• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#21 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I would agree with the ships being very accurate. I remember when the Enterprise toys came out and get the nx-01. It looked just like the one I watch on tv each week, better even. The phase pistol and communicator after a few dabs of paint looked just like the onscreen props as well. I really do hope DST continues to do something with Trek as they do make highly detailed stuff.

Maybe there is a way would could petition them to continue making stuff for the fans? It worked for Enterprise when they were gonna cancel it after season 3. If we show them that yes there is still enough money to be made maybe they will do something.

#22 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Tomparis @ Sep 8 2011, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would agree with the ships being very accurate. I remember when the Enterprise toys came out and get the nx-01. It looked just like the one I watch on tv each week, better even. The phase pistol and communicator after a few dabs of paint looked just like the onscreen props as well. I really do hope DST continues to do something with Trek as they do make highly detailed stuff.

Again, just to clarify what I mentioned in the other forum and earlier in this post, DST is only done with the 7" figure line. They're still working on the new Enterprise

#23 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Alex @ Sep 8 2011, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, just to clarify what I mentioned in the other forum and earlier in this post, DST is only done with the 7" figure line. They're still working on the new Enterprise

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Tomparis @ Sep 8 2011, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe there is a way would could petition them to continue making stuff for the fans? It worked for Enterprise when they were gonna cancel it after season 3. If we show them that yes there is still enough money to be made maybe they will do something.

With a few dabs of paint, they are screen accurate. They switched over to the DST versions sometime in second season. Almost all the phasers you see in T'Pol's hands are DST.

#25 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

When asked what the status of the ship line was:
QUOTE (DST's FB page)
Facebooker: So the Star Trek action figure line has been discontinued. What's the status of the Starship Legends line and the prop replicas?

DST: Still active! Switching factories, but moving forward on new ships as we speak! And our Retro figure line is alive and well, and moving on to TNG.

Another Facebooker: What ships are you guys working on?

Me: DST, so glad to hear the ships are moving forward. Any chance of an update photo when you get samples back?

DST: New runs of the D and E, then moving on to a couple we've shown in the past. Not sure which will be first up. No JJ movie stuff. The minute there is somethign new to show, we'll post it. But rest assured work continues.

#26 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Sep 10 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With a few dabs of paint, they are screen accurate. They switched over to the DST versions sometime in second season. Almost all the phasers you see in T'Pol's hands are DST.

Wow, really I didn't know that! maybe that's why they fetch so much on ebay. I always knew they were accurate but so much so that they used them on the show that's crazy! It also makes me feel even worse for selling mine...

#27 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

There are two paint versions. They mostly used the first one. When Reed and Tucker are on that Romulan ship and Reed puts the Phase Pistol in the wall to explode, if you enlarge it, you can see the screw holes. When Archer picks up the Phaser in Thru a Mirror Darkly, there is no doubt that is an AA/DST right out of the box.

However, i think that we are starting to drift from topic. LOL

#28 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Sep 11 2011, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are two paint versions. They mostly used the first one. When Reed and Tucker are on that Romulan ship and Reed puts the Phase Pistol in the wall to explode, if you enlarge it, you can see the screw holes. When Archer picks up the Phaser in Thru a Mirror Darkly, there is no doubt that is an AA/DST right out of the box.

However, i think that we are starting to drift from topic. LOL

Wowo thanks for the info, Does anybody in the raleigh/durham area know where I could get some DST Star Trek toys? A buddy of mine had some in his booth but he sold them last weekend. I have heard a lot of talk about DST and wanna see some first hand and maybe buy it.

#29 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (DST's FB page)
Facebooker: Does the new 1701-E have LEDs in the blue warp grill?

DST: Let me check.

Facebooker: On the previous versions the warp grills don't even light up. That lack of lighting ruined it for most people.

DST: I know they're making some changes, but I don't know if that's one of them.

#30 padrig

padrig

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Im not that happy that they never released Any voyager and hasbro should get the line
Dst did a bad job anyway

#31 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

padrig, I understand your frustration but I don't think they've done a terrible job on the ships. Could they have done better? Definitely... But they are not as bad as all that.

