Photo

Can you believe that this was an AA Phaser?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

A friend of mine from Roger and my prop forum did this up for me. This started life as an AA black and White Phaser. All new paint in the right colors, new blue lighting and all metal parts. This thing rocks. What was once a toy is now a work of art.

#2 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Man, that is cool!! Very, very cool!! And I like how you've laid out a TOS Kirk shirt underneath it. smile.gif

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:44 PM

Wow, that is amazing, I would love one, but I suspect it is out of my price range... sad.gif

#4 DefiantVulcan

DefiantVulcan

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:45 AM

It is incredible nice, I had the honor of actually holding this one in Seattle.
The weight and feel of it is perfect!

#5 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Here are a couple I own that started Life as an AA:

#6 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

Nice! I just love it when people pay attention to detail.

#7 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Nice work.

But why take a perfectly screen accurate "In a Mirror Darkly" phaser and turn it into a wonderfull version of something we only saw a blurry onscreen glimps of in TOS? If it wasn't for some books about these props we never would have known they looked like that in the first place.

There's no way I'm gonna mess with mine!

I guess I'm just a licky guy. I wanted a MR Phaser and Communicator. But the Phaser was sold out. So I bought the MR Communicator and a AA Phaser only to have both versions accurized in "In a Mirror Darkly"

#8 krash

krash

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

I think that the Mirror Darkly Phasers were HMS kits sold on http://www.roddenberry.com not the AA. The AA phaser is a recast HMS kit if I understand right.

http://store.roddenb...;parentID=11500

#9 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(Crash Test Dummy @ Sep 20 2006, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the Mirror Darkly Phasers were HMS kits sold on http://www.roddenberry.com not the AA. The AA phaser is a recast HMS kit if I understand right.

http://store.roddenb...;parentID=11500

Nope, the Mirror Darkly Phasers were AA Phasers. Just look at the picture below. You can clearly see the screw hole on the P2 and the hole that releases the sound on the P1.

So my AA Phaser is screen accurate. I'd rather drop dead than to customize it into a wonderfull piece of art that isn't screen accurate.

#10 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Well you both are correct to a point, the story goes....

AA purchased the original Phaser kit from Rodd.com back in 2003,which was manufactoried by HMS, Steve Horch and Mike Moore both who I know personally, they used this one kit to produced what we commonly know as the AA/DST phaser II today.

The deal was that credit would be given by means of noting on the packaging by knowledging Rodd.com and HMS for the design, well this did not happen on the original release, AA/DST was contacted by the said parties and they were told that the acknowledgement would be included on the packaging for the Black/White release from AA/DST, well once again this did not happen and to my knowldedge, has not happened as of this date.

So if you or Scott Bakula are holding a AA phaser in your hand, it is a product of both HMS and AA/DST.

That is the AA/DST Phaser II you see it that episode of Enterprise, also of note, the MR Communicator was also used in this episode.

BTW, if you guys want to see something really screen used:

#11 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Sep 21 2006, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the AA/DST Phaser II you see it that episode of Enterprise, also of note, the MR Communicator was also used in this episode.

Yup, making me the proud owner of two screen accurate props.

BTW: Weren't the HMS Phasers used in Triles and Tribulations (DS9)?

#12 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Sep 21 2006, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The deal was that credit would be given by means of noting on the packaging of knowledging Rodd.com and HMS for the design, well this did not happen on the original release, AA/DST was contacted by the said parties and they were told that the acknowledgement would be included on the packaging for the Black/White release from AA/DST, well once again this did not happen and to knowldedge, has not happened up to today.

AA is a great company.

#13 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Sep 21 2006, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, if you guys want to see something really screen used:

And no jewel between the dials of the P1? Sometimes there is a jewel, sometimes not. And when there is one, sometimes it's red, sometimes it's blue. I don't think two TOS screen used phasers were alike. That's why I prefere a screen accurate Mirror Darkly Phaser to one that might just look like one of those they used on TOS.

