath of Khan refit, the paint job on that ship was not pearlescent, or if it was it wasn't apparent, even on Blu Ray, from what the special features suggest, it was muted by ILM and made to look grittier so that it was easier to film. The sculpt on that toy though is phenomenal.

Reissuing the A with the deco of the Refit as it was seen in Wrath of Khan would be my option

#89112 What Starship Legend ship would you like to see being remade?

Posted by 1701D on 18 April 2017 - 05:36 PM in AA / DST

I think the refit could be done by using the current Enterprise A which fixed a lot of the light bleed and translucent plastic issue the original refit had.

I just hope the Reliant is cast in the plastic they used for the A rather than the plastic they used for the old refit.

id rather have a non saucer separating Enterprise D that had a better sculpt than the current version.

#89108 What Starship Legend ship would you like to see being remade?

Posted by 1701D on 18 April 2017 - 03:35 PM in AA / DST

I've always thought that the one starship legends ship that could do with a complete remake was the Enterprise D. The sculpt is pretty inaccurate and I hate the printed on windows rather than the sculpted windows they've used to great success on many of their other legends.

So what ship would you like to see remade (not reissued) by DST?

#89103 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 18 April 2017 - 11:10 AM in SciFi news.

Is it possible that they are deciding if putting it on All Access is really the best place for it and working out deals with Netflix?

If it's going great and everything's fine and cbs are happy with Discovery's production, I don't get the delay. Clearly they've begun filming it and clearly there is a lot of work going on for it so the delay has to be coming from CBS rather than the production itself.

Are they waiting for Bryan Fuller to be available??

Are they working out deals with Netflix US?

Is it too big of a show that they are having Netflix co-produce?

Is it to do with the writers guild strike that could postpone Discovery if they push ahead with a definite release date? I mean if the writers strike happens then it might of been a wise move for CBS not to be concrete in a release date for it.

Or are the looking at Game of Thrones and thinking that they'd rather wait until it finishes its new season to give Discovery a bit more of a chance?

It's frustrating that it's looked like such a mess since Bryan Fuller left with delays and lack of anything to get fans excited for it.

You've got to wonder whether Star Trek can really carry on under its current ownership. Both Paramount and CBS seem incompetent at making it a success.

Discovery is Star Trek's last best hope at securing it's place as an important piece of modern pop culture. If they screw it up, Star Trek goes away for a very very long time.

#89079 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 14 April 2017 - 04:11 PM in SciFi news.

Oh I don't think story wise it's going to be like DS9 but in its structure, in that it's going to have these deep themes running through it, a broad spectrum of characters and not confined to just the one ship, then yeah I think DS9 is the closest Star Trek has got to that type of series. I think that's really what audiences expect from their TV series these days. DS9 was one of the first to do serialised television.

I mean I think what they are going to do with Star Trek: Discovery is very simply show us a Star Trek series that speaks to us as we are today rather than necessarily tie into the fictional themes and continuity in established Star Trek canon. If it's great then I won't care, it's Trek and that's cool enough but I hope though, that I get the same reaction watching Star Trek: Discovery as I have done watching Rogue One and just today the trailer for The Last Jedi in that I want to feel that connection to the original show, I want it to feel like an important part of the continuity of Star Trek and I would love to see that purely classic USS Enterprise show up too. Given the modern CGI treatment, some texture and detailing but ultimately that classic ship.

That's what Discovery has to be building towards. I want something new and something bold and something that at first doesn't seem to fit, but I think CBS, while we know they are going to be reinventing a lot of stuff which is totally cool, I think they need to understand that Star Trek is very much like Star Wars in that it has to feel connected to an important larger continuity, however much they decide to change, this has to work within that universe and not try and force its viewers to embrace something that fundamentally asks of its fans to accept that moving forward the original Star Trek doesn't matter in Discovery.

You know you go too far from the importance of the original, you fall into the same trap as the Abrams movies and you begin to find out that part of what makes Star Trek successful is the same thing that makes Star Wars so popular; the mythology; that everything is connected in some manner and that is what makes every series and every movie an important part of the overall franchise.

You take away the importance of understanding what has happened before, you begin to realise you've lost the importance in going to see your movie or your series which is key for both Discovery and the Abrams movies going forward; both have to feel connected to the Original series in the same way that all of the Star Wars productions feel a part of the original trilogy.

Other than that the differences between Star Trek and Star Wars are plain to see and there's no reason why future Star Trek series and films can't both connect to the fictional universe in aesthetic and character arcs, whilst holding the mirror up at our own society, reflecting it back at us.

