The Worst Star Trek Movie Is...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: The Worst Star Trek Movie (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your least favourite Star Trek movie and why?

1. Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Voted Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Star Trek: Generations (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

8. Star Trek: First Contact (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Star Trek: Insurrection (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Star Trek (2009) (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Then you never got what Roddenberrys vision of the future for mankind was. Apparently you are interested in battles and wars and constant conflict. We have plenty of that already in our lifetime, Roddenberrys 23rd century is a time when we have overcome wars here on Earth and Starfleet keeps the peace, not out looking for another war. JJ abrams universe is like taking people as they are now and giving them 23rd century technology so that everyone can shoot or blow up anything they want. You dont have a different Star Trek for a different time, thats makes no sense. Star Trek is a vision of how we can evolve from what we are now into the 23rd century that Roddenberry created. The current Star Trek is not evolving into Roddenberry's vision of the 23rd century, its going in the opposite direction. Its no longer an inspiration for people to aspire to, its just 2 hours worth of meaningless drivel to watch while your eating you $20 worth of popcorn and soda

You do have a different Star Trek for a different time because the very concept of Star Trek was about telling stories that were relevant for the day and setting them in the future! Sticking to one type of storytelling would spell disaster for Star Trek Or are you on the back end of society sticking to how things used to be rather than seeing them for what they could be? You have a very specific view on what Star Trek is to you but please allow that last bit to sink in... Star Trek is to you those things, to someone else, its going to be something else.

Today we will never see or know a Star Trek done the way Gene Roddenberry would have done it for today's audiences, so for the fans who assume they know best, the one thing we can know is that they really don't and that his legacy has lived on and will continue to do so with JJ Abrams and the men and women who follow him, charting their own interpretation's of one mans vision, created nearly 50 years ago.

Star Trek today HAS GOT to be different from what it was in the 60's because we simply do not live in a world like that anymore. Roddenberry is gone, and I know, after hearing interviews from the man himself taken during the 80's via the youtube, that he would not have wanted it to remain telling the same stories he was imagining when he was doing TOS and TNG. To do that would have made Star Trek become completely irrelevant, ignoring society today sicking to the way things used to be instead of charting new ideas.

#82 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I am sorry 1701, but i think your full of crap, and i am not debating this issue anymore with you. You have been an antagonist ever since you joined this forum. Since you dont list your age, gender or anything else, i imagine you to be a 20 year old girl who hasnt lived long enough to understand that the issues of the 60's are the same issues mankind has dealt with since man walked on earth and decided he wanted power and money and everything that looked appealing to his eye. Its the same issues today. The people change, but the issues are the same. I am done now.

#83 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am sorry 1701, but i think your full of crap, and i am not debating this issue anymore with you. You have been an antagonist ever since you joined this forum. Since you dont list your age, gender or anything else, i imagine you to be a 20 year old girl who hasnt lived long enough to understand that the issues of the 60's are the same issues mankind has dealt with since man walked on earth and decided he wanted power and money and everything that looked appealing to his eye. Its the same issues today. The people change, but the issues are the same. I am done now.

You still don't know what Gene Roddenberry would have done with Star Trek today... ;)

The people change, but the issues are the same. I am done now

I know you're done but indulge me this one last time... If people change, and I agree they do, wouldn't that also mean that the issues people, humanity, create would also change? Sure there are still war's, disease, hunger, famine, racism, bigotry, greed, religious wars, and selfishness but people's way of dealing with each of those issues and the outlook on each of those issues has changed. 

Wouldn't a change in people's attitudes towards the world and our future mean that the interpretation of our world through the eyes of entertainment, art, specifically Star Trek, would change too? I mean I'm just a 20 year old girl but it sounds to me as though it's logical to assume that as people's perspectives change, the world changes too, including the recipe for making Star Trek.

