• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#1381 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

Right,Orville and Galaxy Quest it is then,lol! I'll watch the first few episoses of STD of course,and maybe it'll be really good a few episodes in,like so MANY other shows.

Alex,I'm curious about what you say,is it all fact or some speculation on your part as well? And I do agree it seems McFarlane gets Trek better than the new guys,but I still agree with Jason Isaacs as well.

#1382 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

Thats quite a lot Alex! Just curious where you got all that? any citations?

Not disputing anything, but it doesn't seem like they would cancel what was supposed to be a 13 episode show... which is like a 1/2 season anyhow... when they expanded it from 13 to 15 ...and... its getting an after show ? whatever that means?

Theres no doubt that CBS is taking a significant risk with there approach... and some opinion blogs have been saying its doomed to fail for months. 

Looking back at past "Pilots"... the one past Trek show that didn't really grab me was DS9. The Irony, is that show with its more serialized drama and slow build of character relationships is still my favorite of them all. My point being is a pilots purpose has been to suck in viewers, but they may not be a good sign of the ultimate direction the show goes or its success. 

Still... while I'm curious about the show... and I think CBS is making a smart play... that pilot would really have to be something special to suck me in and get me to pay...

But the truth is... I'm just not the demographic they are looking for... heck I've boycotted Netflix for 6 years now because I was mad about how they handled their mail order / streaming split. Currently I only have Amazon Streaming... and I continually question its value... especially as they seemly de-value the prime while looking for other premium revenue streams. 

No... as intrigued  as I am about Discovery and CBS all Access... they need to do more to get someone like me to subscribe... exclusive content is important... but they need a movie library component in the bundle to hook me. 

#1383 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I've heard the rumours Alex has posted as well from a YouTube channel called Midnights Edge. They claim to have inside information from reliable sources about the chaos that surrounds the Discovery production and that there is likely to be something that happens midway through this season that completely rewrites the original concept for Discovery into something closer to what fans and Netflix expected; a PRIME Timeline Star Trek series.

It does seem like they are heading towards an Anthology series with Discovery and that season 2 will be straight up Prime Timeline headed by Nicholas Meyer's mini series.

The Netflix thing is interesting because I still don't think All Access is going to pay off for CBS so they're going to need someone to distribute Star Trek worldwide. I think the change will include a heavier Netflix presence as a producing partner and we could even see the return of Bryan Fuller for season 2.

If Alex has got his info from Midnights Edge then who knows if it's true or not, if it's another source that is different from them then I'm likely to believe that CBS are seeking to reduce the damage Discovery will undoubtedly cause.

It's also interesting to see how involved a lot of the creative team are in convincing fans on twitter that this show is going to be great. That's either just a sign of the times we live in or actually they're shitting themselves and that this series is doomed already. Curious that Stella the Star Trek Dog has been silent for a while now and hasn't been included in any of the more recent press junkets for the series...

#1384 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

I've heard some ME stuff on YT as well,but until I hear anything official I take all this fan speculation and wishes and socalled reliable sources and whatnot,with a HUGE grain of salt. Confirmed facts I'll believe. That's why I was asking Alex if what he quotes are actual facts.

#1385 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

I've also heard numerous times on Collider from Jon Shnepp and Robert Meyer Burnett who both know people on the inside that Discovery is a shit storm doomed to fail. Also Denise and Mike Okuda, Doug Drexler have all suggested worrying times ahead after Fuller was fired. The firing of Bryan Fuller is really a massive red flag and it's then that things began to go really badly wrong for the production. CBS should of waited for him to finish American Gods.

One thing is for damned sure; the fan base have totally shown up the incompetence of both CBS and Paramount. I don't 100% agree with Axanar but you have to hand it to them, they got the fans pumped for their version of Star Trek as have Star Trek: Continues and New Voyages - what has made CBS think they can do better is out of nothing but sheer greed and pettiness. They'd have been much better off by getting around the red tape clearly involved in allowing fans to produce licenced Star Trek, by not taking legal action but hiring the folks at Axanar and Continues to develop a new Star Trek series with Netflix.

#1386 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've heard some ME stuff on YT as well,but until I hear anything official I take all this fan speculation and wishes and socalled reliable sources and whatnot,with a HUGE grain of salt. Confirmed facts I'll believe. That's why I was asking Alex if what he quotes are actual facts.

Well you won't hear anything official haha!!

Not sure CBS will ever admit that they've totally screwed up. I think it will take for us to read between the lines here. Something doesn't smell quite right about Discovery.

#1387 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Going to be interesting seeing how this all pans out. I expect a lot more hate for Discovery once it launches. Maybe if Discovery bombs CBS will pull their heads out of their asses and give us some real Star Trek, or nothing at all. I would rather have the "nothing at all" choice rather than see Star Trek turned into a steaming pile of shit.

