• Please log in to reply
3700 replies to this topic

#1741 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Wow, having the Steamrunner, Saber and Norway in model form is nothing short of amazing, especially for a film that came out basically 20 years ago.

Pretty exciting stuff, never dreamed this would happen. Going to preorder the Steamrunner in the next couple days.

#1742 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Got the TOS Enterprise and the Fortunate.

Very pleased with the Fortunate, say what you will about Enterprise as a show, but the ship designs are fantastic.

The TOS Enterprise is good, the deflector still seems wrong, but overall I'm happy with it. It's very nice having a full Enterprise line.

#1743 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

...especially for a film that came out basically 20 years ago.

Ah now come on dude, there's no need for that!! :D (Honestly can't believe how long ago that was.)

Random thing about the Norway (and the same will be true for the Sabre and Steamrunner), but they really seem to fill up the box in terms of size. They're going to be massive. :)

#1744 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

I mean, it's amazing to get these sorts of ships 20 years after they were seen on screen for a split-second. Would love to see slightly-less-canon ships like the Cheyenne and New Orleans class (though Cheyenne was "seen" onscreen...somewhat). Things like the Soyuz class and the Nebula with a circular Phoenix pod also wouldn't hurt.

#1745 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

Just to be clear (my fault for not highlighting), I was poking fun at the fact it's been 20 years since First Contact. When I read your post, I actually felt my eyes widen and my jaw drop! We're all getting old. :D

And yes, I'd love all those variants you mentioned. Ben has stated the Wolf 359 fleet will be happening (the well known ones at least), and he himself would love to see the Miranda and Nebula variants, but not before any non-variant federation ships. In other words, we should get them all. :)

#1746 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

Do we know if they have the rights to the Animated Series at all? There are some great ships on there that I think would translate well into models.

http://www.danhauser...eries/Tech.html

I would love to have some of the new shuttles in the collection.

#1747 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

The Antares was from the Animated series, so i'd assume so

#1748 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

The Antares was from the Animated series, so i'd assume so

technically, it was from the remastered Charlie X:

charliexhd001.jpg

#1749 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

What I really want are the ships from the Franz Joseph Tech Manual.

saladin-blueprints-schnaubelt.png?w=232&

01-04-16-s.jpg

#1750 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

I've seen Ben address both of these issues. Regarding the animated series, he's said that whilst he wouldn't rule them out completely, he thinks ships from the main series should be made first (I can't find his exact words on twitter now, but I got the impression that he meant that variants of existing ships would come before any TAS vessels - Soyuz class USS Bozeman for example, or Nebula with the oval pod; USS Phoenix). Overall, I agree with these sentiments. I'd much rather have a Bozeman or Phoenix on my shelf before any animated series ships.

As for the ships from the above (Mars' post), I don't think that's likely, and I say that based off of what's happening with the Titan and Aventine (ships that are similarly not 100% canon). He's said that if they get 5000 signatures in their petitions, then he'll make them, and whilst the Titan's is just shy of 4000 (after a solid year or more - http://www.petitionb...itions/usstitan), the Aventine is only at 679 (presently) after the same length of time (http://www.petitionb...ons/ussaventine).

Star Trek does have a ton of official ships that still need to be made, but once the remaining big-name Federation ships have been released (including class variants like the Bozeman), I can't see it running for too much longer after that. Right now there's 90 issues confirmed, and I have a feeling that Ben will see fit to round that off to 100 and call it done. Just to be clear, this isn't me saying they shouldn't be made, but that there's much more well known ships that should be made first.

EDIT: Found some words from Ben regarding The Animated Series ships (the guy he's responding to has since deleted his account, or been banned, but his posts are still visible via google cache):

https://twitter.com/...767692324614145

http://webcache.goog...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

My hopes for more ships include firstly, more shuttles and support craft. I'm so excited for the first four (Galileo, and Type's 6, 9 and 10), and I hope this means that there's a chance for the movie shuttle (Final Frontier), Type 7 soapbar, Orbital Shuttle, Type 11 from Insurrection, and one that I'd love to own, the Travel Pod from the original crew movies. Of course, the Workbee would be lovely as well.