It could be a distinct possibility that Hasbro will get the license in the near future but that license, it if happens at all, will only ever extend to JJ Abrams Star Trek. Even if Hasbro do get carte blanche to go into Roddenberry's Star Trek it will probably only ever be TOS so you can forget about ever getting a Voyager ship or figures from Hasbro.

DST are your best bet for getting a Voyager ship down the line. Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Enterprise might be popular with a section of the fan base but understand this, the fans of those shows are in the minority, unable on their own to support the cost of producing toys.

Even if Star Trek takes off in a huge way (of which I believe given time and quality films from Abrams, it will), I cant see any toy company producing toys of any kind based on DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. Those shows did not and do not capture the same interest or iconic status as TOS or TNG from the fan base at large let alone the general public and definitely not kids - of which toys are primarily marketed at...

Lets be realistic here. We all like toys, but toys are primarily marketed at kids. Star Trek from 1966 - 2005 and the fan-base that followed it, have all grown up beyond wanting toys produced by Hasbro or even DST. Star Trek of old had its time in the toy stores between 1992 - 1994 when Star Trek then was a hit with kids of all ages. Since then however, Trek has not enjoyed the same level of interest from kids... Do I believe that this is going to change, yes. I think with the success of the 2009 Star Trek movie and the slow but progress CBS and Abrams are making to engage kids in Star Trek again will eventually pay off and we may just see a time when Star Trek is just as popular with kids as Star Wars is today, I truly believe that. But it wont be USS Voyager toys or Voyager figures these kids will want, it'll be JJ Abrams USS Enterprise toys and maybe, just maybe, like Hasbro have done with Star Wars, a toy company may see a market for toys based on TOS or TNG or WoK but DS9? Voyager? Enterprise? No.

Could DST have done things differently? YES but when you put everything into consideration, Art Asylum and DST had it all stacked up against them. I've been known to give DST a hard time in the past, blaming quality and detail as their downfall but realistically, what DST have managed to do against the apparent trend, is to produce a vast array of different action figures, mini-mates, props and ships and continue to do so when all the signs point to a large lack of interest in Star Trek toys.

We can't be so blind as to blame DST for the failure of their line, yes quality control is a big issue, detail and paint apps became sterile but to blame them for the down-right failure of their line? That blame ultimately lies with the incompetent and ignorant producers and studio execs at Paramount during the early 00's who let the series flounder by assuming Trekkers would swallow anything with Star Trek slapped on it.

Thank God we now have a studio that seems willing to wait until the producers, the creative force behind Star Trek at the moment are ready to put the next Star Trek story into development. It seems that there's new anticipation as to what comes next surrounding Star Trek and at the risk of sounding cheesy, new life has definitely been given to Star Trek. Will this new life have an effect on DST's sales? I don't think so because what people want to see now is new Star Trek. Over the past 45 years, we've seen tons and tons of merchandise, Playmates did a fantastic job in the 90's on producing quality toys based on the current Star Trek of the time. DST/AA have done a great job in serving a percentage that weren't done collecting. I would suggest that by the next movie, DST would have stopped production on Star Trek toys altogether, I would love a Reliant but honestly I think the TNG Picard and Borg Retro, the BoP and Enterprise - B, D & E will be their final range, handing the baton to another, more mainstream company to begin their line based on the current Star Trek of today.

#32 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...but honestly I think the TNG Picard and Borg Retro, the BoP and Enterprise - B, D & E will be their final range, handing the baton to another, more mainstream company to begin their line based on the current Star Trek of today.

I think you're probably right. It's kind of a shame, given the quality and the investment. While I agree that there were odds beyond their control stacked against DST, I will say that I also do believe that the delays in production, be they something they had control over or not, (i.e.-an 18 month delay for a TNG wave with few updates or communications) contributed greatly to lack of consumer and retailer faith and were a factor. Still, I love the figures I have, I'm glad folks still enjoy the ships n' stuff, and I look forward to what comes next...from whoever it may be.

#33 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Perhaps, if possible, and if the interest exists, they could sell off the figure part of the license - if these TNG retros don't come to fruition - to some other company.

There must be some company out there eyeing up the license.

