• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

I imagine most of you have seen this by now, but figured we could have a thread.
https://youtu.be/yzpBS9cC83U

I really, really hope that this doesn't end up having a very similar story to Empire.

I'm mixed on the fact that there are seemingly walkers attacking a white planet, but we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing Rey, and possibly Kylo's training.

Also loving th A-Wing's and new Nebulon B looking frigates.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

I loved Force Awakens and am really liking what I'm seeing from this teaser. I can't wait.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

I don't get the name. Basically since RTOTJ likes ben the last Jedi... so he's supposed to bring order to the universe, but fails, so now he's the last Jedi again.?? 

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

I assume it means there won't be any Jedi at all after this.

Luke said the Jedi have to end, which makes some people think he is going to train Rey to use the force in a middle ground of the dark and light.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:50 AM

Well... ultimately, there has to be a protagonist and antagonist for most films to make sense to people... so even if they don't call them Jedi... someone has to be the overall "good" guy and someone needs to be the "bad guy". Kinda sounds like that same light vs dark struggle Vader went through, ultimately giving in to more of his baser urges and making him darker. Based on the events of of TFA... its seems the Jedi were effectively wiped out... and the last of them was really Yoda as Luke was never really indoctrinated as a proper Jedi and the temple and order etc have all been wiped out.

Basically were down to you have force sensitive people, and some may use the force to advance their own ends, while others use it for the better welfare of others... so good guys and bad guys.

I remain optimistically skeptical about the Star Wars Franchise... they seem to put out technically good product... and this trailer is no exception... looks fantastic!  But they seem to feel the need to rehash previous plots or maybe I see this as weak attempt to reboot the concept of the force envisioned by Lucas.

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:47 AM

My guess based upon hearing a lot of stuff from Star Wars fans is that Luke says "the Jedi must end" before he's convinced by Rey to train her. He's a broken man who needs convincing that there is still good to be done.

I've also been hearing a lot about grey Jedi. Jedi who are neither good nor evil but remain in the middle. I think that's what we're going to be seeing develop. Rey won't be as clean cut a devout Jedi and perhaps Ren won't be as clear cut a Sith.

I think we all know that this new trilogy will follow the same rhythm as the original trilogy so I'm going to expect a lot of the same pacing and tone from Empire Strikes Back in The Last Jedi.

#7 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

The Sith failed. The Jedi failed. There needs to be balance, a school that teaches students to use the "light" and "dark" sides in harmony. 

Lucas originally called his knight Jedi Bendu Warriors. I've long felt a new discipline should simply be named "Bendu."

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Ok... now you have my attention MisterPL! 

If thats where they go with it then, ok... yeah... much better... but ultimately even when you take a path of moderation... radicals may come forth... basically thats how the Sith / Jedi thing seemed to work... most Sith Lords turned out to be Jedi that completely flipped... so an arc that sets up how "Bendu Knights" come to prevail and ultimately bring the balance needed sounds very intriguing!

#9 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, that's extremism for you.

The prequels made it apparent that the Jedi never really defeated the Sith. They only drove them into hiding. According to the EU material, the Sith decimated their own numbers first, leading to the rule of two; a master and an apprentice.

The Jedi had far more numbers but became arrogant and blind to what was happening right under their noses. Neither Sith nor Jedi really deserved to survive. The prophecy was correct. There needs to be balance.

In my opinion, Luke is the Chosen One, the first Force-user to successfully use both sides, proving there could be balance. I was really hoping that we'd see a new school of Bendu in The Force Awakens but obviously something happened and he has no students. I guess that's about to change.

#10 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

There does seem to be a "second film" feel to this, as with the prequels, and I wish they would just give up this structure but they won't.

The trailer ultimately raises more questions than it answers, which is a good thing. I just hope they keep the plot under wraps till the release, as I felt the lid wasn't all that tight in the months leading up to The Force Awakens. The action figures for characters that didn't make the final cut were kind of a neat thing to happen though. Everyone now knows who Constable Zuvio was.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

The general "buzz" out on the net seems to be pretty positive about the concept of doing away with the Jedi concept... but to keep things in balance that means the Sith juxtaposition needs to go too. What I think will be interesting is if they develop this third force sensitive order... but there will still be those that will embrace the Jedi/Sith orders... and perhaps those of the new order will have the right balance to defeat either.

#12 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

Kylo Ren isn't all bad, there's good in him Leia says so it stands to reason that Rey and Ren will both develop into something other than just good vs evil

#13 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

There's a justifiable reason for this story structure though.

Act One: Get Character Up a Tree. Act Two: Throw Rocks. Act Three: Get Character Down

https://quoteinvesti.../09/05/up-tree/

Star Wars was not the first to observe & use this structure across its trilogies, and will not be the last, so I don't think it is really fair to criticize them as "copying themselves" just because Film #2 is "dark".

