The Five Captains of Star Trek

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

This goes out to DST Zach but can be a general discussion on an idea I had which I think is just a winner even before any plastic has been cast. A box set of all five Star Trek captains:

Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway.

How hasn't this been done!!!! Zach can you make this happen?

#2 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Not an official stance, but my thoughts:

1. I think there would be a lot of new tooling, as I'm not sure we have the in-scale parts to re-create all of those bodies, let alone the heads, so the initial investment would be significant. Perhaps as many as four completely new figures.

2. We've had trouble selling themed assortments of Trek figures to retailers in the past, which is why we're moving to the Select model. The last TOS wave had a few re-used characters, like this set would, but the Borg assortment was all-new, and orders were very low. So as cool as the set sounds, it might be a tough sell.

3. It would cost a lot of money at retail. The Marvel Select four-pack at Disney right now runs about $90, so you're looking at a minimum of $100. Packaging unfortunately does not get cheaper as it gets bigger. Did we ever do a TOS bridge crew box set? I don't think we did. That would be pricey, as well, but I can see that being a big seller.

4. I can't make ANYTHING happen. Maybe with Minimates I could suggest some directions, but 7-inch figures represent massive financial investments, made by those above my pay grade. I would Ask DST -- it's certainly a cool idea.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hey Zach, Thanks for taking time to come here and fill us in on stuff like this. It is great to get the inside perspective.
As for 1701's idea I do think there may be a way to do something similar but it would hinge on the select line going on for a while (lets hope).
Reserve a spot in each wave (1 per year) for a different captain and a themed display base that would tie them all together. Kind of like the Danger room bases for some of the X Men marvel Select. Just me thinking out loud. I know. Its dangerous.

#4 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Zach, great opinions from a guy with more knowledge of the toy industry than any of us. Aren't the Select figures all new sculpts though?

Maybe JMW's idea is a better one and spread them out but the problem I see is that would anyone buy Captain Archer or even Janeway and Sisko on his own? I know I would as would many here but would enough people be interested? As part of a set of the 5 captains he would probably be more desirable as would Sisko and Janeway I think? It sucks that costs get in the way - I'd still spend $90.00 on a set though and I think many fans would too, I mean those 5 ARE Star Trek really, the leaders, the Captains. If DST could only do 5 figures EVER to be made of Star Trek, those 5 would be my choice.

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

With no comment towards the knowledge or experience of Zach, I think thats a pretty presumptuous statement. There are quite a few members here who have been collecting toys for quite some time and have read up on toys and watched video blogs/interviews from various toy makers. Yes Zach has an inside track on many practices of DST but please do not diminish the contributions/knowledge of everyone else on this site.

#6 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Nov 20 2012, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With no comment towards the knowledge or experience of Zach, I think thats a pretty presumptuous statement. There are quite a few members here who have been collecting toys for quite some time and have read up on toys and watched video blogs/interviews from various toy makers. Yes Zach has an inside track on many practices of DST but please do not diminish the contributions/knowledge of everyone else on this site.

So whats AskDST for? Isn't it for fans of DST product to ask the guy who knows more about the product coming out? Hmmmm anyway...

I never intended to diminished anyone's knowledge or contributions to this site but unless there are others here who work in the toy industry with companies like DST then surely DSTZach knows more about the industry he works in than the FANS that don't? Regardless of your enthusiasm for the toy industry or the knowlege we have via extrnal sources, it's not the same as having someone who WORKS for a toy company giving his or her opinion - on or off the record. Its not diminishing to anyone to say what I said unless we all work for DST but if i've offended you then I'm sorry.

I think is kinda presumptuous to think we know as much or more about the toy industry than the guy working IN the toy industry and really, your last sentence sums my point up,

Yes Zach has an inside track on many practices of DST but...

#7 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Nov 20 2012, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not an official stance, but my thoughts:

1. I think there would be a lot of new tooling, as I'm not sure we have the in-scale parts to re-create all of those bodies, let alone the heads, so the initial investment would be significant. Perhaps as many as four completely new figures.

2. We've had trouble selling themed assortments of Trek figures to retailers in the past, which is why we're moving to the Select model. The last TOS wave had a few re-used characters, like this set would, but the Borg assortment was all-new, and orders were very low. So as cool as the set sounds, it might be a tough sell.