Can anyone explain the appeal of Retro's and minimates?

I'm not an action figure enthusiast - these days it's all about ships and tech for me, and I know I have more of a fetish for realism than most, but if I was buying a figure, I'd want it to be the best representation of the character possible, not a Lego homage or a 1970's nostalgia stylisation...

I don't understand how the realistic figure line can be less popular than silly little blocky men, or cheap looking plastic dolls. I don't think those are unfair descriptors, I'm not being insulting with them - they are intentionally silly and blocky, and intentionally cheap and primitive looking, respectively.

I could understand it if it was about cost of production versus probable sales figure, and that, while the minimates and retro's will sell to a smaller market share, they will be far cheaper to produce. But it's not that simple. People seem really jazzed about these things. There seems to be demand.

What? Why?

#34 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Oct 10 2011, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps, if possible, and if the interest exists, they could sell off the figure part of the license - if these TNG retros don't come to fruition - to some other company.

I sure wish/hope that someone will pick this up. (Beats dead horse) I think there is more potential out there and I also find it really hard to believe, despite what they say, that there are more people interested in buying "Munsters" figures than "Star Trek." Don't get me wrong...they did great work on the figures. They look beautiful. But how is it true that there is more of a market for them? Mind-boggling.

That said, I get the retro appeal for those that had the MEGO figures back in the day. There's nostalgia involved and so forth. Part of me thinks that I would do the same for a brushing off of the "Galoob" figures or definitely the '90s Playmates Trek stuff.

However, I have to agree about the minimates. I really don't get it. I get the appeal from a production stand point...no actors to please, fewer molds, per se, more cost-effective. But I don't get it from a consumer perspective. Who is the target market for some of these? I'm very curious to know the demographics on who is purchasing the minimates.

#35 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Oct 10 2011, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt very much that there is another TOY company out there who is willing to pick up a license just to produce Star Trek's TOS & TNG (with zilch interest in doing toys for DS9, VOY and ENT). I think what is perhaps interesting to future licensees is a license to produce JJ Abrams Star Trek toys/merchandise.

Retro's are pretty much going out of fashion but the same applies to them as it does Mini-Mates. Mini-Mates stem from a Japanese idea for miniature scale, funky, abstract products based on popular characters. Similar to Urban Vinyl toys, Mini-Mates are collectable items which seem to be selling best as Marvel superheroes. The appeal is that they are small, arty, abstract mini-figures.

I'm not an action figure enthusiast - these days it's all about ships and tech for me, and I know I have more of a fetish for realism than most, but if I was buying a figure, I'd want it to be the best representation of the character possible, not a Lego homage or a 1970's nostalgia stylisation... I don't understand how the realistic figure line can be less popular than silly little blocky men, or cheap looking plastic dolls. I don't think those are unfair descriptors, I'm not being insulting with them - they are intentionally silly and blocky, and intentionally cheap and primitive looking, respectively.

I think stylised stuff, minimalistic stuff taken from a very real and natural form appeals to many because it's minimal, style and design reflects the design of today's times. Mini-Mates look at home in an Ikea or minimalist furnished room. today people like clean lines, simplistic forms and bright, bold colours, funky and futuristic. Plus it's very 60's & 70's, less is more...

I like the Mini-Mates because their simple and fun, they take a very normal character and turn it into a character all into itself. As for the retros', I like the design of them, the very simplistic nature of toys back in the 60's and 70's. Where as action figures, a clear cut replication of what you see on screen, unless it's highly detailed like Hot Toys figures are, 7 inch figures seem life-less and aren't detailed enough to capture everything in the same way Hot Toys do.

As for ships, I like the ships but I've kinda decided to cancel my pre-orders, I've lost all the excitement and interest in having them after having to re-paint the insides of my WoK 1701. I also don't have the space and to be honest, I'm swaying to the side of collecting fewer higher end items that display superbly.

#36 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

I concur with everything you say, Alex, as usual smile.gif.

However, would the Playmates Goddard type 6 shuttle be considered a ship or a playset?