Having not lived through them I can imagine that the 60's was a time of contrasts, you had the oppression of people's civil liberties on our own doorsteps yet you had humanity on the brink of putting a man on the moon and looking towards the future. People of the 60's seemed more optimistic about their future's regardless of being just a button away from Armageddon... Star Trek reflected that. In the 80's, Star Trek again reflected the mood of the day, Today, it may be a case of similar circumstances in certain areas around the world but oppression is hardly ever found on our doorsteps, and if it is it is not accepted, people's civil liberties, however stretched they may seem are far better now than they were in the 60's, and it's no longer shocking to see a mixed race couple kissing in public, There are always exceptions to the rules but we are now (hopefully) a far more tolerant people when it comes to race, colour and gender than we were in the 60's but we are no longer a people who look to the stars for our future nor are we a race of people who care as much about exploring the final frontiers of space. Where as in the 60's the eye's of the world looked into space, can the same be said for today's world? I'd say people are more obsessed about Ben Affleck playing Batman than how we're going to reach for Mars and beyond. Like it or not, take it from a 20 year old girl, the Star Trek we have today from JJ Abrams may not have got everything right but it is far more relevant to my generation and the generations following me than The Original Series...

How sad it must be for a fraction of a fan base to a franchise that has endeavoured to be open-minded about the future and change, that these fans don't allow themselves the same benefits Star Trek has enjoyed for almost 50 years and the freedom to enjoy the adventure and get excited about what may be over the next horizon. How sad it is to know that there are fans so locked into one version of something they love that they allow any deviation from it's original path to ruin everything. I truly am sorry for those people who you VF seem to be one of.

#84 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

lol! I'm pretty sure you're not a 20 year old girl.... but if you are, you have more balls than most guys i know  :P

#85 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

lol! I'm pretty sure you're not a 20 year old girl.... but if you are, you have more balls than most guys i know  :P

HAHA :D

#86 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

1701, your arguments tend to hinge on some notion that what JJ-Trek has done is somehow original, something Trek never did before.  That is not true.  It has tackled the same themes before, and it has gone the route of action before.  Multiple times, sometimes better than others, but there are good examples.  So to continue painting it like some kind of bold new step forward into a new time for a new people is a bit much.  The most different part seems to be the pacing, to keep up with the attention spans of the day (that's not necessarily a bad thing).  That and a general removal of any internal logic thanks to bad storytellers who take shortcuts.

#87 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

1701, your arguments tend to hinge on some notion that what JJ-Trek has done is somehow original, something Trek never did before.  That is not true.  It has tackled the same themes before, and it has gone the route of action before.  Multiple times, sometimes better than others, but there are good examples.  So to continue painting it like some kind of bold new step forward into a new time for a new people is a bit much.  The most different part seems to be the pacing, to keep up with the attention spans of the day (that's not necessarily a bad thing).  That and a general removal of any internal logic thanks to bad storytellers who take shortcuts.

What are you talking about? Where have I said that JJ Abrams Star Trek is somehow original? Its Kirk and Spock! Characters 50 years old, can't get any more unoriginal if they tried! If it was truly original It would be Twerk and Smock surely?! (personally I'd love to see Margaret Cho in his/her own spin-off). Abrams Trek is however, in keeping with the trends of today being that reviving beloved fictional characters from the past and bringing them into the 21st century is the in-thing to do in the multi-billion dollar franchise world - why create something original when a studio knows that they'll be sure to make a bucket load by reinventing established and popular characters.

Look, I think I've explained my point pretty clearly, It's not the story they tell, it's how they tell it and I'm sorry if you misunderstood me but I wasn't saying that Abrams Star Trek was somehow original, what I was saying was the world has changed because the people have changed and thus, so must Star Trek continue to change - in the way it tells stories. Lets face it some aspects of Star Trek just wont have the same impact or relevance and importance they had in the 60's anymore, having people of all races on the bridge is old news and not at all shocking or provocative as it was in the 60's, I doubt many people would object or feel shocked about having a gay character on board the Starship Enterprise nowadays either. I'm not sure about your town but in the UK it's pretty normal to see coloured people treated as equals - is there still racism? certainly, but if Star Trek had a white man kiss a black woman in a new movie or episode, no one would raise a Vulcan eyebrow. Aspects that put Trek on the map are simply not taboo or shocking or pioneering anymore. So the same goes for the types of stories you tell. Are there still atrocities in the world? You'd be ignorant to think that there weren't so Star Trek's future is indeed to mirror our own world within the context of a possible future in a way that is relevant to the people of today's world, not of the world in the 1960's, 80's, or 90's. Into Darkness was about unmanned drone warfare on un-suspecting targets, it was about acting first and asking questions later (America and the western world after 9/11), it was about all the great things that Trek has done over the last 50 years, some scenes literally lifted not just from Wrath of Khan but from Abrams first Trek and it was about the militarisation of an otherwise peaceful humanitarian armada in the wake of the destruction of Vulcan as well as impending war with the Klingons and coming to terms with the right way to deal (America/western world hopefully now) with inevitable threats in a dangerous (Middle East, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan) galaxy. That story or similar stories to it have been spun many times on Star Trek, the only difference is Into Darkness told it for an audience living in the present, not the 90's, or 80's or 60's and that, clearly, was what I pointed out to VF, not that the stories were original.  

