Photo

People want more "Back to the Future", Trek... not so much.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

https://www.hollywoo...ew-poll-1162812

According to 2,201 people surveyed, Back to the Future is the film franchise they'd like to see return most. I also found the Star Trek questions and responses interesting.

• An astounding 7% of respondents have never seen nor heard of the Star Trek film franchise.

• 67% of respondents view the franchise "very" or "somewhat" favorably. The rest either don't know or don't like it at all.

• And only 32% are "very likely" to see another installment, while 23% are "somewhat likely" to do so. Only 17% say they're "not too likely" to see another Trek film and 21% insist they're "not likely at all."

Overall it's not a perfect survey. (I wouldn't classify Avatar as a franchise with only one movie, for example.) My takeaway was that the more films there are in a series, the less likely a franchise is to attract new moviegoers. Nostalgia is a powerful drug, of course, but over time even that draw wanes.

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

I really don't see where they could go with Back to the future.
Growing up, I noticed that the people around me that enjoyed thinking and seemed to be smarter than average enjoyed Star Trek and things similar to it, while those that didn't like to think and were more apt to watch shows that didn't require thinking and so they didn't like Star Trek. Today it seems most people don't want to think anymore and depend on social media to tell them how to act and so movies and TV shows are filled with action and little plot because they may get bored, because they don't want to think. People like that answer polls like this.

#3 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:48 AM

63% of respondents have some college education.

24% have bachelors degrees.

13% have post-graduate educations.

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

Clearly these people with some college education arent smart enough to like Star Trek.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

63% of respondents have some college education.

24% have bachelors degrees.

13% have post-graduate educations.

College degrees don't seem to be indicative of intelligence or common sense in our present time period.

#6 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:27 AM

6% of respondents were from Generation Z (18-21)

24% of respondents were Millennials (22-37)

29% of respondents were from Generation X (38-53)

36% of respondents were Baby Boomers (54-72)

#7 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

I bet it's millennials who haven't seen nor heard of the Trek film franchise, despite the studio's best efforts to convert it into a superhero film series type of thing. That's the only plausible explanation. That, and on-demand streaming television: if you don't seek something out chances are you're not gonna see it.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:38 AM

MisterPL... I never believe facts unless they are presented in a pie chart!

:roflmao:

Seriously though, that a pretty interesting survey. If you look at the "favorable view" question, its obvious that the big looser is "Twilight"... which I agree was complete garbage... Otherwise you can see that there isn't a ton of deviation on the "somewhat" questions, but the extreme ends seem to align to my views.

Which reminds me that individually, we can all have wildly different views, but collectively, we may not vary as much as we seem... 

Wisdom of the crowd so to speak.. 

#9 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:54 AM

I bet it's millennials who haven't seen nor heard of the Trek film franchise, despite the studio's best efforts to convert it into a superhero film series type of thing. 

Given that 7% of respondents have never heard of Trek and 6% of the respondents are from Generation Z, I'm more inclined to point the finger at them, not Millennials.

I'm not sure how using directors JJ Abrams and Justin Lin, neither of whom are associated with comic book films, indicates an attempt to turn Trek into a superhero franchise but I agree that there's far less of a chance of randomly catching an episode of any TV series if it's only available on a streaming service. The days of finding a new show while channel surfing are waning.  :(

#10 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

The days of channel surfing in general are waning.

More and more people are using streaming services over live TV, myself included.

The only time I watch live TV is when my wife and I go to my parents for dinner.

I dont know how many new shows Ive watched simply because theyve shown up as recommended or new on Netflix/Hulu/Prime/All Access.

Thats the new channel surfing.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

I paused to watch the end of quigly down under on live tv the other day. They hacked entire scenes out of it just so they could stuff more adds in. Live tv is its own worst enemy... they make it so unappealing to watch. Id rather rent something from red box.

It will come down to word of mouth and recommendations from friends.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

I paused to watch the end of quigly down under on live tv the other day. They hacked entire scenes out of it just so they could stuff more adds in. Live tv is its own worst enemy... they make it so unappealing to watch. Id rather rent something from red box.

It will come down to word of mouth and recommendations from friends.

That's exactly why I haven't watched live TV or had cable or a digital antenna for years. If I am going to make the investment of time into watching something, it's going to be uncut and commercial free or I will pass. I will not walk into a movie that has already started and I will not watch a story arc type series unless I can start at the beginning. Live TV sucks.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

We can certainly agree on that. I dont mind watching commercials... but I was just dumb struck at how much they hacked out of that movie... I only paused because its a favorite of mine.... what they did changed the entire vibe of the ending!

#14 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

Despite so many "fans" insisting that "Star Trek should be free," it never has been. Someone's had to pay for it. For decades it was advertisers. Now we can get it beamed right to our devices – commercial-free – and "fans" still complain. Apparently these people never bought movie tickets. 

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

I've never insisted that it be free,someone has to pay for it. I would gladly pay a subscription for good content. There are still people that can't get affordable internet service capable of streaming content like Netflix and the like. Those people have to rent from Redbox or buy discs to watch content that isn't played on cable or sattelite.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

Or.... go and rent stuff for free from your local library!!!! 

#17 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

7% were headless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users