Photo

Star Trek TNG 25th Anniversary is in 2012

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: TNG 25th Anniversary (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be any toy acknowledgement?

1. Yes, absolutely (32 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No, let it alone (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yes, okay...it's another fantasy thread. I know we're all pretty "over it" but I'm bored at work and therefore thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this topic. Don't worry. If this sits here unanswered my feelings won't be hurt. Just thought I'd see what happened.

Personally, I'd use 2012 to really push the new Star Trek movie and The Next Generation (especially since I feel that, for better or worse, TOS has been over-saturated as of late in the toy arena) and that they could feed off each other from a marketing standpoint. "A New Generation for 'The Next Generation'" kind of deal.

Let the postulating begin!

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

There should be some stuff, of course. Mostly "Encounter at Farpoint" commemorative figures.

Namely a Picard/Q two-pack. This would be a re-release of the captain's chair Picard with a new judge's robes Q figure.

Then there should be a wave with Data, Yar, Worf, and a re-release of Riker (or replace Riker with Geordi or Beverly). Troi would be nice, but she might require too many new parts to make her viable. Other than Q, these could use a lot of existing parts, with just new torsos and new hair for some like Worf and Beverly. And, of course, a new head for Yar.

A dustbuster phaser Trek Tek release would be nice as well, with a working power meter of course!

Then we'll see how the sales go from there.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

I like the way your thinking!

Just for the sales perspective, I think 2-packs with a re-release of Picard & Riker makes sense. The question is who to stick in the two pack.

Worf would be the easiest, requiring a new head sculpt and different sash. The rest pretty much need a new torso, but if I were forced to choose between a Data and Yar, I'd pick Yar.

So it might make sense to make it a Picard/Worf and Riker/Yar 2-pack, though the pairings make little sense, the way they would cost out would probably be about the same.

If they sold well, I think they could leverage the Yar Torso for Crusher, and do Data. WHile i'd love to see Troi, it might be tough unless the sales were really there.

#4 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

If I were DST and looking to do figures... hmmm.. Riker/Worf, Data/Yar and a Picard in 1st season command chair (when it had the wooden arms) True, Data would cost a bit more, but if by chance they did sell, then the line becomes much more easily expandable by using the Data body for LaForge, and Yar body for Beverly. Troi's catsuit and/or cheerleader uniform would make it hard to justify making her figure, since it really isn't transferable to any other figure.

More than any figure, though, I think they'd be better off releasing a limited edition ship: 1701 of an all silver painted Enterprise D with a redesigned stand, each featuring a placard hand-signed by one of 3 principal cast members (567 of each sig) ... It's a relatively cheap way to cash in on it (depending on whose sigs you can get) since they've already got the E-D mold.

#5 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

Or they could introduce a line of TNG Retro- Mego Style figures. I'd love it if they re-released that old Galoob Wave and did some of the un-released Galoob product Wesley, Romulan and that Enterprise-D bridge/transporter/ship playset. I wish Playmates would have done something similar to this concept in 2009, only better articulated with electronic playsets.

#6 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

Would love to see TNG get brought back into the toy mix...I miss seeing the stuff in the toy section...actually makes me long for the good ol' Playmates days in the toy isles! smile.gif

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (e236 @ Jul 2 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...makes me long for good ol' Playmates in the toy isles! smile.gif

You can re-create that feeling by going to big lots these days! roflmao.gif

#8 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

25th anniversary would be a good way to get Tasha and Gunian out for sure. Do Guinan with a Picard release...maybe him in the all grey uniform and then do Tasha with S1 Worf would make the most sense.

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Id love to see Tasha with an unarticulated Armus blob. Maybe a can of black "ooze" too!

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

BBM... your back!

#11 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I think they should acknowledge TNG's 25th by bringing out several action figures, 4 Captain Kirks from Star Trek: Generations.
'Orbital Sky Diving Kirk', 'Enterprise B Bridge Kirk', 'Sucked into space and turned inside-out Kirk', and of course, 'bruised cut and dead Kirk'.

On a more serious (but unfortunately unrealistic note:( ), I'd love to see TNG Trek-tech. Cobra Phaser, Mark 7 Tricorder, and maybe even a Phaser Rifle. I don't collect figures, just props and ships, so anything from those categories would please me immensely. smile.gif

#12 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

I absolutely agree that "Encounter at Farpoint" would be a great way to celebrate the 25th Anniversary. I think I would do it in one of two ways.

Option A: The safe and cautious way that I think would kind of suck
Two Pack: Captain Picard (re-release) and Q in season 1 uniform
Tek: Dustbuster Phaser
Ship: 1701-D Re-Release with "Encounter at Farpoint" quotes

OR

Option B: The Ambitious Way that might lead to a revitalization of 24th Cent. Trek
Figures: WAVE ONE: Picard, Riker, Data, Yar, Judge Q WAVE TWO: Worf, LaForge, Crusher, Troi (bun), Daemon Bok TWO PACK: Wes/Traveler
Tek: Dusbuster Phaser and Tricorder
Ship: 1701-D Re-Release; Encounter at Farpoint Glowing Alien

Of course, I would time this all with the HD-Remastered Season One with newly updated visual and audio effects.

And hey...if this went over well...on to season two! (Replace Yar and Crusher with Guinan and Pulaski and replace Data and Picard with Sherlock Holmes and Dixon Hill...Update the others' uniforms...Aliens are "Classic" Borg, K'Ehlyr, and Pakled. I may have too much time on my hands at work)

#13 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hopefully, it will be something in between those two options, Weyoun. A little risk, just so we collectors can get something new, fresh, and different. But not so risky that the retailers are stuck with a bunch of unsold merchandise.

We probably won't see something more than one wave plus a two pack (maybe two). Probably only one Tek release (since they take so long to develop). And since we already have the 1701-D, I'd rather see a Ferengi Marauder or a Romulan Warbird or something to match it. But another run of the D is probably more likely than an entirely new ship since it is cheaper and the time and money it takes to develop a new ship can be prohibitive.

That still wouldn't be bad, though. Half a dozen or so figures, a Tek release, and a re-release of a fantastic ship release would still pretty good.

#14 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

I think a series of DST designed/ Playmates produced 3 3/4" two packs similar to what was discussed for TOS that didn't see release. I have a feeling that's what we will probably see in 2012. Probably nothing before that. It'll be DST and Playmates teamed up or possibly a changing of the guard for primary license holder. If that happens my fingers are crossed for Hasbro, but I'd be more than willing to give DST/Playmates a second chance. Watch the TNG episode "Cause and Effect" guys because ya'll have been stuck in this loop for a while. 2012 it's going to have to be done right!

#15 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

The license will pick up steam just in time for the end of days on December 12. wink.gif

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jul 5 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The license will pick up steam just in time for the end of days on December 12. wink.gif

Maybe Captain Kirk will come back in time to save the world and maybe he will take back a few oil soaked Cajuns with him. rolleyes.gif I'll get my bags packed.

#17 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Just in time for Christmas on the Bayou Bird of Prey. lol

#18 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'd be happy if they acknowledged the anniversary with just something relatively simple like a Season 1 Data/Yar 2-pack.

#19 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Anything to do with Yar would be awesome. The Data 2-pack makes sense.

Troi wouldn't be that hard to do. It's a new hairpiece which others require anyway. Couldn't they just use the jumpsuit & paint it green? Maybe add a little plastic belt which is a seperate piece.

Ofcourse if you are talking skant Troi...there is no chance.

#20 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jul 6 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be happy if they acknowledged the anniversary with just something relatively simple like a Season 1 Data/Yar 2-pack.

I'd take that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users