Now, it *is* fair to criticize when the structure is so similar as to include even details like "giant round superweapon must be deactivated/destroyed in final act of Film #1"...  And of course, remember, this structure needs to be followed generally within each film as well, but at the higher trilogy level it makes #2 seem like there are nothing but "rocks".

Anyway, not long now and we'll all know how this turned out!  Pretty excited over here!  I kind of expect Luke to get like 10 minutes of screen time, which would be disappointing -- but I'm hoping he gets a lot more or at least some real pivotal scenes.

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

All I want from this movie is a scene where they show Luke as a badass, showing how powerful he is.

The closer and closer we get to Thursday night, the more excited I get. I just can’t wait for The Last Jedi.

#15 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:40 AM

Have to admit,I'm seeing it tomorrow and I just can't muster up any excitement for it this time around. It feels like a chore watching it,just wanna get it over and done with and just hope it's good. SOOOO not in the SW zone right now. Oh well,maybe it's so good I'll be all SW again,lol!

#16 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

I think Star Wars has been built up soooo much that anyone who isnt a die hard Star Wars Fan is just meh about the whole franchise.

The problem Ive always had with Star Wars is that its been branded and sold so many times over that the very heart and soul of what was just three, low budget b-movies, made in some leaky film set just down the road from my house in London, has been completely destroyed and turned into this giant toy making machine. Theres no soul to Star Wars anymore and whilst fanboys are a plenty, I cant see this franchise having the breadth of the Marvel cinematic universe.

No matter how much this new movie has been promised to audiences as being something other than just a modern telling of Empire, I just cant see this being a movie that doesnt follow the same beats and storyline of Empire.

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

No matter how much this new movie has been promised to audiences as being something other than just a modern telling of Empire, I just cant see this being a movie that doesnt follow the same beats and storyline of Empire.

While i'm still pumped for it, this is my concern. 

It'll be very disappointing if The Last Jedi rehashes Empire like The Force Awakens rehashed A New Hope. 

I can understand them rehashing A New Hope with episode 7, it hits the nostalgia of the Star Wars fans that hated the Prequels, and inspires some confidence that Disney is handling the Star Wars franchise right. 

If they do it again though, then there will be a lot more people, even within the Star Wars fanboy group, that will lose some excitement for whatever Episode 9 is called. 

The only nice thing about the franchise is that the anthology movies like Rogue One aren't rehashing past movies, so they're at least something to look forward to at this point with some confidence. Except for Han Solo one, not sure about that movie. 

#18 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Well Ive watched some reviews for it and its mostly positive, seems to take the franchise in a new direction even if there are some beats that harken back to Empire Strikes Back. I think most of the die hard Star Wars fans will enjoy it and get something new from it, I think itll make a lot of money obviously but whilst it may have financial success, I get the distinct impression from those Ive watched on the tube, that this will not be a movie as fondly remembered as a classic.

Rogue One was such a great movie because it was a little grittier, it was something new with new characters but set in a familiar universe. It was great. But I just cant get excited for this movie and really for the future of this franchise... its just a giant toy factory and the movies seem to be strangled by a very very particular vision Kathleen Kennedy has for it. Theres really no freedom and truthfully; it just seems that every decision is made to sell more toys and to increase brand recognition rather than making a good movie; Rogue One was a great movie and its success was routed in the fact that it was something new that didnt seem to be made to sell more toys.

I do worry about the decisions being made. They are clearly channeling Marvel with the anthology movies being focused on particular characters like Solo, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett etc... I just think they need to go and do movies that are focused on newer characters.

The new Disney Streaming series could be interesting... I have a feeling that may be something completely different; Knights of the Old Republic perhaps?

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Don't forget we're getting a completely new trilogy from Rian too, which people seem to be excited for. 

Not to mention once Rebels ends we'll get a new animated series no doubt. 

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Overall the reviews are positive. I'll see this movie, but my expectations are set from "The force Awakens" and my go to critic seems to confirm some of my fears.

Perhaps the most telling thing we’ve learned from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi is that George Lucas was right with his 2005 claim (later reversed) that there wouldn’t be an Episode VII because there was no more story to tell. Filmmakers can bring back Han, Luke, and Leia but that doesn’t mean there’s a compelling narrative for them. Return of the Jedi, for all its faults, was a triumphant end to Luke’s journey, Anakin’s arc, and the Empire/Rebellion war. For this post-Lucas trilogy, the stakes seem smaller, the villains less intimidating, and the story too familiar. Every new movie gives us additional planets but, with the last two films, the far, far away galaxy seems to be shrinking.

Basically... this is what I felt from the TFA... yet even this critic says, for all these faults, its worth the experience. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users