• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#481 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Amazing pics Jon Wes! Seriously, can I share those?

And JMW, I didn't realize the TRU base fit onto the Horta base! Embarrassed!

And I forgot that, while I don't have many old Trek figures anymore, I still have a ton of accessories. May even have a Vulcan salute hand. Will check.

#482 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think we tried to make swappable parts work on Picard, but were unable to. Not sure what that means for head, hands, waist, etc., but I will check.

Head casting:

1010494_594107577300170_63119981_n.jpg

#483 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Zach that looks great. I hope the painted version comes out as good.
The TRU bases don't fit perfectly but close enough to expand the display and look really good. If I put together a custom McCoy I will probably use the other TRU base on the other end.
These really do have a lot of options.

#484 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Zach have you looked at way's you could add more articulation to Picard? Such as ball jointed shoulders and elbows? 

#485 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Also that Picard head looks incredible!!!

#486 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

JonWes, awesome pics man, gotta try and up my game when taking photo's of these, I'm thinking more lens flare  :D

#487 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Amazing pics Jon Wes! Seriously, can I share those?

And JMW, I didn't realize the TRU base fit onto the Horta base! Embarrassed!

And I forgot that, while I don't have many old Trek figures anymore, I still have a ton of accessories. May even have a Vulcan salute hand. Will check.

Definitely, share away! Glad you liked them. Thanks to everyone there for making them. They look great.

I pulled the Vulcan salute hand from my Wrath of Khan Spock, and it fit just fine on this Spock's arm. The coloring is a bit different, but it doesn't look bad.

I think we tried to make swappable parts work on Picard, but were unable to. Not sure what that means for head, hands, waist, etc., but I will check.

Head casting:

Wow, the head sculpt on Picard looks really great! I wasn't too sure when I first saw the prototype, but seeing the sculpt there it looks really great. A bit of a bummer about no swappable parts. But, to be honest, I'd just be happy if his hands and waist are able to be swapped, so that if we get later figures from the same era of TNG maybe we can do some swapping on our own. It's one of the most fun parts about these figures, though I realize that won't work out for every character released. It'll be interesting to see how this line shakes out.

Zach that looks great. I hope the painted version comes out as good.
The TRU bases don't fit perfectly but close enough to expand the display and look really good. If I put together a custom McCoy I will probably use the other TRU base on the other end.
These really do have a lot of options.

The TRU bases do look really great connected to Horta base. I was considering getting the TRU versions too after seeing your pics. But I kind of like having them each in their own diorama right now.

JonWes, awesome pics man, gotta try and up my game when taking photo's of these, I'm thinking more lens flare   :D

LOL! Thanks! It was fun to take some nicer pics. I do it every once in a while if the toy inspires me too.

#488 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Don't do it 1701.
Lens flare only happens in the alternate universe, it's not cannon in the original. And besides, do you want JJ on your case for blurring the two franchises? Just sayin
Great pics everyone!

#489 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

:o

Wow

Wow JonWes, that picture of Janeway is, stunning. That’s exactly what I would buy, I hope someone high up sees that and gives some serious thought about making it, you art is excellent and the idea is just fantastic.

A few ideas, stuff that I would buy IF DST did it good.

Garak -

with his hemming tool, over a table in his shop, with some cast fabric in his hand. He'd have to have a few different heads, one for looking cunning, one for looking sly, and perhaps one after his fight with Sisko. His extra hands, maybe an open one, maybe one with a Cardy disrupter for shooting people in the back (its the safest way, of course). I'd like him in either his Black and Gold or Green and Red tunic.

Right of Vengeance Worf -

Mentioned alot already, Worf with a dynamic Playmates esqe look, legs spread with the Bat' leth over his head, with a DST Marvel Legends style half done Duras on the floor with a hole in his chest. Worf's extra parts, maybe a set of standard legs, arms, head, hands, and baldric to convert him to a standard Worf (Not sure how they would reattach the combadge), and different arms to give different looks from Duras's final battle.

Dukat/Wayoun/Damar diorama -

Individual figures that clip together to form a large base, maybe Cardassia Prime. Maybe include a Female Shapeshifter with Wayoun.

