• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#121 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

Wow, lots of DST bashing going on, and it wasn't even by me!  Lulz.

Gotta agree with Prometheus.  DST's customer facing personalities have often given me the impression that they take everything personally and that they have a low tolerance for criticism.  Are we harshly critical?  Yes, we are.  We love Star Trek and we value our dollars.  We see examples of the awesome merchandise other franchises are getting, or awesome Trek merchandise from other companies, and we want the same awesomeness from DST (or we want DST to drop the figure line...I know I do).

The only way I can explain their behavior in that regard is that they hear far more complaints than compliments which would understandably put someone always on the defensive.  In most industries, more complaints than compliments means you are failing the customers and you should either get a focus group on that or start planning your exit.  I don't know why toys would be any different.  Either we are excited about their toys, or we aren't.  Personally, I'm just not and haven't been for a long time.

But, in their own minds I think they are not failing customers because apparently what they've been puttering along doing for the past few years has been profitable enough that they want to keep doing that and nothing else.  I don't know who the Trek fans are who are propelling this machine along, but they aren't me!

#122 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

I am not a Deep Space Nine fan, so the Yridians thing is also lost on me, but I apologize if I come across as untrustworthy and only giving info for money! And I've been the face/voice of the company for five years, so if anyone's defensive, it's me. Maybe Chuck gets a little in Ask DST, but I don;t think he's particularly defensive. If anything he knows what sells and what hasn't, and takes individual comments as opinions to be responded to as such.

I don't come here to dismiss opinions or be secretive, I come here to dismiss inaccuracies and provide information, because this seems to be one of the more active Trek message boards out there, at least as far as merch goes. But I do wonder how many people visit overall -- it may just be that we few people are highly active. If anyone can suggest a MORE active (or more populated) Trek board, I might check it out, but I wonder if message boards are the best place to discuss DST releases, which have fewer regular updates due to our current frequency and volume.

People should feel free to say whatever they want here. This is not my forum, and I only come here to answer questions, but when one third of the questions are rudely stated and the other third are less questions and more graphic suggestions, you guys don't really NEED me here. People can travel to the DST FB page or Twitter for answers and bring them back, I'm always there. I may come here less frequently, not to punish, but because there is nothing to say besides arguing about hypotheticals.

Or feel free to ask Chuck about line direction if you have concerns. The only thing people write in to Ask DST about are "When will you make a Voyager/K'Tinga/Prometheus/Vengeance/JJPrise"; nobody asks any questions that might merit a real answer. We recently scrapped an entire Trek Ask DST because the questions were all redundant, having been answered a million times. But maybe a monthly Ask column is not the best forum, either.

But I'm glad I finally know who David Ellis is on here!

A few thoughts:

Obviously we make things for consumers to purchase, and we want them to buy them, but we were founded by Diamond Comic Distributors, and they are our exclusive distributor. Since then, our primary customer has been comic shops and specialty stores, although we also sell to biggish  chains. Our entire existence is predicated on sales to retailers, not direct to consumer,  and if it does not have much interest from retail, then we are not going to develop as many products as we do for a license that retailers are hungry to stock. We'll still make items because we know fans want them, but we are not going to over-produce and we are not going to rush. We are not planning on changing our entire being, hiring staffers and overhauling our e-commerce business just to "make Trek work." We'll still do the occasional one-off item that we can sell straight to consumers, but it will probably never be our focus.

And I never said we had problems with the factory. I said we were still working on items at the factory. Working on something to get it right is not the same as a "problem." These things take time, and I know that people here notice when small details are not right, so we take our time. The electronic starships cannot be compared to Eaglemoss starships, and Select figures can not be compared to ReActions or Titans. They're just different products. You can compare Select to 1:12, if you like, but even those are two very different types of products, with different manufacturing challenges.

And saying that we've been having the same problem for ten years implies that nothing has changed, or that we have not fixed things we did not like, or that it's even the same people or factories working on it. IF we're working longer on items, it's to make sure we do not need to revise, correct or overhaul them in the future.
And what is a "mock up" of the Reliant and our next two ships after that? We showed 2-D (actually 2-D printouts of a 3-D rendering) or the Reliant, but we have not fully rendered three ships in anticipation of the 50th. Or do you want some kind of 3-D version? That's called a prototype, one that we are finalizing for approval and display as a representation of the final product. People seem to think that creating a 3-D file of a ship, outputting it, painting it, designing and applying the decals is the easy part. It's not, its just the first hard part. To do something faster -- output an unfinished and unpainted version, or re-paint someone else's Reliant model -- would not represent the final product, and would not be useful for approvals, or for convention display, and would waste time. Nowadays, "mock-ups" are made digitally, so we'd be putting a photo of a ship inside a photo of a box.