I say this again and I really hope it sinks in, I'm only a 20 year old girl but look, If you gave a girl or boy my age the choice to watch a TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT episode that dealt with the same issue as STID OR Star Trek Into Darkness, they'd pick Star Trek Into Darkness because its more relevant to them since it was written not in the 1960's but 2012/13 (however much some fans believe it ripped of Wrath of Khan).

The perhaps sad truth is, is that when Star Trek was fresh out of the gate, Roddenberry had nothing to loose, it either worked or it didn't, the fact it eventually didn't fail was perhaps not the best thing for something so radical in the way it grappled with the contentious issues of the day. Star Trek really did loose something when it became a franchise, it had to stop being revolutionary and become about being a billion dollar business that had everything to loose for it's Paramount and CBS masters

#88 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Sadly, I don't think the world has changed as much as you may think 1701. I don't say that to be pessimistic, but thats simply age talking. Take a read of "the barbary" wars, where at one point the U.S. was paying as much 20% of of its GNP to try and ward of the threat from the muslims in the middle east. That region has always been dangerous to westerners. It still is, and solutions to stabilize and normalize the region seem just as elusive today as they did over 200 years ago. Religion, specifically fundamentalism continues radicalize people in almost every corner of the planet, and drives wedges instead of helping to bring people together. I could go on, but it gets me a bit down to do so  :(

See... people saw all that negativity in the 60's too. They watched people getting killed in Vietnam every night on primetime, race riots and more. Just like we see people getting beheaded. Or shot and killed for being the wrong color and in the wrong place. People continue to do really really bad things to each other. 

Star Trek offered some hope. A glimpse that maybe... one day we'd sort all this out, get our act together and actually treat each other with dignity and respect. In a world where the reality is dystopian, Star Trek attempted to show that while the rest of galaxy might not have gotten there yet, earth and humanity had found a more utopian way. But slowly, overtime, Star Trek seems to have given up on that Utopian ideal, and become more and more dystopian. Which is too bad... because most movies are dystopian, but I suppose, dystopia sells better than utopian, which is why there really aren't many series or movies that can pull it off.

#89 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Since we're talking originality of story, form, and theme here, not originality of implementation details such as character names, I find your first paragraph to be pointless to the discussion.  If all this time, your repetition of the notion that this is "Star Trek for today" simply meant "for today" insofar as "being another reboot like every other movie today" and nothing more then your argument is even more thin than I thought.

Your second paragraph begins with a strange attempt to say that the stories of Star Trek's past are not worth telling anymore, which would suggest you are trying to say that Star Trek's present (JJ Trek) is somehow telling a different, ergo ORIGINAL, type of story, but yet you just got done telling us that you've never been saying it's original.  Which is it?

And yes, there is still racism against African-Americans in the United States.  One need only look at the reaction to our current president to see that.  But there is an even more intense racism/prejudice in the US and world at large right now toward Muslims.  Currently it looks like there will always be racism.

The second half of that paragraph lists the terrorism-related themes in Into Darkness.  But let me ask you, while the movie certainly *showed* those things happening, what did it REALLY say about them?  Can you actually vocalize for us what message was there that you brought home, and how you extracted that meaning from what you saw?  I personally felt it was more like a pseudo-intellectual "gee, look at all the so-called relevance we can slap on the screen to justify giant action scenes, and watch how we skirt any responsibility of providing our own meaning to this mess".  To show us a microcosm of what has just happened in reality is pointless -- we already know what has happened -- now what do we learn from it?  Star Trek always sought to show us how to be a better race.  Why is it suddenly satisfied to just show us how to be the lesser race we already know how to be?

