• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

I'm actually surprised that I'm in the minority on this one. Especially considering that Rand, Chapel and the Salt Vampire seem to be stagnating towards the release gate...possibly indefinitely. In a way I am glad that there are folks out there that are excited about this set, even if I am not one of them. Maybe Kirk and Spock won't just save the universe...they'll save the line from the recession.

That said...I still won't be buying these.

#22 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Okay I added it to the Ref site =) and here, I photoshopped the picture a little bit to give it a little more feel of what they might look like

#23 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Sep 22 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually surprised that I'm in the minority on this one.

I don't think you're in the minority.

Some of us just can't be bothered commenting anymore.

#24 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I was more than happy to preorder Kruge/Maltz, Sisko w/ defiant chair, Sisko/Dukat for the $25 preorder price. TVH Kirk/Spock, STII Kirk/Spock, and most of the others? Yes. Even Borg figures at $15 apiece.

This? Not so much.

#25 Dr. Crusher

Dr. Crusher

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

I can't blame DST for making what sells, but this is one I'll be skipping.

#26 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

So, why did they change the tunic on this one. It should have been this mould in the first place, but they were not anticipating anyone else besides the captains. Sulu and blue Spock will be different then these two, or all the previously released pilot figures. I don't think Spock is in the command division, did he not have another insignia??? I might be wrong.

#27 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Sep 22 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you're in the minority.

Some of us just can't be bothered commenting anymore.

I am upset about it. Yet I'll still buy it because I have a problem. sad.gif
If the line is dying out, I'd be mad if I missed any "tail-enders"... =p

#28 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

Meh , I'll skip this one . Bring us more Klingons .

#29 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Sep 22 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, why did they change the tunic on this one. It should have been this mould in the first place, but they were not anticipating anyone else besides the captains. Sulu and blue Spock will be different then these two, or all the previously released pilot figures. I don't think Spock is in the command division, did he not have another insignia??? I might be wrong.

Spock was indeed in command division in WNMHGB-

So this one is accurate...

Sallah

#30 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

So out of Kirk, Pike, Spock (Cage), Spock (WNMHGB) and Sulu, they have 3 out of 5 insignias right. Most likely the entire point of the 2-pack was to get into the majority of accuracy. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, if they ever make Scotty he'd surely reuse the command insignia tunic as well. Although, if they did just opt to make a new one it would be the perfect time, since the costuming department went funky for WNMHGB and gave Scotty the science insignia. So, if they made a science insignia tunic for a Scotty figure then it could be reused to make an accurate Cage Spock down the line.

#31 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

the neckline mold they use for wnmhgb is different than the cage so even if they switched the insignia for one, dst wouldnt use it for the other.

#32 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

I just looked at a close up shot of these over and TNI and it does appear that Spock's eyebrows have been changed and are now a little more upswept that previous releases but still not quite as bushy as Spocks were in that episode. I am glad DST made the effort anyway and didnt just throw a regular Spock head of that figure like Playmates did back in the day of their 30th anniversary 9" set.

#33 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

You mean like they did with Cage Spock? Both these figures should have had their hairline adjusted, but they were not about to fork out the money for a sculpt when they could paint them to look a bit younger. When they started the chair figures, they obviously did not intend for more figures to be made, or they would not have sculpted the insignia, which remained for Cage Spock, and WNMHGB Sulu too. If they pictures are correct, with the WNMHGB figures having painted on insignia, there might be a chance of future releases. Otherwise, why use the same mould, which they could in this case, as they are both the same division.
I am going to get them, well with an American friend I expect, so I dont have to make my own WNMHGB Spock. Like I did with Cage Spock.

#34 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Meh.

Why don't they do something outside the box and produce a wave of the original crew from The Cage? I'd buy that. This is just one figure I already own with most of a figure I already own with a different head...that I already own.

Emporer's new clothes anyone?

#35 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Oct 7 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh.

Why don't they do something outside the box and produce a wave of the original crew from The Cage? I'd buy that. This is just one figure I already own with most of a figure I already own with a different head...that I already own.

Emporer's new clothes anyone?

Here's an idea, why don't they do something that is new, original and exciting rather than just a uniform change - they wonder why these figures don't sell, the reason is simple in my mind. Where as the ships sell because they look cool and are all unique (even the variants), the figures suffer from being very generic. I mean take these two - they use the same body, rubber shirt and hands - why not make them a little cooler by giving them new bodies, new facial expressions and actually take their inspiration for the sculpt and paint directly from the episodes on DVD.

and most of all, why not take some risks, they have them in TRU now, PM are doing classic trek again - their excuse for these not selling well can only be blamed on DST themselves for not making them good enough for people to want to buy. i miss the days when AA were bringing us Star Trek figures at the fore front of cutting edge design using cool materials, people who knew how to use tones and a basic understanding of paint application and real scan - surely the tech exists for them to take an image off a DVD and create a 3D model - even if it's just someone skilled at sculpting.

this two pack is just another example of how lazy DST are.

