• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Soongprototype

Soongprototype

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

any news on this? I've been avoiding buying the dvds for some time. but since I never get to see tng I'm getting some withdrawls. laugh.gif

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

dst would have to offer an exclusive guinan figure for me to jump on board if they did offer them

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

I have wondering about the TAS,TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT making it to BluRay ever since i started buying TOS on BluRay. If they released them on a schedule like TOS, it will take 10 years to ever get them all. Paramount may be watching the sales of TOS and all of the movie sets to guage whether or not they can make decent sales of the other series. I am game for all of them on BluRay, but i hope they can release them in a timely manner, and with a decent price. Back when the DVDs first came out and the prices were more than $100 at the cheapest stores, i think some people were turned off by Paramounts greed and think they probably lost some sales because of it. I have purchased them all since the prices dropped to between $35 -$55 for season sets of all of the series and i have seen TAS for $14.99 at walmart.

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the designs for the boxes and the list of extras are already on the drawing boards . If CBS/ Paramount is known for anything, it's milking every last drop they can out of their properties .

#5 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:56 AM

Problem is the quality. TNG, DS9 and VOY were mastered on video, not film, so they look like crap in HD. Take a look at the Trials and Tribble-ations episode on the TOS S2 disc. It looks awful. And that was after cleaning it up as best as they could.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (thecapn @ Oct 3 2009, 03:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem is the quality. TNG, DS9 and VOY were mastered on video, not film, so they look like crap in HD. Take a look at the Trials and Tribble-ations episode on the TOS S2 disc. It looks awful. And that was after cleaning it up as best as they could.

I think your right about that. It definitely doesnt look as good as the TOS episodes do on bluray. Even playing a VOY DVD in the bluray player with a HD tv doesnt make it look too good, so i wonder what will be done if they ever want to put these on BluRay. I dont know enough about the process they use to transfer a show into bluray to hardly comment on it.

#7 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

They did shoot all the shows on film, though. As long as they still have those negatives as well as the edit files from the original edits saved to disk or even just the timecodes written down somewhere, they can restransfer everything in HD quality and do a re-edit.

Of course, if it takes over a decade to get anything done, it will probably be too late as we will probably have moved on to the next format by then. Possibly all digital downloads rather than a physical disk. Even then, though, they would still need to do the retransfer for HD quality. So no matter what, I'm sure that process is being planned or talked about.

#8 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 3 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They did shoot all the shows on film, though. As long as they still have those negatives as well as the edit files from the original edits saved to disk or even just the timecodes written down somewhere, they can restransfer everything in HD quality and do a re-edit.

If I remember correctly, the special effects were put into the episodes after transfer to video, so all those shots with any kind of sfx will need those effects to be redone from scratch, and that might be too expensive compared to the expected returns of an HD set.... especially for VOY.

#9 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

I hope CBS digital will remaster TNG too - it's almost as classic as the original Trek now and it seems to me that because of the new movie a lot more people remember TNG now - certainly in the UK.

#10 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:36 AM

Wasn't Enterprise filmed in HD? I would think it would look pretty fancy on blu-ray and it's more than the likely the next one to come out if that's the case. I would love them to remaster and release TNG, DS9 and VOY on blu-ray too. smile.gif

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

I am not sure if Enterprise was filmed in HD, but it seems like it could have been. I wonder how successful the sales of the Enterprise DVD sets were? I own the sets but i balked at the $100 plus USD prices when they came out and waited until they in the $30's USD before i finnally caved in and bought them. I still havent watched the majority of the series though. If CBS gauges a Bluray Enterprise set on the success of the DVD sales, it may not happen.

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well Enterprise looked fantastic on my old HD Tv on HDNet the few times I watched. I havent been able to catch it on my new screen but I could only imagine. I think Enterprise might have been filmed digitally but Im not sure if HD was widespread at that time. I know for a fact it was filmed in widescreen. The transition to blu-ray would be a lot easier for Enterprise because of those as opposed to TNG that they may actually have to remaster like TOS to make it look passable on HD. I can remember some of those season 1 eps. looking pretty bad in my upconvert dvd player and I wouldnt even think about buying TNG on blu-ray unless they did a serious overhaul of the series.

#13 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 16 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Enterprise looked fantastic on my old HD Tv on HDNet the few times I watched. I havent been able to catch it on my new screen but I could only imagine. I think Enterprise might have been filmed digitally but Im not sure if HD was widespread at that time. I know for a fact it was filmed in widescreen. The transition to blu-ray would be a lot easier for Enterprise because of those as opposed to TNG that they may actually have to remaster like TOS to make it look passable on HD. I can remember some of those season 1 eps. looking pretty bad in my upconvert dvd player and I wouldnt even think about buying TNG on blu-ray unless they did a serious overhaul of the series.

Enterprise was filmed digitally and it looks fantastic presented in HD.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jan 16 2010, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still havent watched the majority of the series though. If CBS gauges a Bluray Enterprise set on the success of the DVD sales, it may not happen.

I love the 4th season of ENT. It was the only set I actually bought, but the other 3 seasons aren't bad the major problem (IMO) was that the whole "temporal war" really went no where and I thought the Xindi thing went on too long. But you should watch them!

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 16 2010, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The transition to blu-ray would be a lot easier for Enterprise because of those as opposed to TNG that they may actually have to remaster like TOS to make it look passable on HD. I can remember some of those season 1 eps. looking pretty bad in my upconvert dvd player and I wouldnt even think about buying TNG on blu-ray unless they did a serious overhaul of the series.

As I recall, in some interview with the team that re-mastered and re-did all the effects for TOS, They said that TNG, especially the 1st couple of seasons, would really benefit from the same type of treatment.

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Enterprise season 4 is the only season i have actually watched all the way through as far as i remember. I will get them out and watch them all sometime soon. I dont know if i would buy any of the other series on bluray right now. I have all three seasons of TOS on Bluray but i am like theHSBR in saying that TNG would need an overhaul to get the Bluray treatment and my purchase.

#16 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

I just did a search and season 4 was the only one filmed in HD...

This is from Memory Alpha - Enterprise was the first series to air in high definition. It was produced in 1080i with Sony HD cameras starting in Season 4; the first 3 seasons were filmed with traditional 35mm film cameras (which were then transfered to digital for broadcast).

And this is the article the above post references - http://www.startrek....ticle/6165.html

#17 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, that sounds right. I believe UPN made a deal about the digital filming at the time.

But the show was broadcast in HD before the 4th season. (In some markets.)

I recently watched some season 1 episodes on HDNet and they look great.

#18 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

Well, 35mm *IS* HD quality. It's film, just like TOS was shot, so the detail is there for HD quality, even if it's not digital. TNG, DS9, and VOY were all shot and mastered on videotape, which is nowhere NEAR HD quality. It even doesn't look that great on DVD.

#19 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (thecapn @ Jan 16 2010, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, 35mm *IS* HD quality. It's film, just like TOS was shot, so the detail is there for HD quality, even if it's not digital. TNG, DS9, and VOY were all shot and mastered on videotape, which is nowhere NEAR HD quality. It even doesn't look that great on DVD.

Right, digital filming isn't necessary for HD-quality broadcasts or Blu-Ray presentation. I've got a bunch of movies from decades ago on Blu-Ray and they look phenomenal.

What is important is that it looks like the effects in Enterprise were output at HD levels.

Which makes it so surprising that the TMP Director's Edition effects weren't!

#20 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

Well, with any luck, we'll eventually see a blu-ray release of Enterprise! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users