Photo

AA Enterprise Figures going green in the face?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

I've got on display, uncarded, a set of AA ENT figures in the blue uniforms and a set of figures in EVA suits. I used to think they were some of the best figures I own, but recently I've noticed that the face piant on all of them has gone - er - green and they all look like Vulcans! I get the idea that paint might fade a little if exposed to the light, but this isn't just fade this is turning another, quite vivid, colour completely.

Has anyone else noticed this with these figures? The remainder of my uncarded figures out on display seem fine. Some of the flesh tones have faded but they haven't morphed into Vulcans.

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

I bought a lot of extra stuff to do some customs and have seen a wide array of colors on the face. If I recall coreectly, Ive had issues with almost a graying but I could also see that hints of green too. I havent looked at my MOC stuff lately, but when I dig them out i'll take a look. Do you have any pictures available of what your stuff looks like? Do you have it displayed out in the open?

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Can you get a photo? Like to see that myself.

#4 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Mine are on a shelf downstairs.. I'll have to check them out but I thought they were doing okay! Could it have anything to do with sunlight maybe? Just trying to think of possibilities.

#5 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

Okay, these aren't great pictures because my Canon is only a point and shoot and it's very hard to get smallish objects into sharp focus, but hopefully you can see the colour change well enough. It's clearly a function of sun fade, although I have been careful to keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible, but what weird shade to go!

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

On some of the stuff Ive bought on ebay, I had that same issue. It looks as if its the same exact shade as well. I wasnt sure if yours were more green or what not. I think that Archer tells the tale!

#7 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Can't really tell with that Trip figure, but yeah those others definitely do tell the tale.

#8 Barney

Barney

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 28 2011, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... It's clearly a function of sun fade, although I have been careful to keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible, but what weird shade to go!

My action figures look exactly like yours, also the rubber on their pants, neart the shoes, melted a bit on everyone of them. The weirdest of them all was Captain Archer that have big holes in the back of his legs.

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:56 AM

I actually thought it would be the rubber pants that went first on my figures TBH. However, they do seem to be intact still, which is surprising given that the back of my Nausicaan Pirate's jacket has perished and did so pretty quickly.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but Trip has gone a little green around the gills as well; Archer looks like the famous "50/50 Bar" line from Close Encounters - only he's half green.

#10 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

well I can defiantly see T'pol going green in the face. bur ump bum. lol for more terrible trek jokes see me at. lol the rubber on my figs is changing but no green

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

My Enterprise figures on my shelf still look like they did when i bought them back when they first came out about 10 years ago or so. The room i have them in has very little daylight coming through the shaded windows and it stays climate controlled so that its never too hot or cold. Collectibles must be stored in the proper conditions if you expect them to retain mint or even very good condition over a long period of time. I have heard people say that they keep their stuff in hot attics or in outside storage buildings that are not climate controlled, and i expect they will find melted, discolored, moth eaten crap when they go back to pull it out of storage.

#12 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'll let you know when I get mine down from the attic VF :laugh: I plan on pretty them in a room pretty much as you describe. It is the one room that doesn't get a lot of sun in it. I just need to finish that room. Unfortunately I have a long list of other things that have to be finished first. Knock on wood, all of my Trek figures are intact, but I do remember there being some concerns from folks on other boards in the past. Still, hate seeing this happen to any collector. I wonder if it was the paint they used to get the likeness just right or the material or a combination of both for that matter?

#13 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

I have not noticed it with my Enterpise guys. I don't go into the cabinet I have in my closet much. But I did notice a change in my old wave 1 TOS Kirk looking different.

#14 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:23 AM

I guess not every collector can have a climate controlled room to display their Trek goodies in. I have to make do with my bedroom and that is not to dramatic in terms of climate change, although it has a very large window and faces south. Fortunately, I own boxed and carded duplicates of every single figure I own!

I think the green colour may well be to do with the possibility that they originally cast every part of each figure in the same coloured plastic they used for the whole thing. This is certainly true of the Nemesis range produced around the same time. The face paint may have been affected by whatever it covers - but I'm not for scraping the paint off to see what it is! I guess a retouch might be in order.

#15 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Oh, I'm sure someone who has one of the prototypes could probable tell you so you don't have to ruin your figures Jules wink.gif I'm pretty sure you are right though. I seem to remember them being a weird color compared to other figures unsure.gif

#16 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

The DST figures have heads sculpted in a milky white colour. I will send a pic when I get to my computer. Sorry to see that happen to someone's collection.

#17 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

Mine have not had the Green head issue, but space concerns require them to be kept in boxes for most of the time.

#18 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

Yes. possibly the heads are sculpted in white plastic. I do know that NEM Viceroy and Shinzon figues' hands were sculpted in the same blue plastic used for the uniforms and then painted in flesh tones, because one of them had paint lifted off onto the packaging in transit. It's got to be a fault with the particular paint used on that line - that it goes green rather than fades out. I've never known that happen on any other of model lines I have on display. It is odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users