Photo

No AA Mayweather Helm Station available? I'll build my own then......

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#41 CaptSpry

CaptSpry

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Your build is fantastic!  I am glad you are going to be able to use the graphics...I have never gotten around to build my own so I am pleased someone can make use of them :)   

Keep up the amazing work!

#42 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

They are fantastic graphics and I thank you for your work and generosity. You were correct though when you anticipated them becoming heavily pixelated when reduced. I think I will work out the exact proportions and THEN scale them down on a colour photocopier, rather than reduce them on the actual PC. That way I can retain a lot more of the beautiful detail you put into them. Once again, many thanks to you, CaptSpry!

#43 admiralsands

admiralsands

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

Really great work dude!!  Put me down for one or two if you decide to sell.

#44 Bryan

Bryan

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Great!

This happens after I throw in the towel and sell all my other bridge pieces.....

But seriously that's incredible work!

#45 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

This is amazing work. If you can make a few of them, put me down for one. I still have all my old Enterprise stations gathering dust in my cupboard.

#46 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the support, guys! It's always a huge morale boost to read your comments!

My apologies for the delay; I have been taking care of a few outstanding orders etc but I should have an update of sorts really soon. And if I do manage to actually find a way to mould and cast this piece, I will certainly put you on the list, Artistix and Admiralsands. :) I appreciate your confidence in my meagre abilities. :lol:

#47 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Okay, so I am encountering some significant problems with the Helm Construction, notably, trying to reproduce the flooring texture that appears on all the other pieces. The problem is that every time I cast from the mould the finished resin piece is full of bubbles. They are clinging to all those little holes in the mould no matter how slow I pour. So, until I can resolve the issue I have put it to one side and directed my mind elsewhere. Now, I have stated, I think, quite clearly that it is not my intention to build anything other than the Helm station but if I ever did, it would probably look a lot like this. 

20140118_235722_zps14t9cqif.jpg

I just can't help myself, can I !!!???  :rolleyes: It was just grating on my nerves that the platforms for T'Pol's and Reeds stations were too narrow front to back so I built a new one to the correct size.....and then I made the floor tracks for the chair to slide in....

20140118_235830_zpsfranugup.jpg

So pretty soon, I had the back walls bashed out and I started on the rear console.

20140118_204248_zpsew3uh1ln.jpg

20140118_204014_zpsyv3k2mgp.jpg

This is actually T'pols console but She's without a head at the moment so I set it up on the other side of the bridge. Here's a detail shot. 

20140118_203929_zpsqutcxcfh.jpg

So, to stop me going down this crazy route, building ANOTHER 3.5 foot wide bridge, can someone please solve my flooring issue??? 

:lol:

#48 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

I think there is a sterine sheet that has a similar pattern, but I forget the scale

#49 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'll solve your flooring issue, just send it all to me :D

seriously impressive work!!

#50 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks guys. :)

The flooring, as you know, is made up of row upon row of tiny, parallel, raised circles. These become tiny circular indents in the mould and air is clinging to the insides of these tiny indents when I pour the resin. It was my intention to mould the largest section of flooring I could find from one of the Art Asylum pieces and then pull casts to use as floor tiles. does that make sense? The issue is not with bubbles in the resin, it is rather the resin trapping air in the indents, no matter how slowly I pour.

Tiberius, if you do come across that sheeting would you please let me know? I would be very grateful to you. I am, of course also now trying to track it down..

#51 CaptSpry

CaptSpry

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Just use the blue carpet from Season 4 and you wont have to worry about the floor pattern :)   shhhhhhhhh, I won't tell.

#52 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Well, someone has recommended that I dust the mould with baby powder so I will try that next. Fingers crossed!

#53 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Thank you for the support, folks! I really appreciate it. As for making and selling copies, to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it. I just see things that don't exist but should and I make them exist. That's why I do this. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the idea but it would be hollow cast plastic resin rather that 3D printing as, I am sorry to say, 3D printing of a piece this large would be prohibitively expensive, IMHO.

I guess if enough people were genuinely interested, say......a minimum of ten pre-orders, it might be worth looking at....

Add my name to the list of 10 in that case!

#54 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Bubble issue: I don't know if you have the capability to do so or not, but I've been told if you have a way to vibrate the item as you pour the resin, the bubbles will work themselves out before the resin sets. 

#55 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thanks, Wildcard. Consider yourself added to the list! :)

I will try to iron this issue out this weekend and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the advice and I will definitely try the vibrating method, too

#56 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

I think you have your ten (don't forget me :D).

#57 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Don't worry, you are on the list The more orders I take, the less expensive they become for everyone else. :)

Small update: I have decided to go for the Season 4 Refitted bridge so that means a lot of revisions to work already carried out. to that end, I have been cutting holes where necessary and building new button panels etc as required. More on that soon.
Here are a few pics of my general progress.

The left hand door and wall surround is all but finished. I just need to add the small button panels etc.

20140127_015159_zpsc65a535a.jpg

20140127_015223_zps81988ceb.jpg

Different view and tighter shot

20140127_015345_zpsf69be2ad.jpg

You can see more panel windows have been cut and framed

20140127_235017_zpscc3di6l0.jpg

Here's an aerial view to finish with. 

20140127_235129_zpst1sbfhac.jpg

I will post again soon with an update on the Helm Station, and my progress on panels, consoles and monitor screens. The Helm plynth will come with the textured flooring to match the Art Asylum set.

#58 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

All I can say is amazing!

#59 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

i love it when i see a bridge that is not a TOS bridge. not to say that i don't love the 1701 i do, but you see so many of them it is just nice to see something new. dam fine job man..

#60 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

whooow, just whooow... really cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users