• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#21 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Here is a larger scale view of the Kirk figure from the new E spectrum. you can click on the image for a upclose view. Kirk What a disappointment. No wrist articulation, the face is awful, the boots look way too wide, the pants cuffs look kind of weird. Ughh.

#22 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

The face is very bad but I wasnt even counting that into my disapointment. I was just talking about the uniform and the way it fits on the figure. That is bad enough on its own without even lookig at the horrible likeness.

#23 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

It looks as bad as the larger scale figures from 24 & SG1.

#24 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

I just cant believe that DST would be that inept to think that even kirk collectors would buy that for $50-75. Im sure some will get bought, but I cant imagine that i would be very many. For them complaining about how tight money is and how cost is such a factor, to put a piece of junk out like that while complaining just doesnt seem right to me. Redirect that money into something else that would have a better possibility to sell or do the project right in the first place. Ive had the same thoughts on the 1/4 SG1 stuff too. It just completely boggles my mind.

#25 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hahahahaha... this looks.... funny.

Personally for me: No need to worry about these and of course no need at all to buy.

Its simply too *dst quote on* hyper-realistic *dst quote off* for me. Bahahahahaha... wink.gif

LoT

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(skeletor @ Apr 8 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe NECA should take this line over
I think they would probably do a better job. I think they do amazing faces on their figures.

I wasn't aware the NECA did anything in 1/4 or 1/6 scale. Do they?

Folks,

DST is branching out into a new area with 1/6 and 1/4 scale collectibles, and as anytime when a business tries something new, there are bound to be growing pains.

I'd like to see DST succeed in the market, but I have to agree that the Kirk portrait looks pretty bad.

I've not seen anything to get me really excited about this new line, larger scale should mean more/better detail, not less.

#27 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:05 AM

Yeah.. definite pass for me. Maybe for $20, but certainly no more.

#28 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:08 AM

How does a company have no pride in their work? They cant honestly look at that figure (along with the 24 and SG1 1/4 figs) and say that this is really the best that they can do. Very rarely do you see a compant take steps backward in terms of scuplting and quality. New stuff should at least look as good if not better than stuff previously released. I tire of the attitude of "well here it is and you should buy it because it says star trek and you should be lucky that you get any star trek stuff at all." You look at the high end collectors market of Trek stuff specifically the MR props and they seem to be selling well. This really could have fit into that niche if only done correctly.

#29 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

I would have bought the "growing pains" thing for the first wave of 1/4 scale figures (24)and maybe the second (SG1)but this is now the third and the "growing pains" excuse now becomes a steaming pile of BS...and now they have picked up the Star wars license for the same scale. I realy hope that they do them better becuase if they dont that could realy hurt them as a toy company. I understrand cost cutting and trying to find a niche that can reuse allot of the same parts but come on. They have to at least look good.

#30 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Apr 8 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The face is very bad but I wasnt even counting that into my disapointment. I was just talking about the uniform and the way it fits on the figure. That is bad enough on its own without even lookig at the horrible likeness.

Yeah, everyone's focusing on the awful likeness, but the uniform looks much worse.

#31 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Apr 9 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, everyone's focusing on the awful likeness, but the uniform looks much worse.

I think the entire thing is a train-wreck. I looked at the head sculpt first horrible (looks like a modern day animated version), then I looked at the shirt and was equally disgusted then I got to the boots and thought...WOW, this is really a piece of crap. Not one redeeming thing about the entire figure.

#32 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

I have to admit I was disappointed too. That says alot because I love all of DST's Trek stuff to this point.

#33 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

They should've spent the money on Bajoran-suit Kira instead.

#34 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(LocutusOfTuborg @ Apr 9 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its simply too *dst quote on* hyper-realistic *dst quote off* for me. Bahahahahaha... wink.gif

The hyper-realistic comment made me laugh as well....though it was a laugh of frustration & disbelief!

QUOTE(Jedigreedo @ Apr 10 2008, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They should've spent the money on Bajoran-suit Kira instead.

Indeed...I could think of plenty of areas the money spent on this abomination could have been better used.

#35 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I just saw the sale price for this at Amazing Toys is going to be $63.99 which is honestly about $53.99 more than I would pay for it. I would probably go $49.99 if they were decent quality like sideshow or even Majestic.

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I think DST is going to lose their shirts quicker than Kirk on an Orion planet.

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Apr 10 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think DST is going to lose their shirts quicker than Kirk on an Orion planet.

I think you may be right. Wonder how bad the sales of those awful Landing party statues were?They should have lost money on them as well. Maybe DST will learn eventually.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

Well, it really comes down to what the expectations of each line are. How many are produced and at what price point to make a profit.

DST shows the the Landing party statues as sold out on their website... which does mean that they aren't readily available out there, but I would think that does mean they sold their inventory to retailers. Now weather or not retailers can move them is another issue!

these will be no different. I see them up for pre-order for about $65 ea. To me, that's too much to spend on these, but if people that collect all things Kirk, or Spock buy them in onesies and Twosies, then they will sell through eventually.

I think these will appeal to an "Eclectic" collector, but to people like myself that like a more organized display of crews and scale bits... "It just not my Bag Baby!"

#39 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

Didn't the first pictures of the 1/4 scale line come out with both a Kirk and a Spock, cuz I can almost swear I saw one of Spock, then when I went to go find it again to save it, I couldn't find it...ugh!

#40 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(BadBunnyMike @ Sep 16 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't the first pictures of the 1/4 scale line come out with both a Kirk and a Spock, cuz I can almost swear I saw one of Spock, then when I went to go find it again to save it, I couldn't find it...ugh!

I think your are mixing DST up with sideshow, they did relaes 3 star trek 1/4 scale figures/ statues (kirk, spock and two version of seven)
as far as I know Spock is yet to be shown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users