Hey Zach...thank you for taking the time to respond to all of us. I have a few related questions to a few of your points.

1. I would have assumed that you had all the molds and parts from previous figures, but is that not the case? I think 1701's idea was stemming initially from the idea that Kirk, Sisko, and Picard...if not Archer (AA), would all be re-releases and that Janeway (and possibly Archer) would be the only new sculpts needed.

2. Regarding the Borg line...I've always felt that wave one was not super successful because of the nameless drone and partially assimilated starfleet guy.Not that they weren't cool, but they didn't have any real "star power." I bet a single wave of Seven, Borg Seven, Borg Queen, and Locutus would have rocked it out! Are those sculpts still around? Or, if you were to pursue any of those characters would you have to start from scratch? (I'd love a separate thread that follows a figure from concept to store...and if there's one out there already, please re-post or point me to it)

I realize you can't tell us "This is next" or "That is next," but I believe a lot of us are on the fence with the Select line until we see evidence that it's going to be more inclusive of other series. I get leading with Kirk and Spock, I totally do, but I am personally over both of them. I am anxious to know that the other shows in the franchise will get some love. Do you have an idea of when we might learn some new information? I think we're all hoping that something similar to JMW326's idea will happen...but we're afraid (at least I am) from past experience that the third figure might be Spock in Vegetable Attire from "Spock's Brain" or something. I'll be buying the Horta action figure even though it comes with Spock, but the Kirk/Khan set is definitely not going on my list until I know who that third figure will be. Maybe it's another captain? (Had to try and get it back on topic...) I'd love to know when we might hear something.

#8 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

I in no way want to come off as the end-all, be-all of toy manufacturing information. I'm sure someone who has been in the hobby for longer than me (I'm at 13 years) has acquired plenty of knowledge.

But, full disclosure, I did write and edit ToyFare Magazine for eight years, where I interviewed people at every action figure and collectibles company around, and I even helped come up with feasible variants for their mail-away toy program, using existing tooling whenever possible. I have also visited Hasbro and Mattel HQ, been inside a toy factory in China (while they were in production on multiple lines from Palisades Toys), covered the Tokyo Toy Show from the floor and even worked briefly at another, more specialized toy company -- in product deveopment -- before taking the TF job. So nobody should feel slighted that I have a fair amount of data to draw on.

(I also co-wrote and photographed Twisted Mego/ToyFare Theatre, but that's not really relevant.)

If we made all five captains in the Select line (and I believe the next figure will be a captain), then yes, a box set would be a no-brainer. But each of those figures besides Kirk would need all-new tooling -- our old Picard is out of scale, as are any parts needed for Sisko and Janeway (aside from maybe the flashback head we made for Sisko). And AA's Archer is made with the rubber parts, so I have no idea if that's usable, or if we even have it anymore.

EVery Marvel Select is new sculpting, as is every Munster, but the Munsters B&W box set is all repaints of existing figures, and the Spidey box set at Disney has two old figures in it, and the other two are being issued as singles. So until at least three or four captains have been released, I think a five-pack is a tall order. Luckily, I think Captains will be the backbone of this line.

Nobody's asking you all to blindly support the Select line -- if it's not your bag, it's not your bag. The Trek brand has changed from what it was, and we as a company need to adapt with it. Hopefully you like what we come up with.

#9 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Nov 21 2012, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I in no way want to come off as the end-all, be-all of toy manufacturing information. I'm sure someone who has been in the hobby for longer than me (I'm at 13 years) has acquired plenty of knowledge.

But, full disclosure, I did write and edit ToyFare Magazine for eight years, where I interviewed people at every action figure and collectibles company around, and I even helped come up with feasible variants for their mail-away toy program, using existing tooling whenever possible. I have also visited Hasbro and Mattel HQ, been inside a toy factory in China (while they were in production on multiple lines from Palisades Toys), covered the Tokyo Toy Show from the floor and even worked briefly at another, more specialized toy company -- in product deveopment -- before taking the TF job. So nobody should feel slighted that I have a fair amount of data to draw on.

(I also co-wrote and photographed Twisted Mego/ToyFare Theatre, but that's not really relevant.)