With Discovery and a potential fourth Star Trek movie, these studios have the potential to embrace the original three seasons of TOS and spin stories from those episodes and those characters in the same way that Star Wars is doing with its franchise.

I personally think Beyond was a better movie than Rogue One but Rogue One felt more important because it tied directly into that original trilogy. Star Trek Beyond, whilst it was a great movie, tied into nothing and just continued on with albeit an amazing cast, not the "real" Kirk or Spock.

Star Trek needs to learn some lessons from Star Wars here in that Abrams needs to turn his ship around and with Chris Hemsworth and the USS Kelvin, restore the timeline so that moving forward, Pines Kirk and Quinto's Spock are actually just younger versions of Shatner's Kirk and Nimoy's Spock, instead of alternate versions. The aesthetic can match the aesthetic of the original series (as if you were watching TOS in super high resolution); that futuristic retro feel but ever so slightly updated with modern graphics and effects (the same black and red consoles of the original bridge, the same iconic captains chair but instead of it looking like plywood, it looks authentic and real and instead of jelly buttons, holographic buttons that raise out of the desk but in the same colours and shapes.

Paramount and CBS need to look at how well Star Wars is doing and copy it using the unique qualities that Star Trek has. There's such a rich mythology to the original series, a vast plethora of characters to build stories for, to expand upon.

Maybe it's time they actually had some confidence in Star Trek without feeling the need to reimagine it to the point where it's unrecognisable and unimportant.

Here's hoping Discovery is the best of both worlds and when we watch it we feel like we're watching an authentic, important part of Star Trek.

#89074 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 14 April 2017 - 11:20 AM in SciFi news.

Even seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise weren't nearly fresh or different enough in my opinion. They did a lot in season 4 to tie it closer to TOS and I would agree that season 4 is one of the best seasons of Star Trek but in the end they were severely limited in what they could and could not do because of how Enterprise had begun in S1/S2 and been handled by a network that just didn't care. Season 4 would of been a great season 1 of that series and from then on in that show could of developed into a serialised show that lead to the Romulan Wars and the formation of the Federation and the creation of the Enterprise etc..

Discovery is a completely different beast. If it's compared to any Star Treks before it then I'd imagine Deep Space Nine is probably the closest we've been to what Discovery will likely be; serialised, a large ensemble cast and a roaming story that isn't confined to one particular ship. That's cool.

#89069 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 13 April 2017 - 08:57 PM in SciFi news.

Well all I'm going to say is that Dorn has the right to decide what he would take for a job, fair play to him but all I'm saying is less than 1% to an actor who hasn't done much if anything to further his TV/feature film acting career, who mostly makes his money from convention appearances, and who hasn't played the role of Mr Worf for close to 15 years... if it were Shatner then less than 1% would be an insult but quite honestly, Michael Dorn isn't as big of a star as Shatner and the character doesn't command the importance of Captain Kirk. Since the budget isn't the issue here, I can only guess that him playing the role of an ancestor was not vital. I'm not sure having Dorn on the show would of done anything to beef up a show that is already going to be watched by millions of fans around the world.

Star Trek let's not forget is a very different thing to a lot of fans who came into the franchise from the 2009 movie, to those people Worf holds very little importance and this series has to cater for those fans as much, if not moreso than it does for those who were fans from way back when Star Trek was something completely different. I think regardless of Worf, we are going to get a show that is as respectful to what has come before it as much as it redefines what Star Trek is.

TV Star Trek has been gone for over 11 years now. It's not a case of continuing where they left off, it's how do you do Star Trek in an industry and a world that has changed a lot since Enterprise and even more so since the last mega popular Star Trek; TNG. adding Mr Worf's ancestor to the show would not have done anything to better the show except be a nice nod to the minority of old timers who remember him from Star Trek's long since past.

Maybe once it's established itself on the small screen again you could have old actors come back; much like Doctor Who, but to begin with I'd rather see a fresh cast, fresh ideas and a fresh take on Star Trek. Once it's established again absolutely roll out some of the fan favourites as long as it makes sense for them to be in the show. Dorn playing an ancestor to Worf is fan service, something this show doesn't need and shouldn't have to be doing when you're trying to reintroduce Star Trek to a new audience unfamiliar with Star Trek after such a long absence from TV screens.

As long as the writers get Star Trek right and adapt it to what everyone now expects from modern TV shows then having Dorn in the show isn't necessary.

#89067 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 13 April 2017 - 01:39 PM in SciFi news.

