Star Trek TOS HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

Disks: 10 (box)
Format: HD-DVD Combo (double sided w/ HD-DVD on one and standard DVD on other)
Sug. price: $217.99
Release Date: November 20, 2007
HD Features (include)

a "Starfleet Access

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Aug 1 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disks: 10 (box)
Format: HD-DVD Combo (double sided w/ HD-DVD on one and standard DVD on other)
Sug. price: $217.99
Release Date: November 20, 2007
HD Features (include)

a "Starfleet Access

#3 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 2 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this for all three seasons or is this 217 bucks for each season? 10 disks seem like a lot for only one season unless there is a ton of special features.

This is just for season 1. According to TV SHOWS ON DVD the discs will be double sided (one side normal DVD, the other HD DVD) and there will be a truckload of special features depending on what format you are watching. It is very dear for just one season, particularly if the aim of the new film and the remastering of the Original episodes is to attract new fans. "Welcome to the franchise new fans...now give us ALL your money." You can read more at the page I linked to.

#4 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

I just want to say that that price isn't really that bad...there's been a lot of flaming on other boards about it, but if you look at the prices for HD-DVDs, it's right in line with everything else, especially considering that the HD-DVD/DVD combo disks are more expensive anyway...I bought The Departed and 300 on HD-DVD yesterday on the combo disks, they were $34.99 EACH, just for ONE disk. This is TEN.

Plus, you have to remember that this CGI facelift is costing CBS-D a LOT of money, and I'm sure they're not getting all of that back in syndication at this point. That's gotta be part of the high price as well. Yes, Smallville and Heroes are being released on HD-DVD for a lot less per season, but they're not in the combo format and they don't have revamped CGI.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

I think i will wait two or three years and see if they come down in price. I paid a lot less for all three seasons than they are selling one season for, but i realize that lots of new special features and new cgi are attractive and i wouldnt mind having them, but i cant see paying that much for one season right now.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

I have to agree VF, These also have the original versions... which I have, and you need a new disk player to play them... and the format wars are no where near over. I'll just enjoy the re-runs on TV for awhile and my TOS set.

Really if I'm going o re-purchase them, I just want the re-mastered versions and extra features.

#7 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Yep, let me third that for you VF wink.gif While I could just get a HD Drive for my 360 I'm going to wait and see who wins this war. I'm not thoroughly convinced that anyone should at this point though unsure.gif Now we can have all the experts of this format come on and give us their pros on why this is a good thing smile.gif

#8 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Aug 27 2007, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, let me third that for you VF wink.gif While I could just get a HD Drive for my 360 I'm going to wait and see who wins this war. I'm not thoroughly convinced that anyone should at this point though unsure.gif Now we can have all the experts of this format come on and give us their pros on why this is a good thing smile.gif

I'm no expert, but, as with all things, there are both pros and cons on both formats.

Blu-ray has a higher storage space capacity. HD-DVD lovers will tell you that that's not true, that new multi-layer HD-DVD discs are coming out that match the storage of the Blu-rays; that's all well and good, but multi-layer Blu-rays increase that capacity fivefold. Compare apples to apples, not to oranges, I'd say.

Blu-ray also has more support from movie companies at the moment, and since they're by Sony, James Bond movies will never be on HD-DVD (which is a major seller, btw) - at least until Blu-ray tanks, if it does.

The major drawbacks for Blu-ray? There's two. One is price - the cheapest Blu-ray player is much more expensive than the normal HD-DVD player. Of course, buying a PS3 subsidizes that price dramatically, since you also get the gaming console. Remember that the PS2 brought DVDs into the homes of millions - if PS3 succeeds (which is still not certain yet, they have no good games at this point and sales are bad), then Blu-ray probably will too.

The second is lack of interactivity. Blu-ray software hasn't been written to allow for picture in picture features on discs, for one. It's really an unfinished format. The 300 Blu-ray lost one of it's main features - a side-by-side comparison of the movie before and after special effects were added.

As for HD-DVD? Well, it's the opposite. There's less storage space, but they're cheaper. In fact, if you have an xbox 360, like I do, you can get the add-on for $179. That's not bad.

The format war's not over, not by a long shot. But if you have an HDTV, you owe it to yourself to at least borrow a player from a friend, if you have one that has one. I can't watch regular DVDs anymore, they look like crap by comparison. Oh, and I've seen Trek remastered in HD as a download from xbox live, and it is beautiful. Just beautiful.

#9 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE(thecapn @ Aug 28 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no expert, but, as with all things, there are both pros and cons on both formats.

The format war's not over, not by a long shot.

But it soon will be I think. It won't be long untill a two bit manufacturer in an attempt to be part of the big league will make a player that is compatible with both formats.

It happened to the DVD writers (DVD-R and DVD+R, remember) and it will happen again with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

But untill they do, I won't be buying.

#10 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hey guys, if you want to see what all will come on the HD DVD collection, check out the short promo on Star Trek.com

The "In Depth tour of the Enterprise" is actually a 3D Interactive Enterprise Tour where viewers can explore the ship's interior and exterior while piloting a shuttlecraft. It seems really neat and to me, not a huge fan of TOS, this actually gave me goosebumps. I'm sure the hype is going to prove to be bigger than the actual product, but I still think it would be worth a look at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users