If we made all five captains in the Select line (and I believe the next figure will be a captain), then yes, a box set would be a no-brainer. But each of those figures besides Kirk would need all-new tooling -- our old Picard is out of scale, as are any parts needed for Sisko and Janeway (aside from maybe the flashback head we made for Sisko). And AA's Archer is made with the rubber parts, so I have no idea if that's usable, or if we even have it anymore.

EVery Marvel Select is new sculpting, as is every Munster, but the Munsters B&W box set is all repaints of existing figures, and the Spidey box set at Disney has two old figures in it, and the other two are being issued as singles. So until at least three or four captains have been released, I think a five-pack is a tall order. Luckily, I think Captains will be the backbone of this line.

Nobody's asking you all to blindly support the Select line -- if it's not your bag, it's not your bag. The Trek brand has changed from what it was, and we as a company need to adapt with it. Hopefully you like what we come up with.

Thanks! Fascinating bio and really interesting information about the Select line. It's making more sense to me. Thanks for the potential tidbits, too! I'm already more cautiously optimistic than before. smile.gif

#10 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

No problem. I actually may be mistaken, in that AA made a Picard for Nemesis that may have been in scale to TOS, while the later DST figure was much larger. That may solve the Sisko problem, as well.

That is my one gap, ironically -- I know toy production, but I don't know the AA/DST line backwards and forwards. Not yet.

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Zach, great bio. I look forward to what DST do next with Star Trek as it goes forward. Hopefully you guys will eventually get a JJ Abrams movie license too!!

Looking forward to the next Star Trek Select figure to be shown! I'm only interested in the Captains really since those are the main characters and I don't have much space - all of that is reserved for your ships and Hasbro's Trek ships biggrin.gif

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Nov 21 2012, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a fan who started with Toyfare from the two special issues that eventually became a monthly mag, I can say that it may be the most relevant!!

#13 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Nov 21 2012, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach, great bio. I look forward to what DST do next with Star Trek as it goes forward. Hopefully you guys will eventually get a JJ Abrams movie license too!!

Looking forward to the next Star Trek Select figure to be shown! I'm only interested in the Captains really since those are the main characters and I don't have much space - all of that is reserved for your ships and Hasbro's Trek ships biggrin.gif

I think Select will be Captain-heavy.

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Nov 21 2012, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a fan who started with Toyfare from the two special issues that eventually became a monthly mag, I can say that it may be the most relevant!!

I threw that in for your benefit. You mention it in all of your Retro reviews. Still, not really an indicator of expertise.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I hope the select line is captain heavy!

And Zach, yes the nemesis Picard is in scale to the AA Kirk. In fact those nemesis sculpts are really nice. I wouldn't begrudge heavy reuse of those bits for both a sisko and Picard. The one issue with them may be that they have select rubber bits that are probably more expensive to manufacture these days.

As pointed out archer really needs to be completely redone and there isn't much to draw on for janeway. I suppose if you wanted to draw on base parts, you could do a nemesis Janeway, but she was Admiral Janeway by then.

#15 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I really hope DST do Archer, he's one of the ones I can see DST shying away from due to the appeal the series had but I think they really need to know the captains are gonna sell.

I'd love an Archer from Season 3/4. Not sure what he'd come with though.

#16 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Nov 22 2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love an Archer from Season 3/4. Not sure what he'd come with though.

How about Porthos?

#17 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yeah Porthos would be awesome, actually I'd go as far as saying that Porthos will make an Archer figure far more desirable! I'm guessing I'm thinking more of what diorama he'd come with?

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Porthos is an easy custom though...

http://www.gkmm.home...ustom_white.jpg

#19 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

True but besides the fun you can have customizing, the only reason people custom is either to have something that hasn't been done (or to make something look better). I'd rather have an official Porthos made by DST than to have one made by me, I don't like customising my stuff.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Understood... and I agree that the a main reason for doing customs is to get figures not done in a retail line. I know I and many others did our own custom away team to fill out the two missing members, likewise a porthos was an easy fill in. Heck I even got me a Mirror Porthos!

There is no way DST is ever going to do an "In a Mirror Darkly" set, so I did my own. Would I love DST to do it?! Heck yeah, but if given a choice to cost out other accessories, live phasers, and away gear vs a Porthos, I think I'd take the away gear and simply use some schleich figurines to fill in the gaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users