• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Since we don't seem to have a dedicated thread for this yet, I thought I'd get one started.

DST revealed a somewhat unexpected TNG Phaser roleplay toy at NYTF'15 last week. It's wonderfully representative of many of the phasers seen between seasons 3 and 7 of TNG.

To start the discussion, I'll just round up every image I can find of the thing...
DST%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BNext%2BGenerat
DST%2BStar%2BTrek%2BSearch%2BFor%2BSpock
DST%2BStar%2BTrek%2BSearch%2BFor%2BSpock
Toy-Fair-2015-Diamond-Select-Toys-015.jp <- NOZZLE!!!
Toy-Fair-2015-Diamond-Select-Toys-016.jp
Toy-Fair-2015-Diamond-Select-Toys-018.jp

Finally! A TNG phaser for righties!

I really hope the setting buttons make that delightful little >PREE PREE< sound.

I wonder will this have any interior-guts play feature, like the Enterprise Phase Pistol and the Playmates STV/VI Assault Phaser did?

#2 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

I also hope it has the little bleeps for adjusting the power setting! *fingers crossed*

It'd also be fantastic if the power buttons worked as intended (plus and minus) as opposed to playmates 'stun and kill'.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

I wonder if the hand grips will be painted plastic or rubber inserts?.... I guess its a lot to ask for rubber inserts. I don't think the Hero props even had that.

#4 Loggy

Loggy

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

This was really welcome news, and it's something that I've been hanging out for since the first TOS phasers were released. Way back in 2009 (or thereabouts) I got a question published in AskDST about them making a TNG phaser following the success of the TOS stuff, and whomever answered the question quite was vehemently against any TNG-Tek; something along the lines of "thanks for asking, we're just not that into it." It's nice to see a reversal of that opinion, albeit half a dozen years later.

It's a very nice sculpt, and I would love some rubber grips. I have a Ruby's TNG phaser, and while it is fun to toss it around, those plastic grips do feel a bit... well... plastic-y (what a genius I am), the sculpt seems somewhat oversized and the limitations of the sounds are a bit limiting (the genius strikes again). Adjustable power levels seem to be likely, because they have done it with the TOS phasers. Lights would be similarly lovely. I just hope this will be released and it doesn't disappear into the 'nice to haves' of the past, with some folks having suggested this may be vaporwear.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

I feel this phaser is def the right entry point to TNG Trek Tek. Eventually, I think they need to get an away team set the same way they have one for TOS, and a comm badge with voice sounds would be nice, and eventually a Tric.

I actually like the speaker design of the dolphin more, but this is more iconic IMO. 

#6 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

What would be cool is if they included a feature where you could 'un-lock' different settings by fiddling with the power settings, like Data did in "The Arsenal of Freedom" (Despite that being a S1, 'Dustbuster' Phaser). I think that'd enhance the fun of it.

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I really dont know much about the Cobra head Phaser, did this one have the removable type 1 like the TOS era phasers? I know they had a small handheld one in TNG. 

#8 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

There is no such thing as a stupid question. No, they did not have the removable Phaser one. They had an independent Phaser one dubbed the 'cricket' Phaser due to it's size.

#9 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

I'd love to have a cricket that is the right size.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

Yep. A cricket would be another good choice. In fact, that would make sense to add to a TNG away-team box. 

#11 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

I was thinking that DST could do a "Cricket 2-Pack". It could include the all silver season 1 Cricket and the tri-colored season 3 thru 5. They are the same prop just with a different paint scheme.

#12 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:33 AM

Yeah that would be perfect. :)

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Well... lets get the ST III Phaser 1st, then the TNG and then worry about a cricket! At the pace we get trek tek that seems like a long way off.

#14 Cpt. Ransome

Cpt. Ransome

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

I am really looking forward to this phaser as well. I have always liked the "cobra head" phaser. I still have the playmates version from the 90's from when I was a kid. My hope is that it is as good, if not better, than a master replicas type of prop. Hey DST, I'm still hoping for a ST:V and ST:VI Assult phaser, lord knows how much those playmates versions are

Assault_Original.jpg

And since you are now doing TNG Trek Tek how about a "Dustbuster" phaser, I'm really hoping for one of these.

PRP1745BU_b.png

#15 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

^

I second that! :)

#16 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

Dustbuster phaser? But where would they put the screw holes?

#17 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

I think we chose Cobra head OVER Dustbuster, dolphin or boomerang, at least for the first release. If it does amazing, who knows.

#18 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

I think we chose Cobra head OVER Dustbuster, dolphin or boomerang, at least for the first release. If it does amazing, who knows.

The TNG phaser looks great. What is the difference in the two ST 3 phasers? If it hadn't been already asked.

#19 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

The TNG phaser looks great. What is the difference in the two ST 3 phasers? If it hadn't been already asked.

I believe the new one with the side charging port is based on an unused pre-production prototype? People here will know more than me, I was only told its origins at Toy Fair.

#20 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

Wow, that's a pretty obscure variant.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Phaser, Star Trek The Next Generatio, Diamond Select Toys, Roleplay, Toy

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users