Photo

Help needed for a prop novice please......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,..... I've just gotten hold of a resin 'Boomerang' phaser. It's unpainted and I 'think' I'm up to the task.....Ive got plenty of primer and satin black for the grip and emitter, but what kind of silver would I need for the best finish?....bearing in mind I'm in the UK so brand names like Testors aren't available here....

I thank everyone in advance.....

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

I would say a pewter color is what ive seen most people use. Ive never done one myself though.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

I'll get you the proper color code when I get home.

#4 Terry

Terry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Curry, Creating stuff and computers: in that order. :-)

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:47 AM

My advice would be to go to your local car parts shop and look for a nice gun metal colour (not necassarally called gun metal, but one thats looks like gun metal).

I've heard also that a 'splash' of silver just before the gun metal colour has dried completely works well. When I say splash, I mean a very fine mist of the silver on top of the already sprayed, but not completely dried top coat.

A good tip also is to polish each DRY coat with a 'dusting' polishing cloth, you know, those yellow ones. This will give a good finish.

Bottom line here, if you give the paint job a good foundation i.e. rubdown with a fine wet/dry paper followed by a couple of coats of undercoat, the top coat won't peel off after handling a few times.

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Boomerang Phaser

- Plasti-kote # 7173 = 85 GM Code 15 - (in Canada) Motomaster 47-8300-8/47-0283-6

This is what I used on mine

#6 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

If you can't find the exact color, any automotive paint in medium or medium-dark gray/charcoal metallic will do. It will look a shade or two darker than it looks on screen just because the studio lights make the color look lighter but it shouldn't be as silver as it looks on TV.

#7 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hey all Its me back again! I really dont have a lot of spare time, hence it taking me this long to try anything with this replica.

I thought I was up to it, but apparently not. I made a total Dogs breakfast of it in fact!

Do any of you kind folks have any tips to safely strip this without damaging the resin so I can try again?

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Yes buy some of this

http://www.staples.c...-_-494052-13005

You can find it just about everywhere for about $10 a gallon. Then just let it set in it for a few days and it'll scrub off with a firm brush without hurting the resin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users