#1751 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

Any specifics regarding the Wolf 359 ships happening -- any quotes out there regarding the prospects of that and what they could be?

#1752 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

https://twitter.com/...962756978499584

https://twitter.com/...965926278467584

The guy he's replying to here in this next one seems to have deleted his account since ( <_< ), but I managed to find a bit of what he said in google cache:
"will you be making the Soyuz class from TNG or any ships ..." - the last bit is missing, but I'm wondering if he said 'from Wolf 359?' Ben's reply:
https://twitter.com/...458144815398912

Then there's the twitter Q&A he did a while ago now, which was transcribed for the Hero Collector website:
http://www.herocolle...ek-starships-qa

Questions and answers of particular interest:

Darren: The USS Centaur would be a good addition. I think you guys can crack 150 models. Oh V'ger would be good.
Ben: I know what V'ger looks like from a distance. I'm not sure how many other people do though... I am very keen to do as many Fed starships as possible, we're getting close to a full set... There's still the debris field from Wolf 359 to explore and some interesting Nebula and Miranda class variants.

Aaron Davila: What is the possibility of making of the New Orleans class and the Cheyenne class starships? Physical models have been made.
Ben: I'd say pretty fair. I'd like to do them. And the Wambundu...

Vincent Sherry: Any chance of seeing kitbash Starfleet classes that were seen on screen such as Curry, Freedom, Yeager and New Orleans?
Ben: Every chance. I'm just looking at the list for 75 to 90 and these are very high on my agenda. The Centaur is on the way.

That last one is where I'm thinking he'll make them as part of the series of 90. Hope that helps. :)

#1753 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for the update Jay K ! This is all very exciting!!

#1754 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Just got my Enterprise C.  Its ok I guess.  Something about the deflector dish seems off.  The color of blue thats used?  Not sure.

#1755 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

Nah, it's the edges of it which are not painted (it should look embedded). I'm okay with it, but there's a myriad of problems with the C (it's a mix between the C and the future Ambassador class ships - Yamaguchi for example). Other than its thicker pylons and lack of detailing, the Hallmark sculpt is more accurate in this instance.

#1756 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

For me it was the omission of the impulse engine, the 2 smaller phasers on the rear saucer, and the strange void of detail on the last bit of the secondary hull that made the ENT-C a little disappointing.  When Ben posted newly discovered pics of the filming model after they had finished the issue it made me wonder what source material they used.  Even the MicroMachine had all the phasers.  :P

#1757 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

They also omitted many of the grid lines on the saucer of the C.... That was disappointing as well.

#1758 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Jay, thanks for reposting those comments, that was really helpful.

I didn't know there was canon agreement on what the Wambundu class looked like, that's curious that he mentioned that one.

#1759 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

No problem, dude. :)

Honestly, Ben Robinson is a walking encyclopaedia of all things to do with Star Trek - ships, shows, and (especially) the behind the scenes going's on. He easily knows as much as people like Mike Okuda for example. He recently appeared on a Trek FM podcast to talk about Maurice Hurley, and it's quite clear how knowledgeable he is. Have a listen if you've nothing to do:

http://www.trek.fm/master-feed/142

#1760 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:14 AM

Agreed, Ben is definitely a sage Trek guru, all bow down and create effigies of him! ;) Yeah, I hope he does more podcasts too, it's cool to hear about some of the background hubbub that doesn't make it into the mags. Btw, the Chaos On The Bridge doc is also a nice unauthorized antidote to stiff official interviews and dull Captains chats. Gotta give props to the Shat, he makes good Trek docs.

A while back, I asked Ben if he was kidding about the Wambundu and he said that he was... and that he had no idea what it was supposed to look like. I think he likes to mess with our minds a wee bit and he rarely rules any ship out... but he was quite clear this time.

He recently said that the Wolf 359 ships might appear after #90, if they get the go-ahead for more issues in September. But it seems that the list of upcoming ships is still in flux so conflicting info is par for the course, methinks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users