• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#441 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Though playmates still went and gave it the *mysterious variable geometry nose* for some reason. The movable nose that doesn't look right in either resting position, only half way in between... why the hell did they add that expense to the mould when it added precisely nothing to the ships accuracy or play value?

#442 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Firstly Destructor, thanks for the comment on my profile page (got the email, and had no idea where to look for about 10 minutes lol). smile.gif

Secondly, are you talking about the playmates Defiant? Even with that nose business, I wish I'd have gotten one as a kid (it came out at a time when I'd gone off Star Trek, that lasted for about a year, and I never saw one for sale again).

Thirdly, and this is something I've wanted to know for a while now, how does Art Asylum go about 'making' the toys? I don't mean manufacturing them, but the process of making them from the get-go. The only two ships (I think) I know about, are the NX-01 (which was laser-scanned from the studio model if I remember the box correctly, but there wasn't a studio model was there?), and the Enterprise D, which is the AMT/Ertl model kit (or based off of that). In other words, say with the Defiant in future, would they be likely to do what they did with the NX-01 (laser scan a studio model, or use a good CG-version, like Tobias Richter's version ), or with the Enterprise D (use the AMT model kit, which is based off of the uglier show-used CG model)? I'd hope they would use Tobias's sculpt of her, because it's so accurate, and isn't he making it for DS9 HD anyway? Either way, it's perfect, and I've got my fingers crossed that they do. smile.gif

#443 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Feb 18 2013, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can bet my left testicle that it wont be Voyager, that would be an oddball out of the blue ship, they would do Defiant over Voyager

Nice bet, and you're probably right. But ... what if you lose? I don't wanna see that. biggrin.gif

#444 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Feb 19 2013, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice bet, and you're probably right. But ... what if you lose? I don't wanna see that. biggrin.gif
I had the same thought, Ftw. I guess if BadBunnyMike loses that bet, he could changes his name to Voltaire? ;) Of course, I'll be busy having my jaw wired shut since it'll have broken from slamming into the floor at the sheer shock and excitement over what I'd consider the most pleasant surprise DST could offer in the way of ships.

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Feb 19 2013, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though playmates still went and gave it the *mysterious variable geometry nose* for some reason. The movable nose that doesn't look right in either resting position, only half way in between... why the hell did they add that expense to the mould when it added precisely nothing to the ships accuracy or play value?
You know, I've wondered this for years, and I've never been able to find a good answer. Believe me, it's been on my mind since I first got the aforementioned Defiant as a kid in the '90s; it was just one of those weird things that's never made any sense. (At least the FC 1701

#445 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Feb 19 2013, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then this Bad Bunny would be getting the Bob Barker treatment haha...but still a pretty safe bet to make

#446 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Jay, you're quite correct that there is no physical shooting model of the NX-01 in existance. I've never seen the back of the box for that one, so I can't offer any interpretation of that one... Maybe they scanned an art department maquette?

As for the Enterprise-D, while DST's early showings of the ship at trade shows were almost certainly pro-built AMT kits, the final toy differs MASSIVELY from the AMT sculpt.

I remember, during the design of the Enterprise-D toy, how the AA blog kept us up to date with it. The actual sculpt appeared to be an iterative process - in one blog entry, they got back a sample from whoever was creating the sculpt, and it had decks 3 and 4 (the keyhole shaped decks containing the main shuttlebay, under the bridge) flush with the surface of the saucer, just scribed lines.

The blog entry is unfortunately lost to time, now... But it was pretty clear that whoever was making that sculpt was doing it from blueprints, rather than a model, and that they were pretty unfamiliar with the drsign, to boot.

I wish those entries... Or even just the pictures, were still extant! They were fascinating.

Oh, and don't get me wrong about the PM Defiant, she's a great depiction of the ship, and in that case, definitely based on the AMT model (to the point where PM moulded and painted the sockets for the lower phaser cannons, which were apparently missing from their AMT kit), mistaking them for windows?!

#447 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Ok from what ive found out doing a quick search on tinternet, The NX-01 from Art Asylum was built using the CGI model of the ship used in the show and done by Gentle Giant for art asylum. The figures were done by GG too and used scanning tech to scan each actor. The Enterprise E used the same process as the NX01 too. The Enterprise A was sculpted from scratch using a visit to see the studio model as a reference.

I think any prototype we see is probably a kit-bashed AMT model but it wouldn't surprise me if DST then tweaked it to make it their own and suitable for mass production as I wouldn't say it differs massively at all, there are differences, mainly the nacelle pylons and the impulse engines but the detailing and proportions are all the same.

As for the PM Defiant, I loved that ship. The sounds were awesome, it was robust and a great kids toy and as a kid I wasn't worried about the nose being in a weird place, it was just a cool toy that some of my friends thought was cooler than the Millennium Falcon (even though we all know every Star Trek ship is cooler than any Wars ship), others called it a flying toilet seat but whatever I LOVED it for its time. Obviously I want DST to do a better job since its been what 18 years since the Defiant came out from PM and obviously DST have an older client to please.

Www.figures.com have an archive with Art Asylum news, there's info there.

#448 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

My wish list of these would be:
Voyager
Defiant
Reliant

But my luck they'll do them in the reverse order. When I sold my Voyager and Defiant, it really was with the expectation that DST would likely make those. At the time, I thought we'd get 3-4 new ships a year! LOL. Oh, how wrong I was. Still, hopefully they'll get to them in time.

#449 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Feb 20 2013, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its been what 18 years since the Defiant came out from PM

Sorry, but that's the only appropriate response to the above! :/

Thanks for the info though guys. Do AA tend to share development information and pictures, then? I haven't followed them that closely since they shut the old forum down (t'is why I joined up here). I love seeing things like this progress from start, to finish. smile.gif

QUOTE (JonWes @ Feb 20 2013, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wish list of these would be:
Voyager
Defiant
Reliant

But my luck they'll do them in the reverse order. When I sold my Voyager and Defiant, it really was with the expectation that DST would likely make those. At the time, I thought we'd get 3-4 new ships a year! LOL. Oh, how wrong I was. Still, hopefully they'll get to them in time.

Dude, random suggestion, but if Voyager is your favourite ship, then I'd say you should consider seeking out one of the Bandai kits of her (one that snaps together, and lights up). It's stunning to look at, and has as much detail on it as you could possibly imagine. Probably a wee-bit expensive nowadays, but if you like it as much as I love the Defiant, then go for it. Mine sits on its landing-pegs, which is so cool. smile.gif

#450 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Feb 20 2013, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but that's the only appropriate response to the above! :/

My mistake it was released in 1997 which would make it 16 years ago... Still, makes me feel very old. Even AA's first ship the NX-01 was released 12 years ago! It's good to know these ships last though and there's no sign of colour fading or print rubbing off of them or plastic warping etc... Hope thats true of DST's most recent ships too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users