Photo

Am I missing something here? (AGT Picard)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

Could be that they had so many of these AGT Picards left when Toyrocket couldnt give them away that this is a scheme to sell them out, act like its a rerelease.

#42 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, someone else mentioned it and frankly that makes the most sense.

#43 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Maybe they are trying to tie it into the Enterprise-D from AGT and move some of the product they didn't sell before?

#44 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

If we are lucky toyrocket is going out of business and DST still wanted these on the market. They should do an AGT Troi and Yar...that would make me happy!!

#45 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jun 15 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting.

Even if it is a new head sculpt...what an odd figure to release again.

The promo image seems the same as the original:

The head is exactly the same as the original.

The Picard wave heads appear to have the same sculpt as the season one (with command chair) version, except the width of the later head is greater. The paint job is a lot better on the season 1 figure with the eyes shaped much closer to Picard's. I've swapped the head onto my series 7 body because it is so much better than the wave version, but close inspection makes me think it's taken from the same original sculpt. It's almost as if the head on series 1 was created from a copy of the master sculpt that shrank internally, pulling the sides in.

#46 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Malcolm Orr @ Jun 20 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The head is exactly the same as the original.

The Picard wave heads appear to have the same sculpt as the season one (with command chair) version, except the width of the later head is greater. The paint job is a lot better on the season 1 figure with the eyes shaped much closer to Picard's. I've swapped the head onto my series 7 body because it is so much better than the wave version, but close inspection makes me think it's taken from the same original sculpt. It's almost as if the head on series 1 was created from a copy of the master sculpt that shrank internally, pulling the sides in.

They might have just used different plastic, which would have shrunk differently. They've switched factories since the Picard/Troi wave, and the price of plastic has gone up as well, so it's likely the type of plastic used is different. They probably payed more attention to paint apps for the 1st season Picard as well, which makes a huge world of difference.

#47 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

This kind of discussion drives me nuts. I wasn't going to bring it up again because nobody believed me even when I went as far as displaying two pictures side by side close-up that proved my point, but now I've got to say it again, there is NO WAY Season 1 Command Chair Picard has the same face sculpt as the other Picards!

I have Captain's Jacket Picard, First Contact Picard, and Season 1 Command Chair Picard and I'm telling you the chair Picard is 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt different from the others facially! It cannot possibly be the same other than paint! Hold the two figures up to your eyes (or someone else's) side by side and see for yourself! You'd have to be blind not to see the difference!

And it even says on the Command Chair Picard's box that it's a brand new sculpt! I wish I hadn't thrown out the box so I could take a close-up picture of that and show you. It was a new sculpt made specifically because the figure is a specialty 20th anniversary collector's item! ARGH! RANT OVER. angry.gif

#48 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

Sorry it bugs you. There's nothing wrong with believing they are different if that makes it less disturbing for you.

I have them all and have looked in detail at them and all of mine have exactly the same head sculpt.

Oh.... and I'm not blind.

One thing I have found though, DST does cut duplicate molds from the same sculpt. This is why the legs on the TNG Data are all screwy, but Sisko, which uses the same sculpt, are ok. I have no doubt that they could have cut a new mold using the the same sculpt, in which case some of the details appear to be just slightly different. But, to me, these are the same sculpt.

#49 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

I took my Season 7 Picard and Season 1 Picard down and got my magnifying glass to make a decision about this issue. I am inclined to go with Gothneo on this, is looks to me to be the same sculpt, with painted eyebrows and eye paint slightly different.

#50 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jun 21 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This kind of discussion drives me nuts. I wasn't going to bring it up again because nobody believed me even when I went as far as displaying two pictures side by side close-up that proved my point, but now I've got to say it again, there is NO WAY Season 1 Command Chair Picard has the same face sculpt as the other Picards!

Hey buddy, I believe, but would love to see the side-by-side closeup pix. Can you post again?

#51 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jun 21 2009, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have Captain's Jacket Picard, First Contact Picard, and Season 1 Command Chair Picard and I'm telling you the chair Picard is 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt different from the others facially! It cannot possibly be the same other than paint! Hold the two figures up to your eyes (or someone else's) side by side and see for yourself! You'd have to be blind not to see the difference!

And it even says on the Command Chair Picard's box that it's a brand new sculpt! I wish I hadn't thrown out the box so I could take a close-up picture of that and show you. It was a new sculpt made specifically because the figure is a specialty 20th anniversary collector's item! ARGH! RANT OVER. angry.gif

Both heads were taken from the same master sculpt. As I said above, which was corrected with more factual information, the difference is differing shrinkage of the heads, either through plastic or whatever. It's unlikely that DST would commission a resulpt purely for the season 1 figure.

My command chair Shatner is a far better likeness than the other Kirks, but purely due to the different paint job.

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

BTW... here's a snappy of the what the package says...

It only says it has the Exclusive S1 Picard, that is sculpted by AA.

