Looks like Season 4 is a go!

https://variety.com/...2CzT4LaLonDlBj0

#902 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:58 PM

Didn't Season 3 just fire off this week? anyone have some feedback on S3EP1?

#903 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:21 PM

They actually announced Season 4 had begun production weeks ago. Here's a review of this season's first episode:

https://www.nbcnews....lly-ncna1243616

#904 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

Thats actually a pretty positive review IMO... suggesting that they finally put out DISCOs dumpster fire! 

I look forward to watching the Season DVD for free when my public library gets it.

#905 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:11 PM

Just watched the season 3 episode. I loved it. The story was pretty tight and the new actor David Ajala is wonderful. He made a big impact on me when he was a guest actor on a show I work on. The visual FX also felt like they got an upgrade. Really eager to see where this is headed. They should have started post Nemesis to begin with.

#906 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Even though it doesn't have Pike, so far I think season 3 is off to a really strong start. Maybe it's finally grown the beard?

#907 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:55 AM

I always think it's funny that people gave almost every other Star Trek series almost 50 episodes to find its footing but with Discovery, it's dismissed by "fans" after the first few hours, if that. For a Trek show that's performed this well after only 29 episodes, Discovery seems to be ahead of the curve.

The third episode was solid Star Trek. The ideals and mission statement of Starfleet and the UFP were front and center. We even got an interesting new crew member. Thank goodness for Sphere data!

#908 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:40 AM

It's insane how different this season feels, it is an entirely new show. 

Even Michael's character is so different than what we've seen in past seasons. She seems way more likeable than before. 

I love this time period, and the idea behind this season. The Burn is also a very interesting idea that I'm curious where they go with. 

Saru seems to be one of the most Starfleet characters we've ever gotten, even from the beginning. I could see him becoming people's favorite captain. 

#909 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:50 AM

Saru feels like a good mix of Spock and Odo.

#910 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

This last episode will probably land in a lot of Top Ten lists of the best of Star Trek, including my own. I wish the final season of Voyager could have been handled half as well as this single episode of Discovery. I'm glad to see the writers exploring the emotional baggage that the crew is dealing with.

#911 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:29 AM

Toys and collectibles are going to have a fun time with the nacelles on the 1031-A.

#912 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

Clear plastic will be easy enough I think.

#913 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:39 AM

If only there was a toy licensee willing to manufacture toys. And a market to support those toys. We'd be on our second USS Discovery by now.

There are also some pretty toy-tastic characters and concepts this season, from Book's ship to the worker drones shown in the intro.

Damn, I miss Star Trek Minimates.

#914 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:32 AM

I enjoyed and understand the hype for Unification, Part III.  However I found it a little questionable that EIGHT HUNDRED years later, anybody would still really remember Spock or care about (let alone truly understand) his ideals all that much.  Actually that's very, highly questionable.  We are only a quarter of that age as a nation in the US and we have already grown very distant from knowing the true thoughts and intents of our founding fathers.  Now imagine another 550 years passing.  Nobody will even remember Trump by then.  I mean I guess Vulcans live longer but EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS people.  Kinda lazy if you ask me, to make Burnham some kind of silver bullet just because of that connection.

#915 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:02 PM

If the Founding Fathers of the United States had had Twitter, their intentions might not be in doubt so often. ;)

My point being that Ni'Var's historical record between the 23rd and 32nd centuries is probably more detailed than Earth's between the 18th and 21st centuries.

#916 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:54 AM

Meh...there's more to my rejection of the premise than theoretical access to information. That's 800 years for other more critical events and individuals to occur and supersede the need to remember some minor Spock driven events that far in the past.

Not to mention...
Burnham is human...Spock covered up all relation to her apparently...why would they even believe her that she was his sister? That's kinda nuts isn't it?

#917 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:50 AM

People are still talking about the influence of Muhammad, Newton, Christ, Buddha and Confucius here on Earth without the benefit of such a robust historical record. They've been gone thousands of years.

In the very distant future I imagine it's not difficult to run a genetic scan to verify someone's identity, especially someone whose biological data was archived by Starfleet and the Federation.

Spock had a nutty, estranged brother, too. His family history continues to be revealed. Michael is far more interesting to me than Sybok or T'Pring.

#918 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:15 PM

Meh...there's more to my rejection of the premise than theoretical access to information. That's 800 years for other more critical events and individuals to occur and supersede the need to remember some minor Spock driven events that far in the past.

Not to mention...
Burnham is human...Spock covered up all relation to her apparently...why would they even believe her that she was his sister? That's kinda nuts isn't it?

Were talking about Vulcans who can live a couple hundred years, 800 wouldnt be nearly as long for them as it would be for a human.

#919 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:37 AM

Were talking about Vulcans who can live a couple hundred years, 800 wouldnt be nearly as long for them as it would be for a human.

Vulcans were living a couple hundred years in the 23rd century. They might be living even longer in the 32nd century. Either way, the Burn™ doesn't seem to have affected the historical record.

And there's no evidence that Spock actively hid his relationship to Michael any more than he did his relationship to Sybok. Spock's a pretty big player. I imagine there's even a Broadway musical about his contributions to unification.

#920 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

You guys...sometimes you have to stop and think for a moment and stop defending Star Trek all the time.

Are you telling me that now, even just ~250 years later, if someone appeared from the past claiming to be Alexander Hamilton's sister (which by the way, how did any of them even verify this stuff if he kept her secret and there's no blood relation), we would give two s#its what they had to say about current events?  Now make that 800 years.  Things change at a rapid pace.  Sister Hamilton wouldn't even have a grasp of today's context for a myriad of reasons.  No understanding of technology, which is a huge factor in current events, to name one.  No understanding of current events or history since then either.  Not even clear understanding of our language and colloquialisms anymore.  But you are telling me that a bunch of factions would sit down and give ear to her?  They wouldn't understand what she was saying, either!

Which really also brings up the fact that it's laughable that somehow Burnham (yeah, she had a year to study up, still, as much of a 'genius' as she is, that ain't enough time to catch up on 800 years of scientific, cultural, and political development GALAXY-WIDE) and the other crew of Discovery (who have had, what, a few weeks?) are able to function as effectively as they are?

Actually shouldn't we also be questioning why dilithium still matters more than we are?  800 YEARS PEOPLE!

Lol...

I am enjoying the show, but let's admit when some things are stupid and contrived, can we?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users