It sounds like you've realized the primary difference between JJTrek and what's come before is style.  I see that style as having been so heavily modified to fit the competition and the times that substance, believability, and the entire point of Star Trek has been sacrificed.

#90 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

You only have to look at the past 50 years of Star Trek to know that the world, and society has changed, TNG is wildly different in tone and story-telling than TOS was, DS9 is a radical departure from TNG and now we have Abrams Trek which is a departure from all of the previous incarnations - the world might still be a terrible place, full of the terrible things but I can't agree with the opinion that we are living in the same society as we were in the 60's. Hell I'm 28 and even I can see how much the world has changed from when I was a young teenager, the explosion of rolling news, social media has had a huge impact in the way people communicate with each other. The way we fight wars has changed too from even Vietnam or the first Gulf-War. Technology has had a huge impact in not just our personal lives, but the way the human race lives, how can anyone here say that the world is the same place as it was in 2001 let alone 1966.  

We may face the same challenges as the world did in 1966 but its how we deal with those challenges that has ultimately changed and art, entertainment, Star Trek has indeed reflected that,

Your intent Wirlygig, on changing the subject just won't work since I was not talking about originality of story or story specifics or even of Into Darkness primarily. I think my opinion was pretty clear to begin with, people's outlook in this world has changed, we can tell this by looking at how we live our lives now compared to how we were living our lives in the 60's, society has changed, for better or for worse regardless, that will indeed change the way we think and thus change the way artists paint, writers, write, directors direct and ultimately influence the people charged with creating Star Trek - the people making it and the people running it. Star Trek needed to change too, In 1982 it did it with Wrath of Khan, in 1987 it did it with TNG, in 1993 it did it with DS9, in 2001 it did it with Enterprise and in 2009 it did it with "Star Trek", it did in whatever way it needed to end of... so VF replied... But it's not Star Trek!!! Well film and TV are all subjective so think what you like but as a business, Trek was dead before Abrams came along and ultimately, 50 years on from the original, Star Trek is not just one TV series that changed the world anymore, it is a franchise, and whilst a franchise rich with history, exploration of not just space but ideas and the human condition, it has and will always exist only to make more money off of it's fans and potential new fans, what people take from the series past, present and future is again, subjective to that individual and there's no doubt that any new Star Trek movie or TV series will continue to embrace the era in which it is created in... that's all I was saying.  

What I took from Star Trek Into Darkness was personal to me, I lost my father to cancer a few years ago and both the 2009 movie and Into Darkness and especially Chris Pine's Kirk, made me come to terms with my own feelings and to accept that no matter what you loose in life no matter how much you feel hopeless and helpless, no matter how far you sink or how much you cock up, as long as you believe in your own abilities and remain dedicated to your passions in life, you will not only surprise yourself but you will live up to your fathers name, to my dad's name, to Captain Pike's name... But look, there are messages in everything so I think everyone is going to see something different if they look for it (If you're going in already hating the idea of an alternate timeline then you're not likely to see anything but the wiz bang) when they watch a movie like any of the Trek movies and really most of the TV epsiode's too. So besides taking something personal from the two Abrams movies I can't say I've taken much of a general message from any of the Star Trek movies. Can people honestly say they took a lot of deep and meaningful messages from Wrath of Khan? Of course not. With every Star Trek movie, their emphasis is on friendships, emotions. Into Darkness, Insurrection, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country are the few Trek movies who've commented on social and ethical dilemmas in a more direct way. Into Darkness commentated on whether or not it was right to start a war before one begun? It seemed as though we saw an Admiral intent on preserving peace at any cost (George W Bush?) acting on emotion rather than rational thinking after a brutal attack that destroyed Vulcan. And then you had the USS Vengeance (on the nose) and designing and preparing to go to war by launching unmanned drone attacks on a possible enemy (the Klingons) and using dictators (Khan) to do our bidding, only to have them turn on us and asking the very controversial question, do these dictators have a point in being pissed off? Dictators who were given everything by the west (Marcus) only to have it taken away from them when they became too powerful or too much of a risk? And even worse, sending our troops (The Enterprise) into the danger zone to hunt down and kill this dictator at any cost (sabotaging the Enterprise to incite war with the Klingons...)

