• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

Did anyone see the article on the Defiant over at startrek.com?

http://www.startrek....ing-the-defiant

It didn't have any info that us crazed…er, I mean us enthusiastic Defiant afficianados didn't all ready know except the part concerning its appearance in First Contact:

The Defiant was “digitalized” for Star Trek: First Contact by Vision Art and rendered by Industrial Light & Magic.

I had assumed it was the physical filming model that was made to look damaged with some digital damage superimposed.  If it was completely CGI it is a shame that model was not converted and given over to DS9.  It looked damn fine to me.

Maybe this article was in error?  Any insights?  (looking at you Jay K  ;) )

#2 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

Haha, thanks man! :)

Regards the ILM version, I know as much as anyone. That is to say, I've absolutely no idea why they didn't use it. If I had to guess, it might have been something to do with the resolution of the model, as I remember reading that the Akira had to be redone a bit before it could be used on Deep Space Nine (might be confused here, so don't hold me to that). But yeah, I'd love to know why it was never used. I've seen some really technically-minded people say that the ILM version isn't completely accurate, but to my eye, the shape looks bang-on - curvy, chunky-looking and wide nose - and that's all I care about really. lol

This is all the info I know regarding CG Defiant models (click to read):

Spoiler

#3 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

What do you mean,they don't know it? A lot of people do actually know that,lol! The Defiant is ok,a nice little ship. Still reminds me of a toilet seat though,LOL!

J-R!

#4 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

What do you mean,they don't know it? A lot of people do actually know that,lol! The Defiant is ok,a nice little ship. Still reminds me of a toilet seat though,LOL!

J-R!

WATCH IT WITH YOUR BLASPHEMING ROB... :angry:

MY%20TATTOO_zpselkb5ud1.jpg

THE FINEST SHIP IN THE FLEET

#5 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Oh I don't blaspheme,just sticking to facts,LOL! I know a lot of you LOVE that little ship though,that's cute,lol. :D

J-R!

#6 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

I will put that "little ship" up against any ship in the fleet or allies.

#7 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

LOL! Cool tat btw! My Trek tat is kinda boring,been meaning to update it.

And yes,I do love my Playmates Defiant,lol! Even the one from Hallmark is pretty neat.

J-R!

#8 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

LOL! Cool tat btw! My Trek tat is kinda boring,been meaning to update it.

And yes,I do love my Playmates Defiant,lol! Even the one from Hallmark is pretty neat.

J-R!

thank you. i need a touch up on her i have had it for some time now.

i just love that ship bad @$$ looking has the power and a c.d. any day any ship i think she will win. i think in my op. the only ship that can keep up with her is Prometheus not that Prometheus would win in a fight but she can keep up..

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

thank you. i need a touch up on her i have had it for some time now.

i just love that ship bad @$$ looking has the power and a c.d. any day any ship i think she will win. i think in my op. the only ship that can keep up with her is Prometheus not that Prometheus would win in a fight but she can keep up..

Now now, lets not say anything to crazy here. The Defiant is a tough little ship, but Prometheus would mop the floor with it in a fight. We saw Prometheus take fire from what, 2 Defiant Class ships, an Akira and a couple Romulan Warbirds, and barely took any damage. Not to mention it took down a Warbird in a couple shots. Defiant might put up a fight, but it is outclassed by Prometheus. 

#10 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

Haha, thanks man! :)

Regards the ILM version, I know as much as anyone. That is to say, I've absolutely no idea why they didn't use it. If I had to guess, it might have been something to do with the resolution of the model, as I remember reading that the Akira had to be redone a bit before it could be used on Deep Space Nine (might be confused here, so don't hold me to that). But yeah, I'd love to know why it was never used. I've seen some really technically-minded people say that the ILM version isn't completely accurate, but to my eye, the shape looks bang-on - curvy, chunky-looking and wide nose - and that's all I care about really. lol

This is all the info I know regarding CG Defiant models (click to read):

Spoiler

Thanks for the in-depth reply.  Yeah those are the CGI models I know of also.  The resolution of the one used in the credits sequence is a little low also.  If you notice the rim around the bridge it is not a smooth circle.  You can see what I would call blockiness.  This one was used in "Starship Down" and "Broken Link" yes?  I wish Star Trek: Legacy had used the season 7 model but it was another version of the "Sacrifice of Angels"/AMT version.  Sigh.

Another random Defiant topic is the variation of the sound of the pulse phasers being fired.  I love the "correct" one as heard in that famous money shot in "The Die is Cast".

#11 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Absolutely agree dude, that's the one thing that irks me about her in First Contact. The original sound of them is definitely the best. :)

Speaking of games, I loved Legacy (good laugh to play), but I was gutted when I saw the Defiant as well. I had it on the 360, but I did see a video of the PC version in which someone had put a better Defiant in through mods, and it looked amazing. Same guy also had the Prometheus, and the Dominion/Cardassians. I can't find the video now, but to say I was envious is an understatement. lol :)

Robster, in regards to my 'lot of people don't know' line, it wasn't meant to be a brag/insult, just more of a 'it doesn't immediately spring to mind' - which describes it perfectly in terms of my poor memory skills. lol

#12 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

No worries mate,I'm not easily insulted,lol. Disappointed maybe,but not insulted. LOL! What I find totally hysterical though,is when people watching a movie and some know it all wanker says,oh that is so obviously cgi,and it isn't,LOL! Cracks me up every time,and it's great fun telling them they're WRONG! lol! I remember seeing ST FC with a bunch of morons in this country and someone behind me said,humour?,in Star Trek?,and I turned around and said,you obviously haven't seen much Trek. Reaction from the guy? Priceless!

And it really was great seeing Defiant on the big screen. Saw ST FC in London,first time around. Then here and there over the years.

J-R!

