• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Robster.... I think I wish I could be a more Zen collector like you and sit back and just enjoy without buying... but then there is another part of me that really wants to get down in those trenches and just buy buy buy !!! I have very few vices in my life and if toys truly are a vice...I think they are a fairly innocent one.... That said I still probably need an intervention lol....

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Robster, nice story about Marina Sirtis. I met and got an autograph at that same booth one year I was at Comic Con and had a similar experience (though we didn't swap tattoo stories!).   She is an absolute sweet heart and takes time to chat with fans a bit and enjoy the entire event. I love meeting and talking to Trek folks at events like that vs say the creation events where they really push people through the event. 

I have a complete collection of Planet of the Apes figures from SSC. They aren't at HT levels, but I love them. When Hot Toys did a set of POA Apes I picked them all up. I think I dropped about $280 for all three figures and I thought that was some cash at the time. Now HT gets about $280 for a single deluxe figure. 

As others have said, regardless of the price if your a fan of the property and like 1/6 scale, finding the right piece is heaven. I can't say I've ever regretted getting a figure because of the quality... but I have picked some up because I wanted it to go with the display... and these figures are expensive to be background filler stuff!

#23 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yeah,more Zen like,that's good. LOL! I'm not really that Zen like though. Over the years I have gotten better at focusing,and concentrating,myself or my mind,whatever you wanna call it,lol. With a mild case of that adhd thing,you kinda have to. That said,I do have the perfect job,lol! The kids LOVE it when I....don't bother restraining myself,the people I work with?....not so much. They either want me to just go home,or don't understand why I'm so......wild. Even though I HAVE explained it to them on numerous occasions. I keep no secrets,lol!

So with a LOT of practice over the years,I finally got better at not just throwing myself over toys at various toy stores screaming,OMGTHISSOF***INGCOOLIHAVETOBUYIT!!!!!!,and just quietly go,WOW!,this is REALLY cool! I'll buy it.

Do I miss the days of going totally ballistic every time I saw a cool toy or collectible? I actually don't. I STILL get excited but in a different way. I get VERY talkative and very.....I laugh a lot,LOL! And go WEEEEEEE!!!!,like Max the pig,lol! Do I care that people stare at me like I'm some kinda nutcase? No,I just compose myself and say,just happy that I found this toy,and walk away. And smile all the way home....I mean,hotel or whoever I'm staying with,since I only do my shopping in the US or UK,WAY too expensive in this dump! lol!

So yeah,Zen like to a point,but walking into stores like Blast from the Past or Big Kid in L.A.? Well,the gloves are off,my brain,mind,restraints are let loose,and I don't have a care in the world.

Yes,Marina is great and gorgeous. I love that the LSFA has Trek guests,and others by the way,every year. I have to admit I sometimes forget to check who's signing upstairs in the sails pavilion. I do try to get up there at least once though,just to see everyone who's sitting there signing. Can't believe some of the prices some them charge for a signed pic though! Which of course takes me back to the snobbery,lol!

I'm a total snob in that regard as I'm not willing to pay 65-75 bucks for someone's autograph. I DID splash out one time at the LondonExpo though,and got five of the guys from ST Enterprise,John,Linda,Dominic,Anthony and Connor. And they were all great people! Talked the longest with Connor,as we had a mutual friend and so on. I like going to conventions,meeting people from tv shows or movies I like,not necessarily get their autograph,just a little chat is perfectly fine as well. Sometimes I meet them on the train going to or from L.A. to attend the con as well,lol!

But what you collect and what makes you happy doing so,that's the important thing here. A McDonalds or Burger King toy can make me VERY happy....yeah,I'm cheap,lol......but so can the latest ship from DST. Or KITT,as some of you well know by now,I love my KITT's,lol! I love the DST DeLorean as well,the EE exclusive with hover conversion,LOVE it! And it doesn't have to cost and arm and a leg or your firstborn. Common sense and a bit of restraint,when you can muster up some of that,lol!,is all it takes. Not always easy of course. Believe me,I KNOW.

Which reminds me,I wanna start a Hallmark thread. I'm curious about that too,lol!

But I guess it really is time to evolve again and become the ultimate snob and go for the expensive QMX ships. I keed,I keed! LOL! They're just overpriced model kits after all,LOL! Nah,I love them.

CRIKEY! This got well long again! My bad. I'll stop now.

J-R!

#24 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hey Robster, have you picked up the 1:18 Die Cast KITT from Hot Wheels? If not I highly recommend it. It is pretty amazing.

#25 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Not yet. Isn't it kinda pricey? Did they do KARR as well in that scale yet? Or is it still just the Retro Entertainment line they did it? Some good stuff there,lol!