But besides all of that, it was a Star Trek story, great action, great acting and a message there if you wanted to see it, and that's a reality of all film, old Trek or Abrams Trek, it is all subjective.

#91 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I just set and read this entire thread, LOL you guys crack me up. I have a friend of mine that says they ALL suck!! LOL to each his own.

#92 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

There are changes in pop culture, and there are changes in fundamental issues that have plagued our race since the beginning of time.  The former obviously occurs constantly, the latter not so much.  Which race is being discriminated against, and why changes...who is at war with whom, and why changes....which socially unacceptable behavior is frowned upon at the moment changes...  But the fact that these conflicts between individuals and groups exist and will continue to exist does not.

Technology has improved how quickly we can spread news of injustice to those who might be motivated to do something about it, and has given us the ability to better educate ourselves (but like a double-edged sword has also made it easier for people to "educate" themselves with false information).  But the game is not over yet; we are not living in Star Trek's future yet.

It is clear at this point that you are only talking about stylistic changes to the storytelling to keep up with pop culture when you say this Star Trek is for our time.

Keep in mind that most of us including myself have already concluded/admitted that the movies tend, as you say, not to be as focused on deep and meaningful messages as the TV shows have been.  I find it interesting to listen to you extract meaning out of Into Darkness after just having stated the very similar film TWOK contains little.  I see the questions you mention being asked in STID, but I don't see STID answering them, not blatantly and not even symbolically.  I recall none of the characters even taking time to reflect on what is happening, they just react to the 900 mile per hour plot.  And no reflection can be achieved through background information or camera work because the movie is too busy jumping from shot to shot.  Not to mention they are the same questions that many, many other post-9/11 films have been asking (and of course many pre-9/11 films too).  I've only seen it once, though.  Home video will soon give me the chance to revisit and see if I can find any more depth than I did the first time.

I'm curious, what are some of your all-time favorite films (not limiting yourself only to sci-fi)?  Personally, for me, Star Trek is definitely my favorite multimedia franchise and sci-fi universe, but I don't think a single Star Trek film would be on my list of even the top 100 films.  The only one that would be up for consideration is The Final Frontier, only because of its boldness of showing audiences that any "God" may be a phony, but I doubt I would include it.

#93 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Trends are always changing and this does apply to the film and TV industry which Trek is a part of, its entertainment at the end of the day, not a documentary on society and the issues we face but I think we'll go round in circles if I respond to all of what you say so I think we've both given our own opinions and I can't add anymore to what I've said.

My all-time favourite films... I don't really have any, I have films I enjoy but the reason I go to the cinema is to be entertained. Jurassic Park holds a special place in my heart, Star Trek First Contact, Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness I thought were brilliantly well crafted blockbusters, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is purely spectacular and probably could never be topped, Batman Begins blew me away, Thor I thoroughly enjoyed, Toy Story is pure fun, The Lion King, Aladdin lol but I'd have to say I'm a TV man, Boston Legal is my favourite, Frasier, Friends, Gavin & Stacey (UK drama), Top Gear (UK), Fresh Meat (UK drama/comedy), Grand Designs (interior design programme in the UK), Star Trek Enterprise, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek The Next Generation...

#94 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just set and read this entire thread, LOL you guys crack me up. I have a friend of mine that says they ALL suck!! LOL to each his own.

Winner! I think on that note I'm out!

#95 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Been meaning to reply to you 1701 about favorite movies, no time yet.