#53 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hmmm...I guess that box isn't as descriptive as I remembered. I think that because they refer to it as an "exclusive Season 1 Picard action figure" and the words immediately after are "sculpted by Art Asylum", I assumed that this means "exclusive sculpt", but that's obviously debatable. But I still stand by my assertion that these two figures have different facial sculpts. I just can't deny the fact that when I look at both of them, the season 1 version strongly resembles Patrick Stewart, while the other one looks more like a generic bald guy. smile.gif

I debated which figure to buy since I'm so picky about face sculpts and couldn't tell from pictures which one was more accurate, but once I'd actually purchased both of them, the season 1 version was clearly superior in my eyes.

If nothing else, the season 1 version definitely has a bigger head and for whatever reason, eyes that look completely different (and more like Patrick Stewart's, in my opinion). There's also the fact that apparently some "Tapestry Picard" figures (as reported by a member of this site) were delivered with the season 1 Picard head. Now why would AA/DST bother replacing the original Tapestry Picard head (which was the same as Season 7 Picard, Captain's Jacket Picard, etc.) with the season 1 head if they didn't think doing so was improving it with a more recent/accurate sculpt? And I didn't mean to insult anyone...I just find it a little maddening that no one seems to agree with me on this when I was so sure of it after I bought multiple Picard figures. sad.gif

#54 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jun 21 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I have found though, DST does cut duplicate molds from the same sculpt. This is why the legs on the TNG Data are all screwy, but Sisko, which uses the same sculpt, are ok.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I'm not much of a customizer, but if there's an easy way to give Data proper legs, I'd like to know. I imagine it's a little more complicated than the boil and pop method people use to replace heads/hands in their customizing?

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

I don't think anyone is insulted.

But I have them all. I pulled them all out and looked closely at them when someone brought up the tapestry running change... I came to the same conclusion then as now. They are the same sculpt.

Toybiz was good for using the same sculpts with different hair pieces on some of the ML ladies. I remember people arguing about the two Black widow sculpts. They really looked different. Especially because the have different hair, but they are the same sculpt. Just like those are the same. (Sculpt that is... clearly the paint is different).

BTW, I love the way the Nemesis Bev looks, but she looks terrible on the original release! Exact same sculpt. Better paint. Paint apps & opps are important, and you've shown why!

#56 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jun 21 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm...I guess that box isn't as descriptive as I remembered. I think that because they refer to it as an "exclusive Season 1 Picard action figure" and the words immediately after are "sculpted by Art Asylum", I assumed that this means "exclusive sculpt", but that's obviously debatable. But I still stand by my assertion that these two figures have different facial sculpts. I just can't deny the fact that when I look at both of them, the season 1 version strongly resembles Patrick Stewart, while the other one looks more like a generic bald guy. smile.gif

I debated which figure to buy since I'm so picky about face sculpts and couldn't tell from pictures which one was more accurate, but once I'd actually purchased both of them, the season 1 version was clearly superior in my eyes.

If nothing else, the season 1 version definitely has a bigger head and for whatever reason, eyes that look completely different (and more like Patrick Stewart's, in my opinion). There's also the fact that apparently some "Tapestry Picard" figures (as reported by a member of this site) were delivered with the season 1 Picard head. Now why would AA/DST bother replacing the original Tapestry Picard head (which was the same as Season 7 Picard, Captain's Jacket Picard, etc.) with the season 1 head if they didn't think doing so was improving it with a more recent/accurate sculpt? And I didn't mean to insult anyone...I just find it a little maddening that no one seems to agree with me on this when I was so sure of it after I bought multiple Picard figures. sad.gif

Well what I always do is find some minute detail and try to compare two heads based on that. If you find that enough of those are the same on both its the same sculpt. Its really amazing how far a good paint job can go....dont believe me look at some celebrities with makeup and without makeup and tell me they are the same face mold.

I also havent heard of the Tapestry Picard having an S1 head because the two releases were years apart if I recall. Does anyone have any pictures of that?

#57 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

Paint application makes a lot of difference. Take a look at some of the better customs in the custom section where people have completely repainted the head sculpt (Hunky Artist was the master of this when he was on the forums). The same head sculpt with a new paint job can look completely diffeerent and look more accurate. The AA/DST sculpts are dead on. What usually kills the likenesses are the assembly line paint applications at the factory.

#58 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jun 21 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I'm not much of a customizer, but if there's an easy way to give Data proper legs, I'd like to know. I imagine it's a little more complicated than the boil and pop method people use to replace heads/hands in their customizing?

I took a Sisko and Season 7 Data- Boiled and Popped the torsos apart and put Sisko's bottom half on Data. Nothing extra was needed. It worked perfectly for me. I left them in the hot water for about 2:30 minutes. They were still a little hard to pull apart but easy to put together.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

^^^ "That's the Answer Mr. Spock!"

I bought a ton of Sisko's when BBTS had them on clearance for just that reason.

#60 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

So someone asked DSTChuck in the latest DST Q & A about the Picard head sculpt and finally put an end to the debate. I humbly eat my words. smile.gif Thanks for clearing that up, whichever one of you here sent that question. I guess you really wanted me to shut up about this. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users