Nurse Ogawa, please report to sickbay

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

Has anyone heard anything about Ensign Ro and Nurse Ogawa? Anything at all? I figured Knightone, or maybe Rick, know something about them. They were seen and we reported to be released as exclusives with the Crusher wave, but I have heard nothing about them at all.

I will be very disheartened if they are never released since they are two of my favorite Trek characters ever! ohmy.gif

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

I think you have as much information as anyone outside of DST has. No new announcements or anything since we saw the pictures. That's the one thing that stinks about watching the con events, the figures aren't necessarily gonna come out.

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hi Chalk, good to see you over here. Welcome aboard. biggrin.gif

#4 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Mar 4 2007, 05:40 PM) View Post

Hi Chalk, good to see you over here. Welcome aboard. biggrin.gif

Thanks for pointing the way, Knight. tongue.gif

#5 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

#6 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

I definitely hope to see Ogawa very soon!

#7 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

I would buy Ro before Ogawa. I always like Ro's character but never had much of an opinion on Ogawa. Also I hated the sculpt of the face for the Ogawa figure. All she needed was a giant oversized dune buggy and the figure would have been a perfect caricature.

#8 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

I don't think there would be any good reason for AA/DST to look at their role as filling in the gaps of the Playmates collection. Of the 3 Troi's we got sculpted, those are the 3 Troi's that make sense to do. A pilot Troi or Season 1 Troi wouldn't have been sellable *except* as a hole filler for a Playmates collection which looks fundamentally different anyway. I think their approach of doing signature version of all the main characters is the sensible approach. The market is different than when Playmates had it. The best approach is to start the line new and let their figures stand on their own. Playmates had an amazing run at a time the Star Trek brand had a lot of support in the market. DST doesn't get to do that, so I think keeping it simple makes sense. I still hope they can expand a little and give us comparatively easy variants and bonus figures like Ro and Ogawa, but I think the core of their approach is just the best way to approach the property.

#9 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm all about the extra characters.

Ogawa, Ro, Reg, a random S1 engineer!...hell, I'd be extatic to see anyone they can make.

But with the way things are going...they may have to be sacrificed for the time being.

There is likely still a few years left for DST's Trek, so hopefully they will be able to release them one day, even if not with the second half of wave 4.

I agree Ogawa is somewhat cartoonish....but no more than many of the others we have seen....Data for example. Both have that 'no quite real' feeling...though are both awesome figures.

But hey, I was a supporter of the smiling Ogawa, so she doesn't bother me in that sense....& I hope they do the same for Jake Sisko & Neelix. biggrin.gif

#10 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

I liked the way she looked too. Don't make me have to find all the smiley Ogawa shots again. laugh.gif That's the way I remember her, very lighthearted and happy. I like that her figure will reflect that.

#11 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

I like both Ro and Ogawa and would love to see them get released at some point. It wouldn't kill me if they didn't, but it would be nice to have them.

#12 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Mar 7 2007, 07:31 PM) View Post

I liked the way she looked too. Don't make me have to find all the smiley Ogawa shots again. laugh.gif That's the way I remember her, very lighthearted and happy. I like that her figure will reflect that.

Yeah, but the figure makes it look like she got a whiff of that Smilex gas that the Joker used to kill off Gotham City in the 1989 Batman movie (anyone here old enough to remember that movie with Michael Keaton as Batman?). Let her smile, but not like a member of the Killer Clown Posse from Outer Space!!!

Like Artisitx said, I'm happy with anyone that they make. I like fhaving a large crew to display. I know this isn't being realistic, but it would be nice to have people like Ensign Leffler, Ensign Sonya Gomez or even Ensign Sito Jax instead of just random engineers.

But, having Ro and Ogawa would be nice to have more bodies and to balance out the male to female ratio we have going.

#13 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Mar 7 2007, 07:50 PM) View Post

Yeah, but the figure makes it look like she got a whiff of that Smilex gas that the Joker used to kill off Gotham City in the 1989 Batman movie (anyone here old enough to remember that movie with Michael Keaton as Batman?).

Yes, I do. I was 12 that year, and it was very refreshing to me to see a more "realistic" Batman than old Adam West re-runs on the local broadcast channel. I remember thinking "...that's the way Batman SHOULD be!"

Unfortunately, the sequels proved positively craptacular... but oh well.

As for Ogawa, The smile is a bit too broad, but not bad. If she were smiling but not showing teeth, I think it would be better. She always did seem to walk around the sickbay happy, didn't she?

If I were to collect secondary characters in ernest and name good possibilities that haven't been mentioned... I would say (and I would in no way shape or form expect them to be made):

First, a Nova squadron pair: Cadet Wesley and Cadet Tom Par... I mean Nick Locarno (it's an oportunity to re-use the Tom Paris sculpt and a Cadet Wesley body, so it could be done pretty cheap, IMO),

Vash

Boothby

Hugh

Lursa & B'hetor

Ambassador Spock & Commander Sela

Cortan Zweller and/or Marta Batanides from Tapestry,

#14 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

#15 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(LwaxanaLover @ Mar 8 2007, 06:49 AM) View Post

Cheerleader Troi should have been released as "All Good Things..." Troi. She wasn't in the future timeline but she was in the past and every "All Good Things..." character released so far has been an entirely new sculpt so Troi could have been included.

Yeah... I think they should have done cheerleader Troi and Tasha for the AGT line, but...

#16 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

They really could have included a skant Troi with AGT figures....I hadn't thought of that. But she likely would have had the S7 hair. They would have had to make new arms & legs for her as well...not something they seemed to be doing with AGT figures.

The rest of the crew managed to sneak in quite a few different sculpts & heads....Deanna only really received 2 different torso's & hair pieces (I think) & one was nothing like her hair!

I really like her figures....but she did receive slightly less love than the rest of the crew.

#17 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 8 2007, 05:06 PM) View Post

They really could have included a skant Troi with AGT figures....I hadn't thought of that. But she likely would have had the S7 hair. They would have had to make new arms & legs for her as well...not something they seemed to be doing with AGT figures.

The rest of the crew managed to sneak in quite a few different sculpts & heads....Deanna only really received 2 different torso's & hair pieces (I think) & one was nothing like her hair!

I really like her figures....but she did receive slightly less love than the rest of the crew.

Why, Artistix? WHY?!? Why must you bring up Troi's hair again?!? Just when I was getting my blood pressure down about that mockery of herhair you mention it and get me all riled up (and not in a good way like you normally do!)!!! blink.gif

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

He's worried about all their hair. It's a hair thing LOL

#19 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

I'm trying to remember, is this thread about Nurse Ogawa, wish lists or Troi's hair unsure.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif Reel it on end and get back on topic, here I'll help wink.gif I wouldn't worry too much about this or the other figures in that wave. Just because DST is being coy and not promising anything, doesn't mean the figures won't get produced smile.gif It definately looks like DST is taking the license seriously by re-evaluating the license and not promising folks things that may never happen. Keep the faith for the time being and try to look on the positive at the moment. These figures will eventually find homes, DST just isn't ready to say how just yet.

#20 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

I wouldn't pick one up if she gets made, but a Ro figure I would love to get.

I do hope DST releases Ogawa, Ro and other secondary characters down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users