As far as your choice of preferred 50th anniversary products, a Captains Box Set of action figures? Captains Chair action figure box sets? Legacy of Spock action figure box set? I can only assume the actual contents of these line-ups, but if they involve new sculpting/tooling, then we're sculpting and tooling new figures as we speak. If they're all re-packs, then I"m not sure why we need to celebrate the anniversary by re-packaging something that came before into a more expensive set. Why not make new things? I have heard criticism of our re-issues, including our ships and our Retro figures, so I would think new products and characters would be preferred. BUT they take time.

If retail interest ever changes, or our license ever changes, we can change, too, but hopefully those that appreciate our products can wait for them, and those that don't can find joy elsewhere. .

#123 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

A Yridian first appeared in TNG (played by James Cromwell), much to the chagrin of Worf. The setting was DS9. More of them appeared as background characters on DS9 though.

Information peddlers/smugglers.

#124 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:31 AM

...if they involve new sculpting/tooling, then we're sculpting and tooling new figures as we speak. If they're all re-packs, then I"m not sure why we need to celebrate the anniversary by re-packaging something that came before into a more expensive set. 

I'd love it if you'd "repackage" a nurse Chapel for me!  :lol:

Seriously though... I suspect much of the passion comes from the fact that people really do like DST's ships... and I have to agree. Originally I just wanted 1... a nice TOS Enterprise... but DST kept making nice ships! oh sure they had their issues... but they were so great I kept buying them... even when I no longer had the space to display them! 

I felt like a heroine addict trying to kick the habit! I couldn't quit cold turkey! it took a combination of hard to get con exclusives or repaints I just couldn't justify to ween me off DSTs ships.

I still love what I'm seeing... and I'd be lying to say I was tempted, but as I've said I just don't have the space for anymore ships.

I'm excited to hear the TNG Phaser is at the factory! That will be a great addition to my armory... and I hope to see variations... because I'll buy them all (I still need a Trek fix!)

There is a harsh reality that Trek as a product line is changing... one example I see is that Roddenberry used to be a great resource for prop kits, or costume patterns... but they seem to have let all that evaporate... maybe things with licenses changed since Majal passed...  maybe the customers just arent there not sure... but Roddenbery used to be stalwart against secondary toy market prices... why pay $150 for a DST phase pistol when you can get a Hero kit for the same or less.... but now you can't. 

There is still a TON of Trek licensed product though... from towels and ice cube trays to high end stuff like Qmx or Mezco. Still DST offers a great product at a spectacular value for people that don't have the means.. or can't justify spending big cash on a few premium items.

#125 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

Zack, if you are still monitoring the forums, I assume that despite the fact that the Reliant, TNG Phaser and Select Borg were not shown, they are at least still being made?

#126 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

There was mention on the DST FB page recently of hoping to have a version of the TNG phaser with lights and sounds in hand soon.

#127 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

I heard that the Reliant was at Toyfair but no pictures were allowed to be taken.

#128 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

I heard that the Reliant was at Toyfair but no pictures were allowed to be taken.

that's correct.

#129 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

They anmounced it at last years TF. So a year later they are showing it again after finally managing to piece together a prototype? Wow. And they wonder why people are so critical of how they handle the the license.

#130 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

As Zach is around, I wonder if he could clear up a few questions I have about th Reliant;

1) will it have light up windows like the Romulan Bird of Prey?

2) will it be cast in the same pearlescent plastic as the Refit Enterprise?

3) will it have the same aztec texture as the refit/A

4) is the prototype for the reliant on the packaging for your recently released Khan Select figure?

#131 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

So DST just cancelled the select Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm wondering why. And whether that affects us.

#132 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

Oh really? That sucks. Was looking forward to a select Jack sparrow.

#133 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

http://toynewsi.com/...68&itemid=29031

#134 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Where was it announced? I don't see anything on Facebook, Twitter, or their website.

#135 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Ah man, the Jack Sparrow looked great. I guess the fifth film didn't generate much interest in a toy line. Shame!

#136 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

I was planning on buying both for the diorama. They said it would even expand with more figures down the line.

I'm really disappointed if they are cancelled, hoping Zach replies to my tweet soon.

#137 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

First image of the Reliant, if anyone still cares.

https://www.facebook...392012804591438

#138 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

I expected to care more when I saw it, but the fact that it’s been so long with nothing, I really don’t care anymore.

It looks pretty good, but if it ever actually gets released I don’t know if I’d actually buy it anymore.

#139 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

So the first proper image we get of it, appears on a Netflix show's facebook page... lol

#140 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

Didnt even realize that, what a joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users