But I wanted to share this from TrekMovie.com.  I have to say, when TrekMovie.com is posting critical articles about the film franchise that drives its very existence (the site was started in advance of ST09 to feed on hype), something may be wrong.  Before this movie came out they would barely tolerate any dissent in the comments, now they are posting it themselves.

http://trekmovie.com...-how-to-fix-it/

Just about every relevant thought on this forum is echoed concisely in this article; here is what I have largely said in this thread:

Most science fiction on TV before Star Trek was, effectively, children’s programming. Shows like Space Cadet or Lost In Space, where fantastical concepts and action sequences were more important than dramatic storytelling and strong characterization. Star Trek and other shows like it broke from that juvenile cycle and were adult stories targeted at intelligent viewers. Looking at Star Trek Into Darkness, one sees the same storytelling trend that other summer blockbusters are suffering from – an over reliance on action sequences and bombast, where visual effects supplant acting and story. It’s more like Space Cadet on the big screen than Star Trek.

#96 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Been meaning to reply to you 1701 about favorite movies, no time yet.

But I wanted to share this from TrekMovie.com.  I have to say, when TrekMovie.com is posting critical articles about the film franchise that drives its very existence (the site was started in advance of ST09 to feed on hype), something may be wrong.  Before this movie came out they would barely tolerate any dissent in the comments, now they are posting it themselves.

http://trekmovie.com...-how-to-fix-it/

Just about every relevant thought on this forum is echoed concisely in this article; here is what I have largely said in this thread:

Wow, that was a great article and i agree with it. Karl Urban even gets it. I looked at a few of the comments below the article and they echo what ive been hearing here " $457 million made, best Star Trek movie ever". Hogwash. If you have to pay 250 million to make 457 million, your not successful. You made your money back and very little profit considering how long it took to make this movie. This movie would need to make $1.5 billion to be considered a big success in the movie business and percentage wise it still would be behind TWOK in percentage of profit made. Since trekmovie.com is known to be read by Orci and Kurtzman, i hope they will remove their heads from the body cavity they had them in while writing Into Darkness and write a real Star Trek movie next time, or leave and let someone else write it.

#97 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Dang :( Sucking me back in. I agree with everything in that article. But in particular... this statement.

Just as the original series broke from convention to tell adult stories, Star Trek needs to once again break from the past and stop being about the Enterprise and crew. Yes, I know, this might be a scandalous idea to many of you reading this, but think about it: We have had hundreds of episodes and almost a dozen movies about the crew of the Enterprise. We need to look at a new ship, a new crew, and explore new ground. Have a link to the past (maybe a crew member or two), but Star Trek needs to move forward.

And that means saying goodbye to what came before, in a clean break.

I think this is very very true. Leave the enterprise be. We love it, it's stories are there to enjoy. Time to move on. 

On that note I was also thinking more radical. Perhaps a show called simply "Vulcan" where we get to see the federation from the perspective of Vulcan. Clearly there are many untold stories of the Vulcan's and if they bring it back to the small screen perhaps thats the direction it should go. 

Otherwise, we need a clean break, a new ship and crew. Somewhat like DS9 or Voyager.

#98 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Good article, but if moving forward means forgetting the past (i.e. another reboot), then that's me done completely. I'm quite happy to be that guy who'll chew someones ear off about how fortunate I was to grow up with TV that had great story and drama, not just explosion after explosion. I'm not just talking about Star Trek here, but also stuff like the Sopranos. TV shows that didn't just appeal to those with the attention span of a gnat.

As I've said before, give me a few model/toy ships, and the DVD/Blu-Rays of the original films and series, and I'm all good. :)

#99 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

I don't think another reboot is necessary. I actually didn't think this reboot was necessary. I think the federation should be large enough and vast enough that they could tell stories about another ship or another planet. So youdon't have to forget the past, but you can move on.

#100 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

I might be wrong as regards the person who said it (someone did!), but I think LeVar Burton said it best - 'Star Trek should be moving forward, not backwards' - and I completely agree.

Mini-rant:

Look at the communicator in TOS, then look at mobile phones in the late 90's. Look at the TNG era with their PADDs, Hyposprays (design here, I know TOS had it as well), Touchscreens and Tricorders. They're all relevant NOW, and the show was made over 20 years ago! That's what I want from Star Trek, along with a good-looking replacement for Lcars (one that is forward thinking, and that won't seem out of date for ages to come, same as lcars).

So yes - show us post-Nemesis. That said, I suppose that's what a new TV show should be, not a movie. But to sum up/bring it back on topic, I wish the films were same-universe, but in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users