#36 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

The ST TVH set was a good example of what DST can do, both figures were almost completely new, except maybe Kirks head and hands. I think they probably sold well too, at least i imagine they did. I dont begrudge DST trying to get more bang for their buck by reusing body parts like they are doing with this new set of WNMHGB Kirk and Spock. They are a coompany that needs to make as much money as they can like any other company. My big beef is quality issues. Quality issues like the Data legs from TNG wave 3 and some of the female hunched over figures gall me to no end. Make whatever figures you want to from whatever left over parts you have, just make them QUALITY figures.

#37 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

My issue with DST's Star Trek figures began with the Data and Laforge wave, it seemed quality just took a nose dive, there have been some great figures like the Worf and Gowron figure, Martock, Odo, Amok Time Kirk and Spock, TVH Spock and Kirk, WoK Khan figure, and the recently canceled Dukat figure, plus the borg figures. But i dunno, i hate the reused bodies and the same bodies being used for countless characters. DST should put an amazing amount of detail into each figure, have them painted just as well as NECA and Art Asylum painted/paints their figures and gave them a uniqueness like different facial expressions or different poses, unique qualities that they give each of their ships with the lights on feature and the sounds as well as the interesting variants then i wouldn't mind seeing like only 2 or 3 figures a year or something like that. I'd rather have quality over quantity these days.

I think especially TOS and TNG - figures would sell as well with fans and general geeks as the ships do if they just limited their quantities and selections to 2 or 3 characters that came with a diorama base and was posable in different ways and was painted and sculpted directly from high class suclptors and painters watching the DVD's like AA did in the old days with their TOS figures.

they've obviously got to think of a better way to do Trek figures, since all the new figures like the Borg Wave, DS9, TOS 5 are all on a knife edge between the shelf and the DST abyss - which seems to be full of Trek product no company wanted to buy into.

#38 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Oct 7 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hate the reused bodies and the same bodies being used for countless characters. DST should put an amazing amount of detail into each figure, have them painted just as well as NECA and Art Asylum painted/paints their figures and gave them a uniqueness like different facial expressions or different poses, unique qualities that they give each of their ships with the lights on feature and the sounds as well as the interesting variants then i wouldn't mind seeing like only 2 or 3 figures a year or something like that. I'd rather have quality over quantity these days.

As a collector, I might like to see the type of quality you're referring to, but in reality, I don't think it's very realistic. If they were only producing a few figures a year, there'd be post after post on this forum complaining about how they never get any product out, and how much more they could sell if they just make more figures. They really aren't going to win either way with the fanbase, and the reason why retailers are so tepid about buying product is because past sales have been so anemic. You might get a few more people who are holding out on collecting the line because they are unsatisfied with the current quality level, but really, that uptick will likely be VERY small, and not worth the increased expense of making every figure truly unique.

That's all just so much speculation though. Perhaps I'm just blind, but I think DST knows what they're doing, otherwise, they'd have gone out of business a LONG time ago.

#39 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:30 AM

Well, competition is supposed to force companies to make better product at a lower cost right? DST/AA has that competition from Playmates, and IMHO the DST product, even rehashed product, is better then anything I've seen playmates do with the 2009 Movie product. If you go to any generic Toy collector site, no one is clamoring for much of any Star Trek Product (DST or Playmates) and most of the honest and impartial reviews by non-trek fans have basically agreed that the Playmates movie products (both Trek and Terminator) are a flop.

We've had all these discussions before... the most popular toy line out there right now is probably the DCUC... and they heavily re-use body parts! Almost every toy line is forced to... and I really don't mind that most Trek characters reuse parts as they are all wearing uniforms that typically look the same. The one thing I do agree they could do to make a better impact and give us (the consumer) more bang for the buck is to get some of the paint applications more accurate, or to re-do or add new paint operations, and I think VF is on target about the Spock eyebrows.

#40 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

I bought the Playmates 6" Nero and have left it MOC because I cannot raise the excitement to unwrap it. I have to say that this toy line is far inferior to the DST line as it is now, let alone as it was when it was soley an AA line and was as cutting edge in figure art as it could be.

I see everybody's POV here, but I can't support this set because it really isn't worth the effort in buying stuff I have already, or could actually make from stuff I have at home. What would I be gaining for my spondoolies? Let alone the fact that bits fall of figures so easily that it would take no effort to swap parts around if I needed a version of this Kirk to ***cough** play with!

Forgive me because I simply cannot get excited about this set.

Don't get me started on hunched-over female figures! The DST Jadza Dax looks like she went on a hen night because she cannot stand up. What is it about those female figures (and let's not forget Barclay) who look like they're about to buckle at the knees! I understand the economics behind reusing body parts and all, but when the resulting figures are unbalanced or look strange, then I can't support the excessive use of them in this line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users