#1388 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

I could actually hear something official,if I wanted to,hahah! lol! But I choose not to as it would be off the record,and therefore not totally official. I have some friends in LA who work....here and there,and they could find out for me. But till the documentary about how this series got off the ground materialises,I guess I won't hear anything official,lol! Unless Alex has some official facts for us. lol

#1389 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'd prefer something but if cbs can't get Star Trek right then perhaps nothing for a time being would be for the best until someone comes to cbs and cbs are in a position to allow them the chance to create their vision and not one that is created by committee.

#1390 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

This whole situation feels very reminiscent of Ghostbuster last year to me. It was something that just didn't click with the general public, the fans hated it and it bombed. It also had a small minority of people "trying" to like it, persuading other fans to try to like it and give it a chance. We've seen that same sort of thing with Discovery. I shouldn't have to look past the glaring canon mistakes, ignore the fact that it's throwing most of what Star Trek is all about out the window and feel like I'm being pessimistic because I'm smart enough to know what I like and don't like. I just want a Star Trek I can embrace and be happy about. Honestly I'm not to picky either, there are a million different variations I would accept, but it has to actually be Star Trek at the end of the day.

#1391 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Well.. critically 2016 Ghost busters wasn't better then the original. 

When you take on and reboot something as universally loved by people and critics alike the remake needs to eclipse the original... otherwise whats the point.

#1392 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Trek should do a Who......take a nice long break and come back like Who did in 2005,made by fans who actually got it and cared about it. Give it to McFarlane,once he's done with Orville,lol.

#1393 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

The current break hasn't been long enough?

#1394 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

Trek should do a Who......take a nice long break and come back like Who did in 2005,made by fans who actually got it and cared about it. Give it to McFarlane,once he's done with Orville,lol.

I think you're onto something here.

The BBC handled the relaunch of Doctor Who with such grace and dignity. They modernised the show but kept the format and the spirit of the original intact. It wasn't reimagined or drastically changed.

The Orville presents a massive thorn in the side of CBS's Star Trek. Whilst it is a drama/comedy series, clearly Seth MacFarlane is channelling Star Trek: The Next Generation and one has to wonder if that's more in keeping with the Star Trek everyone wants.

#1395 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:04 AM

From 2005 to 2009 is not a long enogh break from Trek. Who took a break from 1989 to 2005,with a tv movie thrown in for good measure in 1996. And it came back in a big way,and like 1701D said,was handled just the right way and became widely popular again. If Trek could do something like that,it'd be great. I guess time will tell.

#1396 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:10 AM

I think if Discovery doesn't work then rather than a back up plan in whatever Nicholas Meyer is planning, Star Trek should be rested for at least as long as Doctor Who was rested.

Give it some time and allow people the time to miss it properly but also allow the studios to change and allow those who may be charged with its resurrection the chance to figure out what it is people missed about Star Trek and what it was that made it so popular in the first place.

The Abrams movies and now Discovery don't answer that question - they answer the demand of greedy corporate executives wanting a big new summer tent pole franchise and a ways in which to launch their own streaming service respectively.

Yes studios have to make money and yes Star Trek is a ways in making said money but not at the expense of Star Trek should these studios go about doing so, in the long run it undermines and dilutes the property and will only ever make you money in the short term - in the long run, the franchise suffers because it's not being given the respect it deserves and the studios loose money because in their haste to get something out in order to make a quick buck, they skip over the integral part to any franchise - the fan base.

#1397 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

From 2005 to 2009 is not a long enogh break from Trek. Who took a break from 1989 to 2005,with a tv movie thrown in for good measure in 1996. And it came back in a big way,and like 1701D said,was handled just the right way and became widely popular again. If Trek could do something like that,it'd be great. I guess time will tell.

I don't count 2009. The Abrams movies aren't real Trek. Even if they were good, Trek has always thrived in TV. Movies have always just been something a little extra. 2005-2017 is a pretty decent gap. I think the time is right now, they just don't seem to be seizing the opportunity correctly.

#1398 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

I don't count 2009. The Abrams movies aren't real Trek. Even if they were good, Trek has always thrived in TV. Movies have always just been something a little extra. 2005-2017 is a pretty decent gap. I think the time is right now, they just don't seem to be seizing the opportunity correctly.

I don't think taking breaks or having gaps is what they need, what they need is to listen to their fanbase and give them what they want. They need to stop with the retarded prequels unless they are going to do them right and pick up sometime after Voyager ended and continue on from there with great stories written in the style that Star Trek is known for.

#1399 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

I don't think taking breaks or having gaps is what they need, what they need is to listen to their fanbase and give them what they want. They need to stop with the retarded prequels unless they are going to do them right and pick up sometime after Voyager ended and continue on from there with great stories written in the style that Star Trek is known for.

#1400 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

Fans didn't want TNG, and wanted more Kirk and Spock, but it turned into a lot of people's favorite series. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users