Naked Time Sulu -

I'm sick to death of Kirk's and Spock's, but give me this figure any day. I remember it as a kid, Sulu running down the corridor with his arms waving, maybe even the bridge seen.

Captain Sisko -

This would be like Janeway, he'd have his chair, an two extra set of legs (standing, sitting, kneeling on one leg) , three sets of heads, (Happy, angry and  p****d off) Five different hands (open, Fist for breaking glass tables, Phaser Rifle (Forget the phaser),Baseball in his hand, and if Janeway gets coffee he gets a Whisky Glass), and articulated arms.

Waltz Dukat -

Mad man Dukat, pipe and all, with the Distress beacon and Marvel Legends style Sisko attached to the base. It would be a quick variant of the standard Dukat.

Voyager Crew -

I know you've (DST) said your not going to make complete crews, but can’t you break the rules? It'd be great if we got the Doc or Seven or Commander Chuckles or Tuvok or any of them really. I'd buy 3, of each.

Vic Fontaine -

With, Microphone, and Stage. Nuff said.

Kirk VS Gorn -

I'm sick to death of this being done, but with your more pose-able figures it deserves justice. Maybe a clip together diorama?

Quark -

With bar, Morn, and Kanar. Maybe a few different heads, angry, devious etc.

Kira and Odo -

Again, two figures that make a diorama. Odo, with his desk and Chair and Kira. Odo could maybe have a swappable body and head to have the earlier seasons look.

8472 and Harry -

Perfect for this style, just make it a more accurate version of the playmates set. Harry could even have three different heads, normal, infected, and screaming.

Dax and Worf Wedding scene -

Self explanatory, with Worf and Dax from You Are Cordially Invited.

Hope you like the ideas, I've got a hell of a lot more I'll share latter

#490 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

So, every character from Voyager and DS9, with enough parts to recreate every scene. Got it. :D

#491 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

To be honest, I think the only way I'd ever buy Harry Kim is if he was an accessory to an awesome Species 8472 figure. And I'm a Voyager fan. LOL.

#492 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I would buy every Voyager character except for Kes but I would be happy just to see Chacotay, Paris and the Doc.

#493 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

DSTZach, this line would be the perfect opportunity to release the 7 of 9 in alcove figure, no?  Think of the exclusive variant opportunities! :)

#494 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

I would buy every Voyager character except for Kes but I would be happy just to see Chacotay, Paris and the Doc.

I'd PROBABLY buy every Voyager character if they released enough of them, but my top choices would be Seven (I would love to see that Seven in alcove... but is the one from the aborted Borg line the right size?), the Doctor and Chakotay. Everything else would be icing on the cake. For DS9, Odo, Quark, Kira and Sisko are my top wants.

#495 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

To be honest, I think the only way I'd ever buy Harry Kim is if he was an accessory to an awesome Species 8472 figure. And I'm a Voyager fan. LOL.

Funny you should say that, at a local hobby shop I just recently picked up one of the very few Playmates items I own, the Scorpion two-pack of an infected Kim and Species 8472.

But what about a Captain Proton / Buster Kincaid complimentary set or 2-pack, painted in black & white, with diorama?  For some reason I've always thought I want this.  Work in a Queen Arachnia Janeway somehow and my mind is blown.

#496 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

A Captain Proton 3-pack would be amazing! Incredibly unlikely as to be a pipe dream, but awesome.

The Species 8472 figure was a great figure. The Voyager Playmates are pretty much the only ones I still own.

#497 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think I am one of the odd collectors here. I don't really want to see the line littered with holodeck versions of characters, at least not until we get a regular duty uniform version of the same character. I think I would be a little upset if we got a Cowboy Worf or Sherlock Holmes Data before getting a regular uniform release of them. Im not saying I dont want them I just want uniformed versions first.

I have been thinking of a few characters from each series and what I think would be a cool way to do them in this new line.

TOS

Scotty with transporter console dio base.

McCoy (short sleeves) and Bio bed dio base.