Another pricey item is of course those new movie figs of Kirk and Spock. Look kinda anime-ish,but I'll wait for the final product before going all snobbish and sticking my nose up and walk away from them before deciding to get them,lol! Not exactly overflow of new movie toys. Wonder if I'll ever put my big Revell model of new movie Enterprise together?!...... LOL!

J-R!

#26 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I luckily picked one up from Big Bad Toy store for$80 back in November. No KARR yet but I think they are planning one. It goes above and beyond the one Joyride did. I also managed to pick up the SPM KITT from DST a few weeks ago. It's pretty cool too. Like you I am a sucker for Knight Rider stuff.

#27 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

To me,KITT is the coolest on screen car,always has been,always will be. That's why I had to get last years Hallmark Christmas ornament of him as well,lol! And 80 bucks for the HW was a pretty good price. I have the DST one and the Joyride one,which is slightly smaller of course.

I was thinking about the whole snobby thing late last night,and have to admit that just because I buy SOME expensive toys,does it make me a snob? Not really. It's a choice. Like some of you other guys here,I don't have much other stuff I spend money on. I travel to the US and UK,but that's basically to buy said toys,lol. I go to some conventions every year but don't necessarily spend heaps of money there. I don't drink anymore,or any other social outbursts,lol. And still being single helps a LOT too,lol! I really do love the fact that I don't have to care about anyone else and can do whatever I want,when I want. Hence the traveling and meeting new people,going to new places,checking out new stores,toy stores,lol,and just having FUN! Isn't that what life,and this,is about as well?!

Some say I just cruise through life thinking it's a party. Well.....isn't it? It's what you make it out to be yourself. You can be miserable and boring,if you so choose,or you can make the most of it,like I chose to do evetually. After my....dark days....when I finally found out why I'm so weird,life just fell into place and I chose to embrace my toy snob side. It's gotten me a LOT of positive things in life,even if some people don't get it. Especially dads at work,since they're too busy being grown ups with kids and such,lol!

Let's see,I've been in the national newspaper a few times,on tv even more times and even radio.....does that still exist? lol!......when this guy came to my workplace as I couldn't come to the radio station,lol! So yeah,I get around,but it's all FUN! And THAT is the most important thing for me. The day it stops being fun is the day I stop doing all this collecting and traveling and going to cons and such.

And there's obviously a market for all this toy snobbery,or it wouldn't sell out,and go up in value,as fast as it does.

J-R!

#28 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

As long as you are living the life you want and are happy then it really is no one else's business. Now I don't believe you have to be single to be able to have a great fun filled life. I am lucky enough to have found someone who not only accepts me for me and my hobbies but loves to do the same things as me as well. We can pick up and travel whenever we want too. It's a great life.
As far as snobbery goes with collecting I don't think it was meant to mean anything negative but more playfully. I think I would consider myself a snob when it comes to collecting these days. I see some of the stuff that people are buying on the other forums and can't understand why people would spend money on that stuff. But with that being said I don't have to understand it because people like it and it brings them joy. Lol. Just like the higher end stuff brings me joy. Now don't get me wrong, I still pick up cheap figures every now and then but half the time I regret it and end up selling or trading them off. What can I say? I'm only human and sometimes things look cooler than they end up being. Lol. I am sure I will keep on doing it.

#29 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

LOL! Exactly! You said it way better than I did.

J-R!

#30 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I definitely was trying to be silly when I referred to myself as a snob.... I truly enjoy having discerning taste.... but I am glad that people brought up a lot of good points.... Robster I totally agree with the idea you brought up about being true to yourself even if that means we are a bit different by mainstream society standards..... A lot of people in my family make fun of me because I collect toys at 40.... and I can truly say that I think its funny that I confound them !!! I am a happy person and I have no regrets as long as I am treating myself and those I care about well.

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Robster... it *used* to be that if celebs were signing in the sails pavilion, they were required to sign one item for free. If you didn't have something they might sell you a picture, or you could go get something to have them sign it.

D. Crosby was up there signing one year and she Happily signed and chatted with fans about things for free. I recall someone had a Pet Cemetery poster that only needed her signature and she was thrilled to see it and sign it.

#32 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

LOL! I know you were! But I'm really glad you started this thread,'cos I LIKE it! And yes,I too think silly whenever I say I'm a snob. I even laugh at myself sometimes when I see a toy and see the price and stick my nose up and go,mhff. LOL! And then I think,GEE I'm SUCH a snob! LOL! Like I say,as long as it's fun I ain't going anywhere!

