The Worst Star Trek Movie Is...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: The Worst Star Trek Movie (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your least favourite Star Trek movie and why?

1. Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Voted Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Star Trek: Generations (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

8. Star Trek: First Contact (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Star Trek: Insurrection (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Star Trek (2009) (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Medication time, Destructor!  :) Hehe, this thread is a lightning rod for rants so feel free to let it all out!

I chose ST:V as the stunted runt of the litter... it's truly an abomination, the SW Holiday Special of Trek films. It makes me cringe and wince like no other Trek flick. The Nimbus III catwoman stripper scene is another horrid sequence from V not mentioned above. Too many dreadful moments to choose from! 

I'd quibble about a few of 1701's thoughts but I'm pretty much on the same page.

From best to worst, IMHO:

- First Contact

- Wrath of Khan

- Star Trek

- Into Darkness

- Undiscovered Country

- Nemesis

- Search For Spock

- Generations

- Voyage Home

- Insurrection

- Galaxy Quest

- TMP

- Final Frontier

#22 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

I did vow to myself that I'd stop weighing in on discussions of STID - I get too wrapped up in it, but I'll just drop in on this one to rate STID as the unquivocal worst Star Trek film.

It set up so many tantalising elements in the first 40 minutes, and then suddenly flipped the stupid switch. I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me, and it turned my stomach a little. The "references" were more like parody, except they weren't funny. They were verbatim trot-outs without context or heart. It was appalling.

I'll stop here, I can feel another rant building, and nobody wants that.

I am with you brother! I for one wouldnt mind reading your rant because it would no doubt be what i would say too.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

I loved STID so I could do without another rant over it.

#24 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I appreciate the rant-related latitude being offered here, but honestly, I'll only give myself indigestion!

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Booooo! Booooo!  ....  There's no way Galaxy Quest is the 3rd to worst! That movie is so hilariously a Star Trek rip off while making fun of every Trekkie cliche that it def ranks right below the good trek movies. 

Of course I have a sense of humor about things like these lists, and movies in general, so I don't get that worked up about them.

#26 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

When Galaxy Quest came out, I read a review about it that said "the best Star Trek movie since Star Trek 6!" And I have to agree.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

yep, and thats probably about where it belongs, right after the undiscovered country!

#28 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, my top four are TWOK, TUC, TVH, and STFC in no particular order, much like Gothneo. In my opinion, after that comes STNEM, TSFS, then GEN, and then, in this order, STINS-FF-TMP. For me, at least FF (Final Frontier) had the uniforms going for it at least.

In my opinion, I don't even count STITD or 09 as Star Trek, and I tend to sweep them under the carpet as I can't even think about it without screaming "Petoq!" at the top of voice. I just feel as though a hobo has just run on to my front lawn and urinated all over my flowers and in my pond. I'll leave it at that, or I'll revert to my Klingon/Grumpy old man state and start screaming Get Of My Lawn!

So, to sum up, TMP, followed by 09 and ITD in the minuses.

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wow, i read an article on Yahoo where Simon Pegg was interviewed. The interviewer asked him what he thought about a recent Star Trek convention in Las Vegas ranking Star Trek into Darkness as the worst Star Trek movie of the franchise, his comment to the fans was "F... You". This response really shows the difference a few decades have made in the way people act and respond to one another, the type of programming we have on TV and Movies we have in the theater. I cant imagine James Doohan ever responding like that in an interview, even if he may have been thinking it. Seems like we have a different breed of people making Star Trek now, as opposed to the pre Enterprise Star Trek producers. Wonder if that had anything to do with Enterprise Tanking after 4 seasons and so many people hating the JJ Trek movies. It seems Enterprise and the JJ movies are aimed at a demographic other than the main Star Trek fan base. One example i have is my Uncle and Aunt, who are in their mid sixties. They were never regular Star Trek fans. Last year i introduced them to Netflix, and they found Enterprise, watched the entire series and loved it. I recommended TWOK to them and they hated it. They wouldnt watch anymore of the Star Trek movies, but i am betting they would like the JJ movies. The thing is, even thouh they liked Enterprise, they wouldnt buy it on disc, and wouldnt buy anything to do with Star Trek. To me it seems as if the people that Abrams is courting with his movies as well as the Enterprise series are people who are only casual watchers of Star Trek and not fans that would support merchandising. Seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot if your not appealing to the folks that open their wallets to buy merchandise connected to the movies. I heard once that people buy things that they can find comfort in, perhaps thats why Enterprise and JJ Trek merchandise was such a dismal failure.

#30 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well, that's an interesting thought, VF, but I know quite a few people (myself included), who like Enterprise especially for being much closer to the original show and who cannot stand JJ-Trek at all.

#31 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

It's an interesting topic for discussion in my opinion, as I find it fascinating how people can take so many different things away from the one franchise. However, one thing I keep hearing over, and over again, is that these new movies are, "not for the fans."

I find that statement so patronising, but who am I to argue, when those two films have made so much money?! Provide me with the toys, give me the Trek I love on blu-ray, and like Scotty on the holodeck (minus the bit where he gets angry and upset), I'll be fine. lol

#32 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

All that, Jay K, but with "don't expect me to get excited about the next film" in there somewhere.

Which just makes me sad.

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

However, one thing I keep hearing over, and over again, is that these new movies are, "not for the fans."

