X-files: I Want to Believe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

I have been seeing trailers for the new X-files movie lately and was wondering what everyone thinks.

Personally, this one came out of the blue to me. I found out about it last year browsing around on the internet.

I really don't know what to think about. The trailers are extremely vague and the website isn't giving me much to work on. The thing that concerns me most ... Xzibit. Anytime you put a rapper in a movie its bad mojo I think. I've seen Mr. Xzibit on "Pimp My Ride" and was never really impressed with his 'acting' abilities. There are several other actors I could come up with that are far more capable of performing. Of course, maybe he's a diamond in the rough and will completely surprise ... but I doubt it.

"I want to believe" ...

#2 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Well I've heard conflicting things about...I think they intentionally released false information about the movie to stave off internet speculation. But at this point who knows.

I'm just curious to see if they'll reveal how Mulder and Scully got back to being regular FBI agents and not "on the run" like they were at the end of the series.

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:47 AM

I saw this last week ~ along with about six other people (two of which sat right next to me and chattered away like a pair of love birds until I told them to shut up) after hearing the news that it had flopped in the US.

It was entertaining in a mildly gruesome way and not a bad way to spend an afternoon if you've nothing else to do, but basically it was a police procedural with a bit of ESP thrown in. It wasn't a plot that ought to have been made into a movie at all; it simply wasn't big enough in terms of events of scope. It was more your typical blown-up X Files episode and the gruesome wrongdoings were neither gruesome enough or impressive enough.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:46 AM

That's sad. I was a big X Files fan but I did not go to see this movie for some reason. I think that I'll wait until the DVD comes out now or I can find it at the used DVD store close to my house.

#5 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

This whole thing was really a big mistake in my opinion. Now, granted, I'm not a big X-files fan, but a good friend of mine is, and seeing that she's a closet nerd and didn't want anyone to find out I went with her. We went on a Saturday afternoon opening weekend...and at one of the largest theaters in DC, no less. And you know what? There were about 20 showings of Batman - which had opened the week before, mind you - and only 5 of X-files, the "big" opening that week. Not a good sign. Not to mention that we got there only a few minutes before the movie began and were able to not only get tickets but also get good seats...and it wasn't nearly full in the theater.

Now I'm NOT GOING TO PUT IN ANY SPOILERS HERE, but I will say that the plot made sense, it seemed like it could be a turning point in the characters' lives, and left them in a different place than they began. Those are the criteria I usually apply to movies in a series, or movies based on TV Shows. BUT in the end the plot just wasn't big enough to justify the big screen, as Jules said. It could've very easily been a made-for-tv movie, and probably would have done quite well in that context.

The other problem is that...well no spoilers...but let's just say Mulder and Scully never really function as Mulder and Scully did in the tv show...they're consultants, not agents, and of course that changes the entire dynamic.

And I will say one more thing. I've only fallen asleep during a movie twice in my life. The first time was during Indiana Jones and the whatever-the-heck-that-crap-was a few months ago (did anyone else feel like that ruined the entire franchise? and I used to LOOOOVE Indiana Jones movies), but I chalked that up to exhaustion - I hadn't slept for two days and hadn't had anything to eat or drink except beer. And then the second movie I fell asleep during was this one. And that was in the middle of the day on a Saturday after a good night's sleep on Friday night. Granted, it wasn't long...there was a 15-minute scene somewhere toward the middle with Mulder and Scully having a conversation that had nothing to do with anything and didn't add any plot points, and I just couldn't take it anymore! I woke up a few minutes later though, and I don't think I missed a thing.

Just my two cents.

#6 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

Wow, this is disappointing news. I am an X-files fan and was excited to see a new movie. I had a feeling it wasn't going to very good as a movie. The previews just left a dull taste in my mouth. I will still see it, but on DVD. Thanks for the reviews.

#7 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:01 AM

^^^Well if we've prevented you from wasting your money then it's all to the good! wink.gif I think the verdict is pretty much unanimous: this is one for a Saturday night when you've no parties to go to or your mates are all out of town. My recommendation? A DVD that would watch well with the take-out meal of your choice and a couple of bottles of beer, or a nice Australian red!

I think our local Odeon had already rumbled the movie's appeal index and it was only being shown on one screen ~ the smallest in the multiplex.

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:15 AM

Here, in the next town over, they run movies that have already been in the main theaters, for $2 dollars. They also reduce the price of the popcorn and drinks greatly. I might catch it there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users