Aside from easily resolved fudgy issues like that, I think this would be a very smart way to deal with the merchandising of the franchise. I believe the current separation of church and state may be down to the rights distribution between Paramount and CBS. It should not, however be so big an issue that they couldn't put their heads together and agree on a consistent approach to merchandise licensing.

Not being an action figure enthusiast, I may be a little naive here, but I think DST's figures, while perhaps a little delicate (I have one DST Figure, a BSG Brendan "Hotdog" Costanza, who's hand recently broke off), are the best toy-priced Star Trek figures ever produced. I haven't bought any Star Trek figures from them, but I've always admired the sculpts, and particularly the lovingly crafted accessories, which make me wish DST did tech such as the various phaser rifles and TNG tricorders.

Does anyone have any opinions on companies that might better handle the various sections of the franchise in this manner?
EG. - Who gets the Tech licence, Ship licence, figure/playset license? Give some examples as to why?

EDIT: Sorry 1701, I didn't see your post there - I must have hit reply on an old, unrefreshed version of the page. I just saw it now (03:59 GMT 14th October), thanks for illustrating the appeal of those products, very enlightening.

#37 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Ya know.... If we HAD to switch companies..... Im thinking Hasbro or Mattel would do the best job with figures and playsets...although if they came from Hasbro they almost certainly would be 3.75" ...which isnt a bad thing ...we would probably get a ton of them...and great playsets to go with them. Mattel would probably do higher end larger figures. I still say DST does the best Tek and ships ( Even though quality is an issue at times)

#38 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Oct 12 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I concur with everything you say, Alex, as usual smile.gif.

However, would the Playmates Goddard type 6 shuttle be considered a ship or a playset?

The Goddard (and the Orinoco for that matter,) would be considered a playset; Chuck said so himself awhile back when he explained why they hadn't produced such a toy. Apparently DST either doesn't or didn't have a license to produce that type of playset at the time; the retro playset was covered as part of the retro license. (Whether DST could go back and grab the rights to modern playsets is unknown.) Supposedly the reason DST didn't pick up a playset license though was that playsets tend to sell quite poorly, particularly in the states. The closest DST ever came to a "playset" was Art Asylum's ENT "figure + electronic base" concept, which didn't do as well as expected. (Retailers didn't want to touch it because it was a playset, and although the few people interested in ENT bought the items, they were incredibly difficult to find; ENT's lack of popularity didn't help sales either.) Mayweather's bridge piece never even made it into production. The closet we've gotten to seeing this again has been Kirk/Picard/Riker+Chair, which have been well received among fans, but apparently not nearly as well received among retailers. Again, Sisko+Chair (Defiant) was planned, but it never saw the light of day, and DST tried numerous times to get it out the door. The recession really killed it though, and fans are still furious about this, because it's still a wanted item.

The playset problem isn't exclusive to Trek though; other lines have had a series of playset duds as well. Prior to 2003, it was easy to find a traditional playset for each season of Power Rangers; after 2003 though, Bandai dropped the traditional playsets because they were shelf warmers. 2003

#39 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (DST's FB Page)
Facebooker: Any chance we are going to see new Star Trek Ships this year?

DSTinternBot: Not this year, but development is progressing!

Facebooker: Thanks. sad.gif Does that mean that we are going to see the B etc some day?

DSTinternBot: The B and the BOP are both in development, yes.

I think "new" as oposed to "reissue", which aparently includes the Enterprise-E repaint in InternBot's mind, is an important distinction to make here.

QUOTE (DST's FB Page)
Facebooker: I need to ask the same question i asked last week, and the one on all trekkies lips.
'Can we get a confirmation when the All good things enterprise will be released as the site still says 15th october, please?

DSTinternBot: Sorry, no status update since last week, as we were all at New Yok Comic-Con. But now that we're back, we will change those dates on the site.

Facebooker: I suppose I'm as eager as everyone to get one of these. What date will it be and what is the reason for the delay?

DSTinternBot: The new date has not been set yet. We're dealing with some factory issues, and hope to be able to put it out at the same price and quality as the first release of the AGT D. (This is a re-release.)

#40 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Are DST gonna release the standard Enterprise D with neck windows? or is it just going to be the AGT version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users