I find that statement so patronising, but who am I to argue, when those two films have made so much money?!

Yeah, I think thats the message fans like 1701 have been saying all along. 

Here are the stats. Paramount sunk an extra 50 million into ITD... but domestically (US) it took in 30 million less! The good news is it did (almost) 70 million more in worldwide sale, so the net result was a gain of 40 million. 

So they did make more, but they risked an extra 50 million to not quite double yer money. 

My read is that I could see Paramount returning Star Trek to more modest budgets and relegated back to "Holiday" release schedule. 

Time will tell I guess.

#34 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

What about the big picture? Ticket sales plus merchandising? I know IronMan 3 had literally had a ton of merchandising deals going on, which brought in tons of money im sure. When you factor in that with ticket sales, i would think Into Darkness is not nearly as successful as it could have been. If your going for the demographic that only buys a movie ticket or will wait for it to hit redbox or netflix before they watch it, then it seems like CBS/Paramount are losing out on a lot of money that could be made in merchandising. If Into Darkness made a lot of money from people who dont buy Dvds or Blurays or other movie related merchandise, how can it really be called successful? In 2009 Walmart in Wilmington had a packed rack of Star Trek 2009 movies and the Transformers movie that came out that year. That same rack with 90% of the movies are still sitting there. I dont think its been restocked, i just dont think the movie sold that well. It just seems like common sense to me that something like Star Trek should be marketed to people who have shown they will buy movies and merchandise.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

but they have different expectations I think for each of those which is why they break those out. its not that STID did poorly... it just didn't do as well as they expected. but yes... I get your point and agree. Maybe the 20-30 something just don't buy dvd's anymore when they can stream every thing?

#36 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think the demographic that Paramount is going for is a completely new audience that can give new life to the franchise..... You guys cant deny that its mostly a numbers game with franchises...and the old regime (us) just werent supporting the franchise. ( Nemesis proved this..) People rumbled that the original trek was all that was worth while...and considering that Deforest and James had passed....I mean what is a studio to do? They did exactly what one would logically expect...Reboot!!!

Wouldnt it be nice if time didnt apply and we could just have all our favorite Trek actors stay young and have the studios produce new traditional Trek forever...but this isnt science fiction..... I for one embrace change because it saves a lot of heart aches.... Do you guys really want to tell me that STID was worse than the FinalFrontier??? Sure FF had some great elements but overall it was a smelly pile.....just because it had our favorite actors in it doesnt mean it was good. It had the creative genius of Spocks Brain meets Galactica 1980!!!

As far as merchandising goes.... Star Trek took a heavy hit as the franchise declined....It will take time for brand confidence to rebuild.. The 2009 Playmates debacle is stuff of legend and only injured the name even worse.... its going to take time...especially as our economy grows and people have more disposable income.

#37 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

.....and yes gothneo...I agree streaming is a big reason sales are down for video sales.

#38 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

A completely new audience? I think that Star Trek should just cease production rather than trying to change to suit a new audience. When TNG came along in 1987, they didnt throw out everything that made Star Trek, Star Trek in order to appeal to a new audience. They built upon what TOS had already achieved and made it even better. The JJ trek is doing just the opposite, throw everything out the window and see how much you can tear down from before. I like the actors, but i hate the storyline, the alternate timeline BS and the destruction of Vulcan, the changed Klingons, etc. What would have been great with me is have the crew in the prime universe, on the 5 year mission, with new adventures, not redo the ones we have already seen. Sorry about the rant, wish i had a dish of plomeek soup to throw at the wall.

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

one more thought before i go to bed.Past Star Trek movies performed much better than these last two. The JJ movies might look like they made a lot of money, but think about these numbers. STTMP had a budget of 35 million dollars and made almost 140 million worldwide, about 4 times what the budget was. It was only released in between 800 and 1000 theaters during its run. Ticket prices back in 1979 were $1.50 to 1.75 for matinees and around 2.50 after 6pm.

Into Darkness had an estimated budget of $190 million, was released in up to 4000 theaters with ticket prices from 7.50 to 16 dollars for imax and only made 457 million worldwide. They made a little over twice what their budget was. Large numbers dont mean success. It looks to me that STTMP out performed Into Darkness by a very large margin in tickets sold and profit. TWOK had a budget of only 11 million dollars and turned out to be one of the best movies ever, making 9 times its budget back in profit.  STTMP had a ton of merchandising deals going too, who knows how much was made off of that. I lay odds that a large portion of the people watching STTMP were hardcore fans and collectors. 

#40 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

You should read some of the articles that were written about the way the fans at vegas trek con determined the order. By todays standards, TMP is pretty boring in allot of ways, but fan reminded people, that back in the 70's when that came out, there was no video rental of trek, or streaming, etc. you could only see an episode in syndication, so spending 10 min to show off the Enterprise was heaven to most fans. 

That would never be done today, because the audience doesn't care since they can rent and stream and pick it apart in detail later.

VF, I think were saying the same kind of thing from two directions. here is the inflation adjusted grosses and rankings! and you can see, ITD is 4th doing juuuust a bit better than TWOK. And yes, they sold less tickets and made more money with TMP and TVH. and this is why I suggested that the paramount execs might relegate star trek back to a holiday release schedule as they want to know that they will make good money back for their investment, and good money is more than just double!

the list can be seen at

http://www.boxoffice...id=startrek.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users