Star Wars: The Black Series

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm not going to pick these up but wow those are some incredible figures!!! I know a lot of people here would love Hasbro to do the same with their Star Trek license but could DST learn anything from Hasbro and apply it to their Select line too because I hate to say it these Black Series 6 inch figures are just a cut above

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

They do look great. I am on the fence about picking any up. I may cherry pick some of my favorite characters.

I would love for Hasbro to do Star Trek just like this but would be even more happy if they did the GI Joe line in this scale.

#3 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I wish I hadn't seen this. With so little Trek available...I might have to get on board for this. I'm starting to really want these. (Reminds self about Spock quote in other post...puts down credit card...for now)

#4 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

If ti helps Toys R Us .com has been doing a pre order for them at buy one get one half off. I have put them in my virtual cart several times. LOL

#5 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Im the same.  Im on the fence on picking them up.  1701 is 100% correct.  They are a cut above the rest.  This would be the perfect way to get Trek back out on the market and with the limited waves it would be safe for retailers.

#6 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

If ti helps Toys R Us .com has been doing a pre order for them at buy one get one half off. I have put them in my virtual cart several times. LOL

I cant find them.  Do you have a link?

#7 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

well now it looks like they are down. That happened yesterday too. But they came back up later. If I see them back I will post a link.

#8 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

well now it looks like they are down. That happened yesterday too. But they came back up later. If I see them back I will post a link.

Cool.  If they come back up I would do Luke and R2 for that.  I can do with out the other two.  Maul does not look right in the face.  With that being said I like how they show what they have been looking at in deciding the look for the figures. 

#9 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Im all in for this so much so, that I'm finding my interest waning for the 3 3/4" line. Did I just say that?!!!! These truly do look fantastic and I'm usually an advocate for the 3 3/4" scale. I hope Hasbro will do something similar for Star Trek.

#10 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have never really collected Star Wars, but I'm going to get a ton of the original trilogy characters from this. I will pick and choose variants, prequel and background characters though.

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

There are two things I'd love for Hasbro to do with Star Trek now...

Release a Star Trek Black Series in both 6 inch and 3 3/4 inch scales - 4 figures, the same figures in both scales, in each wave

and...

A big USS Enterprise from The Original Series. Same quality, same size as the 2008 and 2010 Big Millennium Falcon. Opening saucer section to reveal a bridge play set, big enough for 3 3/4 inch figures, opening and launching Shuttle craft and missiles that pop out of the underside of the saucer section as well as those three round portholes on the bow of the saucer section. Lights and sounds taken from memorable episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series.

measuring over 3ft long, comes with a 3 3/4 inch Black Series Captain James T Kirk and as TV accurate as possible (just like the Millennium Falcon).

#12 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

If only. I keep hearing from people all over asking the same question, "Why are there no Star Trek toys from Into Darkness or TOS, or for 25th Anniversary of TNG or the 50th Anniversary?" If nothing happens in time for the 50th, than CBS and Paramount need to sell the Star Trek brand to Disney too!

#13 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

In all honestly I wouldn't mind if CBS/Paramount sold Star Trek to Bad Robot but I don't think selling it to Disney would be wise. Disney seem to be good at letting established production houses (Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm) do their thing and just reap the benefits from allowing them to get on with what they do. If Bad Robot had the money then I'd love them to have full creative control over Star Trek - then we might get to see a Star Trek brand as powerful as Star Wars.

#14 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

@bgiles - At least the property would be under a single corporation again. This dual-custody seems to be a big problem for the franchise.

@1701 - I love that idea, although I would add a fifth figure and launch with the captains. All five TV captains.

#15 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hasbro need to step up and launch a few must-have products to a little pomp and circumstance to create some excitement around their Star Trek line... Some big, head turning product like their Big Millennium Falcon did in 2008.

