StraTrek.com pretty much dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

Well from the main page it looks like the Star Trek webpage as we know is officially dead. The team has been laid off (or sent elsewhere) and no word on what is going to happen for the site. I didnt very much visit it for the news but the extensive archive of episodes, characters, and facts. I hope they leave up those resources. I know Memory-alpha.org is good but I just liked having the "official" site to go to for confirmation. Who knows maybe this will lead to something new and better......

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

When I think about it it makes me wonder if it's good or bad. With the new movie coming out at some point this seems a bad time to drop the website? Maybe something new and better will come along? I wonder.

#3 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

I would have to think they dropped the website in order to make it more movie friendly site that basically promotes the film. I think just dropping the site alltogether is a pretty stupid idea. Im pretty sure they will relaunch something new but the question is how much Trek content will be on there. I also think you are alienating a group of hardcore fans worried about where Trek is going by elimiating something that screams continuity and focuses on traditional Trek. It should be interesting to see what happens and whatever that is it is sure to create an uproar.

#4 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

It would appear that Scrooge is alive and well. Firing people 10 days before Christmas? How cold is that. A big thumbs down to you, CBS.

#5 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'm with ^ and ^^. In my mind this does NOT bode well. I wonder if "The Trek Life" will continue on somewhere else or if it is officially dead now too?

I also have to wonder if it's a coincidence that there was a Star Trek themed day at the writers strike last week? Could this be a retaliation? I know this sounds a little "conspiracy theory" esque...but with the behavior of some of the higher ups at the studio, I can't honestly say that I would put it past them.

#6 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hmm...they added this statement:

Keep the conversation going on StarTrek.com boards

CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online.

CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site.

It has been your support and contributions to the lore of Star Trek that are what make StarTrek.com a vibrant place to be. To that end, we encourage you to keep the conversation alive and flowing using our message boards.

Jump into the conversation here!

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Wow. this comes as a surprise to me!

And I echo the sentiment that it was always good to have an "official" site to go to.

I'm kinda bummed sad.gif

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

Ok... color me confused... I just went to startre.com and it seems like everything is there??

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

The web crew was either laid off or put into other divisions. There wont be any more updates or big articles conducted by the site. Hopefully they leave the site up but I could see that changing any day as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users