Yes, another animated series will be coming to CBS All Access:

https://www.hollywoo...-access-1174218

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

Good lord! shouldn't they get one of the 4 other shows on the air before announcing more??

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Aimed at children but will probably have crude humor on it like many animated shows do today.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

I think the only children shows I even see are those on PBS... which are pretty clean.. so Which animated shows aimed at children use crude humor? 

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Simpsons, American Dad and the like. They may not be specifically aimed at children but children are attracted to animated shows regardless of the quality of the show.

#6 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Im all for more Trek, but they really need to slow down here with these announcements.

Give Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks some time to air and mature before announcing more.

3 shows at once is enough for now, dont need another.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:11 AM

Right they are not made for or targeting or aimed at children... thy are considered adult animation and include the appropriate parental warnings... in fact the whole idea of adult swim is that its a late night show for adults.

Kids are attracted to all kinds of stuff ment for adults. Heck kids like sitcoms and stuff that makes them laugh. Parents need to do their part too.

Yeah Im with you Alteran, too many announcements too fast can lead to disappointment and backlash.

#8 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

Prejudice from "fans" doesn't help. Some people act as if jumping to conclusions counts as exercise.  :P

Animated series generally take quite a while longer to produce than live-action series, despite costing less. Announcing it now doesn't mean it'll be out any time soon unless they're going the South Park route, and there's no reason to believe that.

Just because a series is animated doesn't mean it's aimed at children and even if that's the target demographic, that doesn't mean it won't appeal to adults. 

And they're right; they need to appeal to a younger generation since the existing fans are literally dying off.

Very few us of appreciate Trek in all forms, certainly not enough to sustain the entire franchise. Discovery was aimed at moviegoers who enjoyed the Abrams films. The Picard series is squarely aimed at second-generation fans. Starfleet Academy can bring in the YA market. Lower Decks is CBS' answer to The Orville. Cartoons available outside CBS All Access (perhaps on Nickelodeon) might bring in an even younger crowd.

No single Star Trek series can appeal to everyone but it seems the goal in offering such a variety of material is to ensure there's something out there for as many Trek fans as possible. 

Optimism, folks.

#9 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

Well....Star Wars, in hindsight, easily transitioned to both live action + animation.  However, they did so by making sure their animated series were good enough.  Derpy Kurtz better try for the same.

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

Or it'll end up on Nickelodeon, which makes slightly more sense.

https://www.hollywoo...on-deal-1186419

#11 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

Still coming:

https://www.startrek...odeon-animation

I'm looking forward to seeing art from this show.

#12 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

Coming in 2021 but will Star Trek: Prodigy truly be exclusive to Nickelodeon or will it stream on CBS All Access as well?

https://www.startrek...igy-has-arrived

I know nothing about the tone of this show but if it's deliberately different from the goofy Lower Decks cartoon, my hope is that Nick is shooting for Avatar: The Last Airbender in overall quality. This could end up being the more mature of the two series.

#13 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

It's being made by some of the people who have worked on Trollhunters, so I'm expecting something similar in quality in terms of writing. Sounds like an interesting premise, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. 

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:25 AM

If its to air on Nickelodeon then it will be for children and not really for adults... I say that a bit tongue in cheek as Nick has had some cartoon shows that, while aimed at children where controversial, maybe most notably Ren & Stimpy. But I can't see them going that direction... maybe there are other new shows that are that edgy but I don't think so.

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

Hmmmm... just read that Nickelodean is part of Viacom and is going to be added to CBS's AA streaming service, so... seems like you will get to stream the NICK show... if you have AA.

#16 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

The announcement states Prodigy will be "the first Star Trek series aimed at younger audiences." Nickelodeon's demographic is primarily ages 2-17 but that doesn't preclude a show that has broader appeal that its target audience. Hopefully after working with Guillermo del Toro and Lord & Miller the showrunners have picked up a thing or two about that.

I'm certainly not expecting "Starfleet Babies."

#17 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

Prodigy has a director/co-executive producer/creative lead.

https://www.startrek...znI_7T-vrTaP6Y4

After seeing his work on Codehunters (which predates Borderlands, by the way), I'm really looking forward to the look of this new series.

https://youtu.be/OmeP1YkaeTo

#18 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:01 PM

In the show description they mention that a group of lawless teenagers find a derelict Star Fleet vessel.....that they take to find their way. This could work out pretty good if its set in the Mirror Universe and it shows a young group in that dystopia trying to live by the principles of The United Federation of Planets.

#19 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

In the show description they mention that a group of lawless teenagers find a derelict Star Fleet vessel.....that they take to find their way. This could work out pretty good if its set in the Mirror Universe and it shows a young group in that dystopia trying to live by the principles of The United Federation of Planets.

The Defiant, perhaps?

#20 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:01 PM

Prodigy keeps looking better and better. Check out those screen shots in this casting announcement. Very nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users