I also don't buy the excuse many of these companies use that no one would buy something that awesome and based on the Star Trek equivalent of the Millennium Falcon.. The original USS Enterprise. Done well, launched big and if Hasbro do some serious work in creating the buzz they do with their Star Wars toys then this could be huge. I can imagine people from Wars, Trek, Transformers, GI-Joe and collectors anywhere going nutty for a line of Trek and Wars figures done by Hasbro in the same scale and style as well as a BIG USS ENTERPRISE done like their Big MF and AT AT.  

And if Disney owned Star Trek Hasbro would then be able to do cross over lines, Star Trek Vs Star Wars figure packs, haha makes me wish Bad Robot owned Star Trek and Disney owned Bad Robot :) one thing's for sure, Star Trek's future really does need Bad Robot and a potential buyout from Disney.

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm thinking of how cool it would be to have Star Trek characters in that Disney Infinity game that is coming out next month too! It would also be a great way to get a Star Trek themed attraction like what used to be in Las Vegas too! The way Disney is buying up property, I wouldn't be surprised if it would happen. I doubt they would throw $4 billion at Paramount and CBS but you never know.

#17 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

I doubt Disney would buy Star Trek for $4bn. They'd probably offer 2 - 3 billion max for Star Trek if they bought it on its own. Remember they didn't just get Star Wars when they bought Lucasfilm but an entire catalogue of possibly profitable franchises. 

I do ge the feeling that when we see such excitement for Star Wars, DC, Marvel that Star Trek has been completely mismanaged by studio's who aren't that confident in it. It just seems constantly on the back foot. It sorely needs either Paramount buying it outright from CBS or someone else (ideally a production company with deep pockets or a production company of Disney, Lucasfilm perhaps) to come in and rescue it from suits without a clue...

#18 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Just been watching some of the reviews of the first line of SW Black Series and broke down and ordered a case haha oh dear.

Anyway it got me thinking about who I'd like to see in a Star Trek Black Series...

Wave 1:

Mr Spock (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Delta Vega Scotty (Star Trek 2009)

Delta Vega Keenser (Star Trek 2009)

Nero (Star Trek 2009)

SDCC Exclusive:

Orbital Dive Sulu with Romulan Soldier (Star Trek 2009)

Wave 2:

Captain Kirk (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Orbital Dive Sulu (Star Trek 2009)

Klingon Solider (Star Trek Into Darkness

Uhura (Star Trek 2009)

Wave 3:

Delta Vega Spock Prime (Star Trek 2009)

Admiral Marcus (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Carol Marcus (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Space Jump Captain Kirk (Star Trek Into Darkness)

SDCC Exclusive:

Futuristic Cop with hover bike (Star Trek 2009)

Wave 4:

Kronos Khan (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Doctor McCoy (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Checkov (Star Trek 2009)

Admiral Pike (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Wave 5:

Space Jump Khan (Star Trek Into Darkness)

Volcano Spock (Star Trek into Darkness)

Futuristic Cop (Star Trek 2009)

Young James T. Kirk (Star Trek 2009)

Wave 6:

Captain Robaru (Star Trek 2009)

George T Kirk (Star Trek 2009)

Alnschloss K’Bentayr (Kelvin Alien, Star Trek 2009)

Young Spock (Star Trek 2009)

Obviously if it were a success then it would roll on into the original movie trilogy: WoK, SfS and TVH and then beyond to the TV series but for me the success of a Star Trek Black Series would have to be the line that appeals to the biggest consumer base which for Star Trek fans but more importantly casual geeks, Star Wars fans and other fan groups, is basing it on the current JJ Abrams movies and then moving into Wrath of Khan, THEN TOS and TNG

#19 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

There was that brief moment when I thought that the Square Enix figures from SDCC were From Hasbro's presentation. I'm getting so tired of all the letdowns from Star Trek license holders. When are they going to realize that there are those of us that would buy up everything on 1701's list?

#20 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

I was at target yesterday right after they finished stocking (they were cleaning up boxes) and they had just put out the Star Wars figures fom the black series. They had all of the 3 3/4" figures but not one 6". The stocker said someone had just come in and took them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users