I think from the beginning this was always going to be a show that goes in a different direction from the Star Trek's we've seen before. If that is the case then having Michael Dorn in it would of felt really strange. Cool, but strange. If they made it work then cool.

I don't think that a series that's costing 6 million per episode will be shallow, I think they went to him with a realistic offer.

Let's face it; Michael Dorn might be a fan favourite but this is business at the end of the day. His last Star Trek appearance bombed and to be honest, if this were Patrick Stewart then fine, but it's not, it's Michael Dorn. I love him and I love Worf but he's not an actor that commands a lot of interest outside of the hardcore fans or Star Trek. Harsh but I just feel that this is something CBS thought could be cool but not vital and personally, I don't need him in new Star Trek. He's awesome in TNG and even better in DS9, his roles in the TNG movies resorted to comic relief almost so yeah Dorn's turn as Worf in my mind was done with DS9. A perfect way to wrap up that character.

#89056 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 13 April 2017 - 08:26 AM in SciFi news.

So it's coming out that Dorn turned down a part due to being offered less than half of what he made when he last appeared as Worf in Star Trek: Nemesis.

http://io9.gizmodo.c...-cha-1794259001

Is this really a sign that either they don't value the original characters or that the show is so shallow to turn out something solid?

#89047 "New ‘Star Trek’ Series Coming to CBS in 2017"

Posted by 1701D on 10 April 2017 - 07:03 PM in SciFi news.

It's already been reported that Michael Dorn won't be playing any character on Discovery. Talks did happen early last year but never went anywhere apparently.

Trekmovie and Trekcore are both reporting it as not gonna happen.

#89041 Star Trek 4 (14)

Posted by 1701D on 08 April 2017 - 05:22 AM in SciFi news.

These movies fail* because Star Trek is a TV Show.

the success of the classic movies was down to fans wanting to see Shatner and Nimoy on another adventure. The success of TNG's movies to a lesser extent for the very same reason.

Where Abrams has gone wrong, isn't so much down to his choice of characters or cast, it's that it's not a TV series and is set in an alternate universe where everything looks different; it asks fans to accept a radical departure from what they expect and it offers casual movie goers nothing they can't already get from the likes of Star Wars or Marvel movies.

The key to making a successful Star Trek movie lies with in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: First Contact.

Those two movies take storylines from the original TV series and expand upon them via a character driven plot. They are low budget, highly character driven and they expand upon already popular Star Trek storylines.

Unfortunately there isn't the luxury of using classic actors to play these iconic roles. However, my pitch to Paramount/Bad Robot would be to change direction;

The next Star Trek movie made for $90 million, focused on Chris Hemsworth's George Kirk, begins where the 2009 movie begins. Except for there is no Narada, there is no death of Captain Robau or George T Kirk, the Kelvin makes it back to Earth and Kirk is born in Iowa. The look of the movie is iconic TOS, slightly modernised for the big screen and this movie is the beginning of a trilogy about the rise of James T. Kirk and based upon the novel written by David A. Goodman; The Autobiography of James T. Kirk.

You either use the current cast or recast the roles to fit the ages you need these characters to be, you are faithful to the established storyline For fans, while making something new fans can invest in, you build this iconic, heroic starfleet captain from the ground up by not having him save the world, but by showing his rise to command through friendships that will last the test of time, tragic loss that will haunt him forever and the grit and determination imbedded in him. You spend 3 movies telling that story with the climax being him getting the Enterprise -THE classic Enterprise, not a reimagined ship by the same name.

Let the movies be the guilty fan pleasures by faithfully recreating the TOS aesthetic and era and by telling the stories as they have been told in novels/off camera while being accessible to someone who doesn't know Star Trek. Essentially these are stories that are about interesting characters in the end. By focusing on one character (Kirk in this instance) you can instantly tie it to both timelines without having to explain it.

*for the record I like what they've done so far but they have failed in maintaining a decent box office haul. I think change has to happen to strengthen the brand, rather than having a piece meal approach and these stand alone movies that do nothing to further enhance the fan experience and fan enthusiasm for the franchise.

Paramount have instead gone after the Star Wars and Super Hero dollar and failed to capitalise on it by producing enjoyable Star Trek movies but not unforgettable Star Trek movies. Logan, Deadpool, The Wrath of Khan, First Contact, interstellar, The Martian, Gravity, Moon, Life and other movies that are driven by characters and not the spectacle of CGI are the key to the success of the Star Trek movie franchise.

In short; Star Trek: Anthologies.