Usually for TV shows three versions of a prop are made. A detailed one for close-up filming (usually called "hero" prop, but it may be used by an extra as well if the prop is filmed from closeby), inexpensive ones for background use and rubber ones for stunts (so the stunt people don't hurt themselves with them).

Yet is Star Trek, it would seem that sometimes they used a background prop for close filming. On top of that I don't even think two "hero" Phasers were alike.

#14 DeepSix

DeepSix

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 21 2006, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW: Weren't the HMS Phasers used in Triles and Tribulations (DS9)?

HMS made the TOS phasers for T&T. The Rod.com kits are slightly retooled, but are of the T&T lineage. They are a result of the T&T phasers.

For the longest time, it was thought that the HMS "flat top" TOS phasers were used in T&T. This was not the case. HMS did make TOS phasers with a flat top P1, but these were made as a high end exclusive for the Paramount Store that used to be in Chicago.

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 21 2006, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet is Star Trek, it would seem that sometimes they used a background prop for close filming.

I think that was exactly what they did later in the series.

#15 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

Welcome aboard Deepsix, Your knowledge is amazing....... tongue.gif I have a feeling we have crossed paths somewhere... rolleyes.gif

#16 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Sep 20 2006, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine from Roger and my prop forum did this up for me. This started life as an AA black and White Phaser. All new paint in the right colors, new blue lighting and all metal parts. This thing rocks. What was once a toy is now a work of art.

Yet an "In a Mirror Darkly" AA phaser sold for $5500 at the Christie's auction. And mine is exactly the same thing, down to the molecular structure! You turned your screen accurate "In a Mirror Darkly" Phaser and turned it to something that might look a little like a TOS Phaser. I keep mine as is, knowing one like that sold for $5500 at Christie's.

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

Well if yours ever gets screen time then yours might be worth 5 grand. That's what was worth the 5 grand

not the phaser

and I think that we both know that.

It could have been an old shoe at that auction that had screen time, in this case it just happened to be a phaser. What we had here was a bunch of people with more money then brains bidding on what they thought was their last chance to get something Trek.

#18 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Oct 8 2006, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if yours ever gets screen time then yours might be worth 5 grand. That's what was worth the 5 grand

not the phaser

and I think that we both know that.

It could have been an old shoe at that auction that had screen time, in this case it just happened to be a phaser.

Oh, I agree. But any fool can say he bought the Phaser from the person who bought it at Christie's and sell his AA as screen used one on eBay now. Because there is no difference. Even microscopic examination of the prop couldn't say which one was screen used and which one wasn't. That's my point. No, mine isn't screen used, but yes it is screen accurate. Altering it in any way takes away the screen accuracy. I know mine will never be worth $5500 but it is an exact copy of the one that is. Yours is a magnificent piece of art and I mean that. But it is not screen accurate. It's a wonderfully idealized Phaser but it is not a screen accurate representation of either a TOS nor an ENT version of the prop. An off the shelf, out of the box AA Phaser on the other hand is an exact copy of the one seen in ENT, an exact copy of the one that was sold for $5500. So if in a few years an AA Phaser will be hard to find and will sell for hounderds of Dollars and I would wake up one day and see that a friend of mine would have turned the one I have into one like the one you have (or for that matter if that friend exchanged mine for a MR or a Coyle version), I would kill that friend of mine! That's what I'm trying to say.

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Or much more likely to happen is the fine folks that bought those 5,500 Phasers try to resale them and lose money big time. No one outside of those nuts at that auction are going to pay that amount. I have seen many people pay huge sums of money for a prop (thinking that it was something that it was not) only to find that they are never going to get their money back out of it.

As for not messing with one. I have an un-opened one of each and in one case almost a case of un-opened ones so either way I am covered.

#20 krash

krash

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

Either way that is one nice Phaser you have there. What's the cost for something like that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users