• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

I picked this up the other day from UFP 1701. I must say this is a nice one considering these are referred to as "The ugly metal box". It almost makes me want to grab it and yell KAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN!! When you open the lid, it makes contact with a switch sticking out of the top and that in turn makes the lights on the face come on. About 3 seconds later a voice that claims to be Spock, but sounds nothing like him, says "Enterprise, Spock here". A black switch on the side, when pushed by hand, lights up the lower part of the Com.

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

The deatil is really cool and that action feature seems nice too. Im comparison to the TOS communicator it is a tad ugly. Its somewhat surprising that the Tek actually looks like it got less advanced as time went on. It was the 80s though and I guess simple was in style!

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well, you HAVE to show us more pictures of this in "action"
Please show us the front and the lighting as well, now that you have teased us with it. And even Starfleet Mark doing the scream, if you feel the needs.
I wonder why they didn't stay with the wrist communicators, as the Reliant crew seemed to have. That would have paved the way to earlier chest communicators (maybe they could have started out on the belt and been incorporated into the uniform). I think I heard that the director or script, called for a hand held communicator, perhaps it was short notice to get one made in time.

#4 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

Video man, video! Cause I know you made one for TPZ! tongue.gif

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

No I didn't make any video but I will have some today since you would like to see it. biggrin.gif

As I understand it the wrist com was hard to film and didn't show up very well. If this a truly a close representation of it, I can see why.

http://www.trektoy.c...k_wrist_com.JPG

The "Ugly Box Com" was brought in from a prop rental house.

#6 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Always liked the box communicator. It look ruggedized and was appropriate to the overall look of the film. I never got one, however, as the opportunity never presented itself at the right time. I do have a wrist comm, though. I used to run around the house with my Marco wrist comm and my Ed M. TWOK phaser. I won't say when, though, as I was far too old to have been doing that. Although, I'm even older now and I still tend to do stuff like that.

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

hey I have an Experience TOS Phaser Water Pistol and the cats have felt my Wrath!!

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

All I have to say is it is good to be young at heart and act like it. At least I hope it is, for my own sake. wink.gif

#9 Trek Forever

Trek Forever

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

So where's the Video??

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Trek Forever @ Aug 17 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So where's the Video??

Forgot to do it, working on my deck in the back of my house. I did this fast so I hope that it works.

Click me for da video

#11 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

Ohhhhhh, sweet! I love the lighting effects.

#12 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

haha now that was kool. and the sounds. i would not have gave that up...

#13 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:25 AM

Very nice though it is a bit clunky for my tastes...

Speaking of communicators why has DST/AA never ever done a STIII-STV Starfleet version?

-cs

#14 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Over 20 years ago I made a communicator. I must say twas pretty good!

The antenna grill, grill cover from some portable speakers, the ones you'd plug into a walkman/CD/mp3 adorned with gold model paint.

Main part, a cassette tape. buttons they rubber under part of a remote control cut into a pattern. Speaker/moire thing, though sans moire. Norelco shaver head. Kid of like the Klingon comms. Superglued on, then painted black. Wire from a spiral bound notebook to connect the grill to the main part.

Voila!

-cs

#15 iams001efni

iams001efni

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have one of those ME WOK comms, but mine seems to have a wiring problem. The LED at the top is always on, whether the button is pressed or not, and it just drains away the batteries. It is very dim but still. I have looked at it but I cannot figure it out. Its a cool comm, but no where near as cool as Sporaks build of the WOK comm on TPZ.

#16 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

That's a cool communicator reproduction! Hopefully the DST version will be as nice , if it gets made that is .

#17 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (iams001efni @ Jun 29 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of those ME WOK comms, but mine seems to have a wiring problem. The LED at the top is always on, whether the button is pressed or not, and it just drains away the batteries. It is very dim but still. I have looked at it but I cannot figure it out. Its a cool comm, but no where near as cool as Sporaks build of the WOK comm on TPZ.

A Marco Enterprises prop with bad wiring? The hell you say! wink.gif

Half my ME stuff had bad wiring soon after getting them. An entire ST3 landing party set, a medical scanner, a TNG cricket.

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (iams001efni @ Jun 29 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have build number one of those as well. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users