Yeah,USED to. Ever since it became big business,it's changed a lot. I understand that of course,some of the celebs pay for the pics themselves and so on,but even in this branch of collecting there are some ridiculous prices. My limit is 25 bucks,30 if it's someone I REALLY NEED! And Crosby was great when I met her at Comic Con. Ditto Chase Masterson. The only one I walked away from thinking,what an a-hole,was Mr.Picardo. But he could've had a bad day,then again a lot of my friends who've met him at various conventions always say he's always like that,lol. I even managed to see James Doohan at a con in London some years ago. Do I collect autographs? Yes I do,up to a point. I got everyone from TNG and Voyager,missing four people from DSN,two from ST Enterprise and the trio from TOS. I'm considering going to the ST con in Vegas this year,even though I hear not so good things about Creation run cons. I'll see what I'll do,but since it's the weekend after Comic Con it'd be the perfect time to pop by Vegas again,lol! OH and I also have the SW cast,the old movies,and ABBA! ROFL! Also Kiss and Pet Shop Boys and a bunch of others. Some I got in person,some I wrote to,back in the day. GEE,who WRITES ON PAPER anymore,lol!

And yes,people look at me funny too,'cos of my collecting toys. But I don't care. I'm weird and I'm perfectly aware of that,lol! I also know why,so I'm fine. And yes,it makes me happy. It makes me happy coming to the US and being hyper and excited to check out new stores that I've either seen on tv shows or heard about or checked out online. It makes me happy that I get to meet people who actually think it's fun too. It makes me happy that I get out and about and go places I've not been before. And it just.....makes me happy,lol!

And yes,being hyper and excited going through security and immigration every time I go to the US is NOT the best combination! LOL! Sometimes they tell me to calm down,sometimes I just tell them that I'm just so excited about being back and sometimes I even meet the right person and we start talking movies and cons and comics and so on. Yep,more FUN! lol!

J-R!

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

The creation cons are fun. I've been to the vegas one about 3 or 4 times and its def a great time. You just have to remember that they draw the huge crowds so they charge a premium for most autographs and try and move people through quickly so they don't want fans chatting with the celebs. They always have a Q&A with them, and that where yours supposed to chat with them.

But the B listers like Chase or Suzie Plackston typically set up in the vendors room, where things arent run so strictly. Overall its always been fun.

#34 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

You going this year? Yeah,I'll probably end up going,try and get some of the missing auto's,lol!

Got three of my four boxes today,that I sent to myself from the US. Hopefully get the last one tomorrow. So great to FINALLY have my toys where they belong,with ME! lol! Had to try out some of the toys,but they need new batteries,not working at optimal efficiency yet,lol!

J-R!

#35 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hmmm....have this weird urge to change my username to snobster.   LOL!

J-R!

#36 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

lol! Do it! At least for a awhile!

Not sure if I'm going to Vegas for the Trek Con this year or not. I used to go to that and SDCC more when I lived out west. Especially when I lived in Reno. I could take a non-stop down to Vegas in the morning, spend all day at the con, and fly home on the last flight out, so I'd pick the day I wanted to go and just go on a  day pass.

#37 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

LOL! Well I looked for the option of chaning your user name but couldn't find it.

That's what I'm thinking,day pass,quick in and out,or maybe stay ONE night,not decided yet. Heck I might not even be into Trek by that time,lol! The Snobster has to move on from time to time,LOL!

J-R!

#38 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

So....did we stop being snobs? LOL! I see that Toy Hunter starts again tomorrow. I have to admit,if I can't talk him down to a price I'm willing to pay,I'm snob enough to not pay his scalper prices. LOL! I've been by his booth the last two times I went to NYCC and only bought something the first time I was there,a set of Galoob TNG figs. Wasn't willing to pay 400 bucks for Oscar Goldman from the old SIx Million Dollar Man line last year,even if he WAS MIB. Besides,my heart was set on a Maskatron,lol!

He had some ST stuff I wouldn't mind though,like the TMP bridge playset for the 3.75 figs. And the 12" Kirk and Spock that I used to have and am looking for again. But again,prices. I really can't get myself to pay stupid prices! Oh well,maybe one day I'll just go,oh to hell with it,and buy it all,lol!

The Snobster!

#39 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

I'm still a snob LOL .......  I'm with you snobster...... I have to come up with a Prometheus snob name...... "Snobster" is sooooo perfect. ;)

#40 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

right there with you guys. I was walking around Target yesterday and stopped in the toy aisle. I would pick something up and just shake my head. Now I know the difference between toys for kids and stuff aimed at collectors but most of the collector stuff is starting to look like junk to me these days.

With that being said, I picked up one of new Marvel Legends Spiderman 2 figures a couple of weeks ago and while I loved it in the store, once I got it home and opened it up I thought to myself "there's $20 less to spend on Hot Toys" and was a little annoyed with myself. So Yeah... still a snob but still a sucker. At least I don't drive all over town any more looking for all the new releases and their variants like I used to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users