TNG

Data with Lore (parts) discovery dio (or B4 parts)

Geordi with engineering console display base

Riker away mission dio

DS9

Quark with Bar dio (static Morn on stool accessory, and a small clear odo transforming from bar object)

Sisko with Defiant Captains chair (standing legs and sitting legs)

Worf captured with Jem Hadar battle dio.

Obrien with torn apart ops console

Voyager

Janeway with captains chair (from JonWes artwork)

Chacotay with commander chair section to match Janeway display

Doc EMH (away team dio with medkit and mobile emitter)

Paris with pilot console (sitting and standing legs)

Enterprise

Mayweather with Helm dio (it had to be said)

Archer away team dio (maybe desert uniform)

#498 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think I am one of the odd collectors here. I don't really want to see the line littered with holodeck versions of characters, at least not until we get a regular duty uniform version of the same character. I think I would be a little upset if we got a Cowboy Worf or Sherlock Holmes Data before getting a regular uniform release of them. Im not saying I dont want them I just want uniformed versions first.

I don't think you are "odd" compared to the majority of people "here" in that regard.  More likely I'm the odd one.  I completely understand people who want a uniformed set, and I completely understand how that is great from the manufacturer standpoint as well due to reuse.

But personally, if I only ever get one version of a character, I would much rather it be somehow unique and somehow reflective of one of the more memorable or emotional moments story moments.  I'm not as thrilled about having 7 figures all lined up where the only difference is the head and maybe the length of their legs.

The original DST TNG line catered to both me and you somewhat, especially at first, with its thoughtful accessories, so that even though the crew were in what I generally consider "boring old uniforms", they at least had something story-relevant with them.

Of course, the Kirk & Spock selects do exactly what I want, and what you want, simultaneously -- it's just that I'm not all that passionate about TOS and I decided to quit buying it.

Unfortunately, Picard fails miserably with its completely generic, fictitious setting.  That head casting looks pretty good but the nose still comes off as extremely exaggerated.

I wouldn't mind having a Sherlock Data over a normal Data because, for one, I already have a million regular Datas from the previous lines, and for another, Sherlock Data was a recurring role (unlike Cowboy Worf) and one that just fits the character really well.

Even better than that, Captain Proton was a recurring holodeck story-within-the-story (not only that, but sci-fi-throwback-within-sci-fi-story), it was unique in being black-and-white (which I think would be striking in action figure form), and IIRC Paris even based some of the Delta Flyer controls off of Proton's ship so it extended beyond the holodeck episodes and into the larger story context -- if the diorama included Proton's ship console or something that would be sweet.  To boot, a set would be an emotional symbol of Paris & Kim's friendship.

Outside of Sherlock Data, Captain Proton, and maybe Dixon Hill (ripping open a Borg from FC?  now we're talking), I really can't think of any other holodeck versions of main characters that I would really appreciate in figure form.  Redshirt#7 wants Vic Fontaine...  I would love that too but that is too big of a fantasy even for me to entertain!  :P

But JonWes is right, it's a pipe dream, even more unrealistic from a production standpoint than my other pipe dream of THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS Picard.  Despite openly admitting this myself, I am sure there will be several more posts pointing this out (and here's why!) as usually happens when I describe my fantasies.

So the takeaway is, if you can make the dioramas story-specific, while leaving the figures in standard uniform, I'm happy enough.  What sells JonWes's uniformed Janeway are hair options, her chair, and the coffee -- the coffee is an incredibly important component itself -- take it out and you just lost a significant portion of my interest (not all, but more than you might think).

For these reasons I like your Data w/Lore parts, and of course Quark w/bar since he basically lived there.

#499 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Don't get me wrong. I would probably buy them but just want to see regular version before fantasy versions I guess.

I think ToS would be perfect for that though. They dressed up for away missions a lot.

So some of those to satisfy the ToS crowd might be in order.

Nazi Kirk and Spock

Gangster Kirk and Spock

just to start out.

I also think selects based off of the ToS era movies would be great to have.

#500 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

All great ideas! I'd love to see a City on the Edge of Forever set. Kirk, Spock and McCoy with the big time portal.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users