#13 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:24 PM

I'm late to this party, but I have a foggy recollection of hearing that the CGI model of the Defiant used in First Contact got screwed up in the conversion from ILM's software to Lightwave, so it didn't get ported over along with the Steamrunner, Sabre, and Akira classes. IIRC, the Norway class model was similarly screwed up and deemed lost.

I think there's a fleet-shot in some episode where the vertex order of the Steamrunner's saucer is clearly reversed (making it appear "inside out") - a common symptom of 3D model conversion woes!

#14 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

Random question, but I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

When they remastered TOS for bluray, they re-did all the effects shots - not sure if they remastered the old ones as well, but I'm just going off what I've seen Doug Drexler say: He hates it, and I have to agree with him - I dislike the updated shots. However, with TNG, they recreated them perfectly, minus some small corrections and updated planets. So we still had the 6 foot version of the Enterprise, mingled in with the 4 foot bulldog version.

In a dream scenario, what would you guys want with a DS9 remaster? Personally, I'd be fine with CBS Digital completely redoing a good chunk of them, using an accurate Defiant of course (Tobias Richter), whilst still roughly following TNG's guidelines. For example, the scene where the Defiant saves Dukat and the Detapa Council from the Klingons. That, I'd keep EXACTLY the same, just updated with better weapons and tractor beam effects. But the later battle scenes where there's dozens of ships on screen, but only the Defiant and a handful more are actually firing their weapons, usually right in the foreground? I'd be fine with them changing that to show the background ships slogging it out as well.
Also, the final battle at Cardassia - throw the Enterprise E in the background, and tone down the amount of duplicate Galaxy, Excelsior and Miranda class ships, and throw in some others such as the Ambassador class, and maybe even a few really cool fan designs (that 'Galaxy-fied' Sabre class for one).

Of course, that would never happen because it'd be way too expensive, but I'd love them to do that. Also, even if they just update the original scenes TNG bluray style, how cool would it be for them to make the ship and space scenes appear in 16:9? Keep the show 4:3 when actors are featured, but for any space-shots, I'd love to have that little bit extra on the sides. This would've been lovely for them to do with TNG as well. :)

#15 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:32 AM

I wasn't keen on the TOS remastered effects at first, but now I love them.  The nice thing about those BluRays is that you have the option to watch every episode with the original effects.  I really like the group of Klingon D7s in "Errand of Mercy" and the Romulan Bird of Prey thrown in for "The Enterprise Incident."

For DS9, I'd love it if it got the same treatment as TNG.  All the visual effects that were primarily done with real models should just be re-composited with updated weapons fire, shield hits, etc. CG.  I think the first episode they should do to really get consumers excited about the series in HD is "The Way of the Warrior."  It's in that mini-movie that the tone of the series shifts, Worf joins the crew, and Starfleet takes on the Klingons in two distinctive and AWESOME battle sequences.  I'm still amazed at all the motion control work done for that massive fleet, not to mention all the dough spent on each of the shots fired by the station.  I would love to know if there's an official count on how many torpedoes we saw firing on screen.

As you get to the later seasons where all the battles are CG I am all for entirely new sequences with more up to date models.  After seeing what CBS did with the Enterprise-D in "Unification" I have full confidence they would blow us away.  And amen to your comment about including other designs that were never digitized.  Show some love to the Ambassador, Negh'Var, Norway, Constellation, upgraded Excelsior, and Oberth classes.  Throw in more Nebula, Defiant, and Intrepid class.  And for heaven's sake, put some $%#^&%$ names on those ships!  Also a good idea not to use NCC-1701-D or NCC-1864 on any in the foreground (looking at you "Sacrifice of Angels").  If licensing issues can be resolved, by all means throw in the Enterprise-E where appropriate.  Heck, the Prometheus could also be seen in the last few battles.

Dang it Jay K, now you got me really wanting to see all this happen.  I'm still hoping that someone will make a decent video game where I can fly the Defiant up against Jem'Hadar and Cardassian ships.  You mentioned the pretty good Legacy mod but that's well above my pay grade.  What a shame Dominion ships were no where to be found in the game proper.

I could talk DS9 all day. 

#16 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

Haha, same here man! I completely agree with you regarding Way of the Warrior being the first one to get the HD treatment (and for none of its scenes to be altered other than new effects, etc). As good as later episodes are, this one will always be my favourite as so much of it is perfect. Story, action, acting, and just how insane it was at the time that they brought Worf in, and it didn't feel awkward or cheesy - but was in fact, perfect. I remember watching it with my friend at the time (we were ten), and it was probably the first tv show or film to get locked in my brain as in, it was all I could think about. :D

Big post about Trek games.

Spoiler

#17 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

The Excalibur dev-team comes mainly from the Star Trek: Bridge Commander community

This video shows what an amazing game heavily-modded BC became:

I had to laugh when that first Warbird the player destroyed took out the other two in a chain reaction with its shockwave!

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

God I miss BC, was such a great game... wish I still had the disc. 

#19 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Well, nobody's selling the game anymore - and with the legal quagmire that Paramount/CBS' relationship with Activision became, nobody ever will again - so I think, since you already own the game, you'd be within your rights to download a "backup copy" that doesn't need the disc. I ended up needing to do that when my disc got scratched, that copy still works perfectly.

#20 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

I loved that game too.  The Excalibur stuff sounds promising.  I tried really hard to get a BC mod working but couldn't.  I need the book "Modding Bridge Commander for Dummies."  Then I need another book called "How to Understand 'Modding Bridge Commander for Dummies'".   :D   Also my main computer has been a Mac since 2007.  I guess if it ever becomes something I really want to setup I can hire some nice fellow Trekster in the LA area to make a house call.

In the meantime my Xbox360 keeps Legacy spinning a few times a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users