• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

About a week ago I went to my local hobby shop to a sprue cutter. The two guys who own and operate said shop were helping someone in the section of the store dedicated to Lionel trains, which gave me a chance to do some browsing. So imagine my surprise when I noticed that the shop had the Round2 reissues of the AMT 1701-E and AMT 1701 in retro packaging out on shelves, and really imagine my surprise when I had no idea that either of these ships were being reissued. Anyway, my parents surprised me with the reissued 1701-E as a Valentines Day gift (they went on vacation for the weekend,) after I'd casually mentioned that I was interested in it earlier in the week, and the hobby shop had only one left.

Okay, I know Thomas E. Johnson has mentioned that the AMT kit is "inaccurate/incorrectly proportioned," so the known issues nonwithstanding, here are my questions about the Round2 reissue of the AMT Enterprise-E because 1) I don't want to open this kit until I can snag a second one, and 2) I have neither the First Contact, nor the Insurrection, nor the Platz reissues of this kit to compare it too. That said, if anyone is able to offer photos and/or comparison information of each release of this kit, it'd be much appreciated.

1. Does the Round2 reissue come with the Cartograf decals that the Japanese Platz version of the ship came with?
  2. Are there any changes to kit itself; decals and/or stands nonwithstanding?
  3. Would you recommend using third-party decals, such as the upcoming ones from Alliance Models?
  4. What paints, customizations, LEDs etc.,etc. do you recommend for this kit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated; thank you in advance. Finally here's what I know so far about the Round2 reissue:

1. The kit retails for roughly $30.00 dollars
  2. The Round2 reissue has an updated metal stand. (I'm assuming that I could "fill" the hole for the stand and hang the ship from the ceiling, but please correct me if I'm wrong.)
  3. One of the guys who owns the hobby shop told my mother that the ship is "flying off the shelves," and he's having trouble keeping it in stock, which is consistent with what I saw while I was in the store, and with the AMT 1701-E kit (and subsequent reissues) in general.
  4. The ship does not appear to come with any electronics whatsoever, which means any lighting will likely have to be the work of customization.

Finally, it's also worth noting that although none were in stock when I was there, when my mother was in the hobby shop she noticed that the Limited Edition Round2 reissue of the AMT 1701 w/collector's tin was in stock. I'm seriously thinking about picking up said 1701 kit because I can't find the one I built with my father years ago and I could go for building it again. Now if only Round2 would reissue the AMT 1701-A kit I'd be in perfect shape. I had one years ago that disappeared with my missing 1701 kit. I repaired the 1701-A kit once after my brother knocked it over (he couldn't have been more than eight at the time,) by accident, so I'd like to rebuild it rather than potentially repair the nacelle pylons on it again.

#2 duralumin

duralumin

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hello Alex. The one of thing I can confirm is that the kits are truly selling well...my local Hobbytown has told me that these ships are doing well for them and while they may be a little difficult to get them into stock again you can be assured that Round 2 will fill the orders, as many as possible. According to Round 2's website the reissue kits come with "newer enhanced decal sheets". Whether these will be as good as the Alliance product is something unknown to me...as I've never truthfully beheld Alliance product but am going by friends' observations. Botom line is I'm just happy that these reissues are available and I don't have to pay top dollar to get them from Ebay or someplace else.

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I ordered a round 2, 1967 Spock with phaser model from EE. I plan on putting it together, so i ordered the cardboard box version, not the tin collectors box version. I havent built a model in years, except for the King Kong Aurora model i bought a couple of years ago, that i have never finished. Come to think about it, i need to do that since i have some time off. Anyone else buy this model?

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

^^ no I haven't gotten that one because the thought of attempting the paint details of it gives me a head ache just thinking about it . I did pick up and build the D-7 Battle Cruiser reissue that round 2 put out awhile back . I have it built and on display , just waiting for a time I have the spare cash and time to pick up the proper paints to add some color then decal it up and seal it lol

#5 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Looks like Round 2 has lots on the drawing board for the remaineder of the year, including a re-release of the 18 inch Enterprise D, The Reliant, and the Klingon Bird of Prey!

http://www.round2mod...odels/star-trek

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:08 AM

I like those. I may have to get a few.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

I would like to build some of these models so i may pick up a few. I have Spock and the 3 headed hydra model i need to build and a King Kong model that i am not through with yet.

#8 gkap

gkap

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hello all Haven't posted in awhile but I just wanted to say that I just picked up the k7 reissue and on the side panel it says that the galileo and the klingon battlecruiser will be returning soon. Just thought I'd pass that along.

#9 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

If your able to, take some pics of your build up. Also on the round 2 website James E. Smalls shows his step by step professional build up with lighting .

#10 gkap

gkap

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

I saw that article and picked up what I needed for lighting from radio shack yesterday. I'll try to post pics when I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users